Yet Another RAW Video Calculator

Started by ilia3101, November 28, 2016, 03:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

edit: I """put""" this under GPL license, i know the code is scrambled on to one line by the upload service but you can find a javascript beautifier. Not that anyone would find this spaghetti valuable.

http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_desktop
(Couldn't figure out how to upload it to github so generic service shall do)

I have been working on this calculator in my spare time over the last week to replace typing massive formulas in to my phone's calculator app and to practice JavaScript, I learned a lot about HTML and CSS too. I realised there already are calculators here, so I have tried to make it as useful as possible, combining everything I know about RAW video.

Will calculate:

• Bitrate
  • Record time
  • Record time per card
  • Crop factor
  • Equivalent focal length
  • Field of view

Can be customised:

• Resolution
  • Aspect ratio
  • Frame rate
  • Camera modes: crop mode, mv720
  • Bit depth
  • Lens
  • Card size
  • Camera specs(sensor, writespeed, etc...)

Some camera details might be wrong as I could not find all information, so tell me what I got wrong and improvements that should be made. I hope you find it useful ;)

Update #1
Suggestions have been implemented, bit depth is now selectable in a drop down menu, and so is framerate. I have also added tool tips(not that the geniuses here need them).
There is also a mobile version with fewer features: http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_mobile

Update #2
I've missed hundreds of updates, but now compression ratio can be entered. Don't enter compression ratio over 7.9 or it will think its bit depth :D, luckily compression doesn't increase size.

reddeercity

Yes work well , the things I would suggest is make the Bit depth (10,12,14) drop down menu along with frame rate (23.976 , 25 , 29.97 , 48 , 50 , 59.94 or 60)
I didn't know that the bit depth , frame rate , etc... . fields are editable , only by chance did I discover that so maybe make a text note of something to tell users
all fields are editable .
my 2c

teatotalTED

This looks really useful, what about hiding the crop factor and just providing the important bit which would be equivilent horizontal angle of view, maybe equivilent diagonal aov for different aspect ratios. I often find myself reading up on wha camera, lens and focal lengths were used in a shot of a movie and working out ehaov for a 50D, its far easier admittedly to compare aps-c to 35mm motion picture film as imaging area is near identical, unless trying to compare Vistavision or such.

kontrakatze

Nice work! Great would be a hint about which settings in ML lead to maximum performance for this specific camera. For example buffer settings, oberlays, hacks and so on. Maybe this information could be added at the bottom. It would help a lot, if you work with different cameras on set, which you do not know all very well.

Regards,
Kontrakatze

ilia3101

Thank you for all the feedback!

@reddeercity Good idea to make those drop down menus, it definitely speeds up using it. I'll try to make it clearer for the user that the fields are editable.
I've just made those options be drop down menus, more improvements later too, I'll also try to add a custom option in those menus if the user wants to type their own value.
@teatotalTED Thank you for the horizontal angle of view suggestion, I think its a really great idea. I'll do that in a couple of hours when I have time.
@kontrazake Thank you! I'll try to add some hints later ;D

teatotalTED

Nice update and minor comment about the crop factor and equivalent focal length in the final calculation. For example if I have a 40mm lens on APS-C then the calculator shows the correct angle of view for my choice APS-C. So I'm not interested what equivalent focal length I would need on a full frame camera ie: 61mm to get the equivalent angle of view to the APS-C choice.

If I wanted to know the angle of view for a full frame I could enter it as my choice instead of APS-C. For me as a non photographer the whole crop factor thing is just photography baggage, admittedly many new cameras have multitude of sensor capture areas.

But look at all the movies made over the years, many of our favorites and they're on APS-C sized 35mm motion picture film, Super35 and new movies / TV shows on Alexa. To me that's where comparisons / equivalents would be good, not full frame, DSLR revolution or not.

But great update.

It would be useful to be able to enter AOV required to see what focal length is required for the users choice of sensor size, aspect ratio and resolution along with the all important raw calculation.

A bit confused over the angle of view calculation. For example on a 50D the full APS-C sensor area is 4752 pixels wide, physical size approx 25.1 × 16.7 mm 3:2, but the 50D maxes out at 1584 wide and likewise for vertical max, are the max horizontal and vertical for any camera taken as the full sensor physical area in your calculation of horizontal angle of view, is that how ML raw works? Forgetting crop mode for now. Reducing the horizontal and vertical resolution in the calculator below the camera's max possible appears to act as a matte cropping and reducing the angle of view.

ilia3101

@teatotalTED Glad you like it, I am making some changes right now, so there is a choice between outputting equivalent focal length or angle of view, default being angle, so now there are less values outputted at the bottom and it's less cluttered, but I have decided to keep the crop factor as me, and I think most people here would probably care about it.

The 50D resolution can go up to 1584 with the new increment setting set to 16, which you could achieve in real life with the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch. And when you set the resolution higher in the drop down menu, it will be limited to the camera's limit like real magic lantern so don't worry about going over(you can set 4k if you want, but the 50d/the calculator will only give you 1584).

And yes, as you reduce resolution on Magic Lantern crop factor will increase, as it simply crops the edges off to reduce it because the full sensor can only output at one resolution.

nikfreak

How about optionally being able to input a custom resolution [WxH] as well as custom ratio (not dropdown list)?
disabling my adblocker solves the mystery
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

loknar

Thank you for this. It's my favorite ML calculator (picking new camera for raw video.)

ilia3101

@Frank7D @loknar thank you! Glad people(still) like it/find it useful.

Tullen

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Ilia3101 on November 28, 2016, 03:53:19 AM
There is also a mobile version with fewer features: http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_mobile

Love the mobile version. Works well on iOS devices and any chance for lossless stuff implementation in the near future?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ilia3101

@Tullen @DeafEyeJedi Thanks, I'll add a compression option today :D will make it so it's possible to type compression percentage. Didn't know mobile version was used by anyone but me :) that's good.

EDIT: done(on desktop, will do mobile)

dia3olik

Thanks Ilia!!!!

Great tool!

I suggest adding anamorphic options too!

Like resulting resolution and equivalent FL / FOV after de-squeeze 1.33 1.5 and 2x ! ! !

ilia3101

o0k, I might try and add a separate box somewhere where you can type anamorphic squeeze factor and it says next to it what the resulting focal length, unsqueezed resolution, field of view and aspect ratio would be with that anamorphic.

Maybe won't get done instantly though ;D

ebrc

i love this calculator, can you add the sd_uhs option as a checkbox or something like that?

masc

Quote from: ebrc on June 20, 2019, 08:52:39 AM
i love this calculator, can you add the sd_uhs option as a checkbox or something like that?
Why not using the field "Write speed MB/s"?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Yep, just input the write speed you get with sd_uhs.

Also does anyone find the calculator confusing? I do :D I feel like it could be simplified a lot and do all the same things (and more, such as weird binning 3x1 or 1x3 modes). Maybe no one needs it though, as the sd_uhs stuff means no one has to worry as much about record times these days.

edit: no i wont work on this, mlv app is more valuable use of time :)