Save accelerometer data to file for post-stabilization.

Started by feureau, September 06, 2014, 01:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

a1ex

Already done (with MLV). Just enable the electronic level and the data will be logged.

dannyqt18

how would one use the information for stabilization ?

dmilligan

Write a program that uses this data to stabilize the video, or write a program that translates this data to some format understood by some program that can already do this.

stoopkid

The problem is that camera shake is 99% rotation, not movement. Accelerometer data wont do much good to fix that. You would want a gyroscope, which is likely what that guy's device is using. An accelerometer is fine for detecting general orientation, but not really something that will be accurate enough to correct camera shake. Even if you went through the huge amount of trouble to translate that information it's not going to be nearly as useful as stabilizing video visually.

saeed2vfx

Quote from: feureau on September 06, 2014, 01:36:21 AM
Like this: http://petapixel.com/2014/09/05/steadxp-hopes-add-accelerometer-dslrs-gopros-better-image-stabilization/#more-144279

Quote from: dannyqt18 on September 13, 2014, 02:22:57 PM
how would one use the information for stabilization ?

I can write program for this reason, but now I don't have camera for record and test it.
if anyone can record and send for me, i can test it.

350D

As i known - SteadyXP uses audio channel to sync the movement data with video. Another idea - you can use custom app on your smartphone (gyroscopes, accelerometers) to record this data and then sync it in post somehow (sound, or trigger).

eNnvi

not shure we have enough processor speed for both recording and quaternions calculation IMHO

saeed2vfx

Quote from: 350D on December 27, 2016, 10:36:24 PM
As i known - SteadyXP uses audio channel to sync the movement data with video. Another idea - you can use custom app on your smartphone (gyroscopes, accelerometers) to record this data and then sync it in post somehow (sound, or trigger).

thanks 350D,
Almost all android app I tested can not record data with fixed sample rate  :-\

Quote from: eNnvi on December 28, 2016, 12:12:14 AM
not shure we have enough processor speed for both recording and quaternions calculation IMHO
if you have a Canon Camera , test it !  ;D