5D Mark II Dual ISO Video

Started by Danson Delta-40, December 14, 2016, 11:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danson Delta-40

Hey everyone!

I remember a while ago before I had access to a 5D Mark II there was a thread where the 5D Mark II was hacked to be able to shoot Dual ISO raw video like the 5D Mark III. Where has that thread gone or has it ker-sploded because it wasn't reliable?

Searched the forums. Thanks for the help!
GOING POSTAL SINCE 1995 BABY

ilia3101

It's still here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16854.0 I've used it a bit, but causes crashes when I zoom to focus so not reliable(yet). Would be nice to see it work completely.

Danson Delta-40

Ok now how the hell do I actually convert this?

MLP is waaaay too involved in all the downloading, and one of the links in the README file doesn't work.

MLVFS won't mount.

I dont have a PC to use any of the windows only converters.

How the hell do I actually convert 5dMkII dual Iso MLV files to something usable???

I'd love to use cr2hdr but it seems nobody updated it for the 5DMkII...

DeafEyeJedi

What exactly is the problem with you using MLP? Care to elaborate and maybe we can help you down the pipeline? Have you at least checked out cr2hdr.app?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Which link?
Quoteone of the links in the README file doesn't work.

Danson Delta-40

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on December 16, 2016, 08:32:24 AM
What exactly is the problem with you using MLP? Care to elaborate and maybe we can help you down the pipeline? Have you at least checked out cr2hdr.app?

CR2HDR Doesn't work with Dual ISO MLV files from the 5D Mark II. That is why I don't use it.

I deleted all my MLP Files but the link that wasn't working was the FFMpeg one. Regardless Im not going to bother with MLP because Im terrible at following instructions like that and having to manually assemble a working program. I'm seriously confused as to why there isn't just one big download with an installer for mlp.

MLVFS Would be great except when I get the browser menu started it doesnt show any files, and the mount doesn't actually do anything. Its completely empty. I've gone through the installation on my mac several times and it has never worked for me.

Danson Delta-40

http://imgur.com/a/Tk1VK

That's all I am getting from MLVFS. Empty Folders. Nothing inside them no matter what I seem to do or settings chosen.

Danne

cr2hdr.app is stand alone so probably better then. You can start reading from HOWTO at the bottom of the first post.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg146822#msg146822

There were some early tweaks in cr2hdr by a1ex for 5D mark II and here I put that cr2hdr binary inside a version of cr2hdr.app here for you to try.
Upload a sample mlv file as well if you can.
cr2hdr app for dualiso with 5d mark II
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr/downloads/cr2hdr_5D_mark_II_dualiso.dmg

MLVFS is probably the safest bet so if that isn,t working I,m not sure if anything else will.
Good luck.

reddeercity

Quote from: Danson Delta-40 on December 16, 2016, 09:39:51 AM
That's all I am getting from MLVFS. Empty Folders. Nothing inside them no matter what I seem to do or settings chosen.
Seems strange , I haven't had any problem with my 5d2 & dual ISO video with mlvfs .
Both PC & Mac versions of mlvfs work well but it does take some time to process the 20bit image .
I use pc with BarracudaGUI for cr2hdr dual iso  , Very very Fast ! .
You have 2X2 chroma smoothing enabled , Vertical Stripes Fix (? why ,work with 5d3 not 5d2) , Fixed pattern noise (is it Noisy ??) , Etc.... ... processing time will take for every :( .
Use just default values first (enable dual iso "full 20bit")and
try less files at once (maybe try just one) and all MLV file should be on the same drive as being extracted to.
Preferably on a SSD Or Raid "0" (minimum 2 spindle hard drives striped ) . I only turn on options only if needed !
Don't work of the CF Card copy the dual iso mlv's to your local drive and work from there .
Make sure your computer/Mac up to task of heavy processing (SSD , fast ram , etc.. )   

If you want to be sure you recording is not corrupted , extract normally with mlvfs (disable Dual ISO 20bit) and
you should have a image that looks like it's interlaced.

Edit: just to be clear , did you refresh the web page after you selected your options ?

jpegmasterjesse

I just had some success with 12/10bit on 5d2, so I thought I push things too far and try Dual-Iso 12 bit.

Here's the thing - I've also never been able to get dual-iso working in post.  The black level is always way off.  I had a hell of a time with MLP in the past, so I just tried the latest version of Fuse and I'm still getting a mostly green image with messed up blacks.

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: Danne on December 16, 2016, 09:53:02 AM

There were some early tweaks in cr2hdr by a1ex for 5D mark II and here I put that cr2hdr binary inside a version of cr2hdr.app here for you to try.
Upload a sample mlv file as well if you can.
cr2hdr app for dualiso with 5d mark II
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr/downloads/cr2hdr_5D_mark_II_dualiso.dmg

This link is down - any chance you'd reupload it?

Cheers.

Danne

Can´t remember where I placed it. Anyway, dualiso files itself coming from 5D mark II seems to be the real problem here, not cr2hdr.

jpegmasterjesse

It was probably a bad idea - but I added the dual-iso.mo with the recent 12/10 bit x02 (sp?) Build and did some tests.  MLV lite worked with 10 and 12 bit Dual, processed easily by MLVFS.

Danne

Cool. Could you upload some sample MLV files?

jpegmasterjesse

Here they are!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R8l9JURsxs6o0PQh0g9pyiM1a9loiADC

M10-2258: MLV Lite, 10 Bit, Dual-Iso
M10-2259: MLV Lite, 12 bit, Dual-Iso

Danne

Thanks. Processed with mlv_dump on steroids(bouncyball) with parameter convert to bitdepth set to 14 bit. What´s the glow dot in the middle?

jpegmasterjesse

I'm 99% sure it's just a reflection.

jpegmasterjesse

As I am want to do, I tried combining the old, hacky, but still functional 5d2 dual_iso module I had laying around with the exciting new 3K experiments on the 5d2.  However, I am met with a note on the module saying that it is an old API. "Expecting 7.0".

So it appears that a new attempt at dual_iso on the 5d2 might be timely. Hope someone is willing to give it a shot!

waza57

alexboum

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on September 04, 2018, 03:47:48 AM
As I am want to do, I tried combining the old, hacky, but still functional 5d2 dual_iso module I had laying around with the exciting new 3K experiments on the 5d2.  However, I am met with a note on the module saying that it is an old API. "Expecting 7.0".

So it appears that a new attempt at dual_iso on the 5d2 might be timely. Hope someone is willing to give it a shot!

Hello jpegmasterjesse, I would like to know if you could make works the waza57 dual_iso module with one the raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState  version? Because I got the same message about old API version. And my CFcard is to slow to write FULL HD 14bit but 12bit and 10bit iare OK  :-* .
If I recompile the module from source with the new API 7.0 will it work?
Thanks you for your help.

EDIT:31-10-2019
Quote from: reddeercity on August 22, 2019, 05:26:51 AM
I just update/ported dual-iso video to 4k5d2 crop_rec branch , just testing right now --  5xZoom & 3x3 (FHD) work @ 10bit
check in MLV App , but I had to force dual iso process as it was not detected right away . I'll post a build shortly in
"3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams" thread

Edit: https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/magic-lantern_10-12bit/downloads/dual_iso_video-updates_8-21-2019.zip