I have a dream about the homepage :)

Started by screamer, August 01, 2012, 03:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screamer

Hi all,
i'm visiting this forum many times every day. But everytime i pass from the homepage of the site, just to see the news and so on.
And the first thing i see is that barbie. nothing to tell about that foto, i like it. But should be great if that image inside the camera will change often (everyday?)
So i have an idea:
why don't post, in a sticky on the forum or something like that, a template for inserting something in that place, and let the users of the forum to post here their homepages? then the admins of the site (b4rt for example) can select thei'r preferred and put it online when they want/have time.
This is a wonderful idea... isn't it? ;))
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

a1ex

A similar idea is used on t2iforum.com - photo of the month. Users submit photos like in a competition, then other users vote what photo will be next month on the home page.

KarateBrot

If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

bart

Good idea,

But the dimensions are fixed width="900px" height="310px"
Try to compress around 60kb. This picture is loaded a lot.
Extra slides are also welcome. As long as it's a quick introduction to ML features.

screamer

Great, i'm happy you appreciate b4art. Of course all must be fixed, i will try imediately to do some soon :D
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

screamer

and about the homepage, i want to point at a little design issue with ipad 2 and other mobile devices. the slideshow is "cutted" on the right side. The rest of the site is ok. I don't know what slideshow module are you using on joomla, but probably there's some that change dynamically dimensions on the mobile too (for example cutting a part of image for fitting the lower resolution)
Gear:

a1ex

Just remembered about this - and I think it deserves a bump :)

bart

You can win the barbie if you come up with a great replacement. :)

ilguercio

Quote from: b4rt on October 11, 2012, 11:02:15 PM
You can win the barbie if you come up with a great replacement. :)
A1ex has got too many toys at home already (i got proofs about that, he told me in a mail) so it's better not to overload his house with stuff in case he needs to move. I don't want hime to spend a fortune for a moving company.
:D
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Pelican

Quote from: b4rt on August 01, 2012, 02:03:33 PM

Good idea,

But the dimensions are fixed width="900px" height="310px"
Try to compress around 60kb. This picture is loaded a lot.
Extra slides are also welcome. As long as it's a quick introduction to ML features.

Maybe I've got it wrong but I think he wanted to change the picture on the camera display only which is approximately 378x213.
I've made a little tool which can insert any picture to the original. To avoid distortion better to crop the picture to 16:9 format.
http://pel.hu/mlpic.php
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

a1ex

Excellent, Pel! Just tried it and works great.

So, probably we can set a time frame for submissions (let's say next two weeks), then a period for voting (let's say 29-31 October), and the winner becomes photo of the month for November. Then, repeat the same thing for December. Just an idea (not mine, but copied from t2iforum).

bart

Very nice work thanks and very pretty picture. I'll try this one out right away!

[off topic] Is this Glassfrog from your south American hide?

bart

I made a 7D variation because of the news. When the contest starts we can do the 60D frontpage and photo of the month.

jplxpto

Hello guys,
I suggest change the picture whenever there is a major development.
We can choose the best picture of the forum ... or if the pelican accepting put one of your beautiful photos.