70D is broken, not sure if magic lantern or trauma other day, crash log.

Started by JamesH, December 04, 2016, 09:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesH

ASSERT: 0
at ./MovieRecorder/MovRecState.c:411, task MovieRecorder
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2016Oct26.70D112
Mercurial changeset   : 6f7addb46f0d (70D_merge_fw112) tip
Built on 2016-10-26 08:44:16 UTC by ml@ml-pc.
Free Memory  : 165K + 1773K

is that the crash log?

My RAW recording capabilities changed after a day, started stuttering and skipping frames when it didnt the day before. I also noticed the internal temp went up really fast, and never went below 149 even after i put it outside for atleast an hour (close to freezing Im in Canada). I have to remember if it was after the trauma to my camera or not.

So I was actually filming h.264 when it crashed. I was making sure I could record a long clip still with the regular settings and I got a notice from canon as well to take my battery out it couldn't continue recording

JamesH

a1ex

Is this something you got once, or it happens every time you record?

Does it also happen without ML?

JamesH

I actually haven't turned my camera back on since this happened. I was waiting to see if anyone had information pertaining to the crash log before I damage my camera anymore, as the internal temp warning was always on and never went lower than 149 even after I put it out in the cold.

Walter Schulz

JamesH

I did answer it. My worries about continuing to damage my camera can't be addressed before I turn it back on?

teatotalTED

I feel for you, but no one is going to say yes its ok to turn back on without a poviso of but its upto you, even if they had an incling what the crash log meant. You'll have to make the judgement whatever, there will be no certainty.

If it were me I'd just put aa empty card in, fire the camera up and find out, if it's damaged a!ready then it'll cost to repair and probably a repair shop would quote such a high figure as its uncertain how far any damage has gone that it becomes uneconomical, the risk of damaging it further would be of minor concern. That's if its damaged at all.

Alternatively you could always send it to a repair centre for a quote, but even then they won't be held responsible for any further damage that might possibly occur due to the cameras state.

Frarike

If the crash is repeatable it will most likely crash in the same way, causing no further damage. But like teatotal was saying, if its broke its broke. You either never turn the camera on ever again or you do and find out if it is or not.
70D.112

JamesH

thanks guys I'll give it a shot today. I got an Ursa mini so I have left it alone for now.

JamesH

So I turned it back on. I checked the internal temperature, still at 149 (help needed) and will not go below that as I remember last time it crashed. I started recording 23.976 fps 50 shutter speed, H.264 not raw, with focus peaking on. I turned it off as I seen the temperature rising. I filmed with just the regular Canon display with ISO and shutter speed etc. info. Temperature rose to 185 in a matter of 2 minutes. Turned camera off to avoid further damage. Any info on what internal temperature even is would be great. It would be nice to just be able to repair my camera instead of throwing it in the garbage. Thanks for all your time and help.

Walter Schulz

JamesH

I did answer. The temperature rose extremely fast, and guaranteed to shut down if I kept recording. Instead of risking further damage, I'd rather use common sense and say it will shutdown if I keep recording.

a1ex

You did not answer my second question.

Quote from: JamesH on January 20, 2017, 03:54:57 PM
guaranteed to shut down if I kept recording

Who offered this guarantee? Any error message from Canon firmware?

Quote from: JamesH on January 09, 2017, 02:03:11 AMAny info on what internal temperature even is would be great.

Quote from: JamesH on January 09, 2017, 02:03:11 AM
149 (help needed)

That "help needed" refers to you, 70D owners!

There's a link in the menu. Follow it.

JamesH

Thanks Alex. I gaurenteed it. Yes Canon's warning came up and shut down the camera when it happened.

JamesH

I will uninstall magic lantern now and run it and see what happens

JamesH

JamesH

recording for 5 minutes now everything is good! that makes me happy :) I will wait till 10 minutes, then I will re-install magic lantern and see with focus peaking on, what do you think? I am just recording 24 fps, the same frame rate it crashed at.

JamesH

recorded for over 15 minutes straight no problem without ML. Im actually not going to put ML back on. I am happy it still works. Thanks hope you can figure out what went wrong!

a1ex

Focus peaking will give higher CPU usage. Tip: the so-called DIGIC peaking does not increase CPU usage at all, and does not require Global Draw (as it's not drawing anything on the screen; it's just a parameter of the display device).

FPS override may result in sensor overheating as well in some cases, but the opposite can be also true.

To check whether high CPU usage may cause overheating, run a test like this.

You can get the battery drain rate from the Debug menu. Just wait for the battery level to drop by 2 units under the tested workload, before writing down the drain rate.