Help deciding between two ssd's

Started by pauldu27, August 01, 2012, 04:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauldu27

Hi guys.
I know this is really off topic, but right now I am looking at two different SSD's. My money is kind of tight so these are two I options I can afford. My question is should I go with the OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB, or the OCZ Vertex 4 64 GB? I will be loading windows OS, and Adobe suite onto it. My main concern is, will the 64 gb drive be big enough? But also is the Vertex 4 worth it because it is faster?
Thank you.

Francis

I have no experience with SSDs but for me it depends on just how much faster the smaller drive is. Also moving this thread to the Hardware forum.

Led

Hi, what are you planning on running from the drive?
Keep in mind things like photo editing effects and video fx are rendered in ram, so where the difference in speed between the 2 drives would be noticeable is in using a program that needs to pull a lot of info from a drive at one time. In my case, I use audio software that plays a lot of audio tracks at once. With a Sata drive some of thee are loaded into ram and played from there, but with a SSD it doesn't need to be loaded into ram so it can all be played straight from the hard drive.
If you aren't using programs that need to pull alot of data off the drive in realtime then I would go for the slower bigger drive. In using normal system type stuff I don't think the difference between the 2 SSD's will frustrate you, but running out of space quickly will.
What are the difference in read/write times and what sort of stuff are you using the computer for?

pauldu27

Thanks for the quick responses  :) I am using this drive primarily for startup, and premiere pro, after effects, etc. I do have 2 terabytes drives for storage. The r/wr speeds for the 128gb drive are 550/500 and the newer drive is 560/510. Thank you.

screamer

Hi,
i'm using a ssd driver of 256Gb exactly for your pourposes, on windows 7. Mine is a Kingston ssdNow 200v. here you can find some techincal data about it: http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/sv200s3_en.pdf
at the time i've buyed it was the less expensive, less than ocz. i don't know how it is compared to other manufacturer, but i'm really happy, and i see the change, the boot and the programs startup are very fast, ways faster that before (before i had a barracuda with 10000rpm, that now use for virtual memory).
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

falum2002

I went for a crucial M4 128gb.  prem pro loads so much faster. you wont regret buying one.

hd1roam

I have the Intel 120gb SSD on a 6gbs MB, Win7, 16gb RAM. Wouldn't be without one anymore. Use if for OS and primary apps. Data... pic files on secondary WD Black Caviar 1.5TB. The speed is incredible, but I came from and old XP machine with 2gb ram.

64gb SSD seems a bit small to me if you are going to have a full suite of photo/video apps.
ML ver. 2.3: mostly still photos, HDR, pano, and some video. Targets of choice; Art, landscape, wildlife, collector vehicles, events. Equipment; EOS 550D/T2i | EF 100-400mm L USM - EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS - EF-S 55-250mm IS - Win7Ult., Lightroom, Photomatix, Topaz Labs, Hugin, GIMP, Smugmug