Testing the new 10 / 12 bit RAW Recording 2.88K on 5D Mark lll.

Started by wangtrirat, November 28, 2016, 02:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangtrirat

Hello! I've seen some footage lying around few days before by baccinoluigi and inspired me to test myself the new module.

All this footage using 5D Mark lll record @2.88K 2.67:1 crop mode recording which can do continuously on 1066x card.

2880x1078 @ 10 bit RAW

24-105mm Lens @ F4

ISO 3200 1/50

All clips were process with MLP Hit R for run and just make DNG straight out from MLV and Graded in Davinci Resolve 12.5 with some film look apply (ACEScc).

Problem with this shooting scenario : You can't get the liveview with correct framing once you hit record. It will show corrupt noisy glitches frames. And can't playback too.

Quote from: baccinoluigi on November 28, 2016, 07:03:28 PM
With this build you can playback 10-12 bit video : https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr/downloads
better use it only for raw video not  raw video (mlv) is more stable

Maybe modify the camera to have rotary shutter and optical viewfinder that corresponds to position that it record will help!!!

I would like to see forward in to the future that developer can make Liveview in 10 /12 bit viewable both correct position to center sensor and smoother Liveview apart from ML Hacked which once you hit record it will slow down to stop motion.

Bonus for me here is that I can now record 10/12 bit which enough for me to do color stuff. 14 bit just too heavy. 1080p mode still have correct frame in canon liveview and no stop motion once hit record anddddddd can output HDMI signal which I happy about that. So now it is possible to shoot with less stress on card and storage turn around. I use 64GB X 4 1066x CF Card to keep production flows.

MLRAWViewer will support 10 / 12bit soon. I guess.

This one with ISO 6400 ETTR.

I'll try daytime next few days. Enjoy!
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: wangtrirat on November 28, 2016, 02:52:44 AM
This one with ISO 6400 ETTR...

Thanks for sharing these but this last one wasn't working as it says it's 'Private' and noticed you used MLP (Thanks @Danne! :D) -- would you mind sharing us the exact routine you used (which settings did you choose within the Menus) in prior to running MLP.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

wangtrirat

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on November 28, 2016, 05:37:51 PM
Thanks for sharing these but this last one wasn't working as it says it's 'Private' and noticed you used MLP (Thanks @Danne! :D) -- would you mind sharing us the exact routine you used (which settings did you choose within the Menus) in prior to running MLP.

Thanks for noticed. I used just right away at default parameter comes with MLP. Hit R for run and just make DNG straight out from MLV.

Normally, I used MLVMystic for all dewrap conversion.
But I am now thinking about to move to MLP for sake of more reliable.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

baccinoluigi

QuoteProblem with this shooting scenario : You can't get the liveview with correct framing once you hit record. It will show corrupt noisy glitches frames. And can't playback too.

With this build you can playback 10-12 bit video : https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr/downloads

wangtrirat

Thank you so much @baccinoluigi. I'll definitely try it out once I get my camera back. This is so fabulous!!!!!

How smooth the LiveView FPS? Is it usable? I can't wait to try it.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

MAG

Really impressive work !

How do you clean your image with 6400 iso ?

wangtrirat

Quote from: MAG on November 28, 2016, 10:12:36 PM
Really impressive work !

How do you clean your image with 6400 iso ?

I haven't apply any noise reduction. It's ETTR and pretty well lit cat so it won't stick much into shadow area.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

D_Odell

Quote from: wangtrirat on November 28, 2016, 02:52:44 AM

I appreciate your tests! I wonder though if the test where you concludes that 1080p has less noise than 2Kx resolution, could be because you where up at 6400 ISO? Since I have shoot 2.5K with crop mode the image is always sharper and cleaner than 1080p, but I never go a bow 1250 ISO.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

wangtrirat

Quote from: D_Odell on December 01, 2016, 11:32:49 PM
I appreciate your tests! I wonder though if the test where you concludes that 1080p has less noise than 2Kx resolution, could be because you where up at 6400 ISO? Since I have shoot 2.5K with crop mode the image is always sharper and cleaner than 1080p, but I never go a bow 1250 ISO.

Yes, definitely. At this high iso color noise is more pronounced with such a resolution. I haven't test with fast lens or daylight yet. But I think it will be cool!
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

arrinkiiii

Thanks for the tests  :)   How you color grade your raw footage? I like it =))

*how many fps have the footage of the cat?

Thanks

wangtrirat

I find that this build can perform worry free MLV with sound at 12 bit with no frame drop at all which I will put to use in next production project. 10Bit in MLV with Sound seems working but i haven't test on computer, Just playback in camera shows pink upper stripe blinking and the file size kind of not matter to me this time. Just record with sound with no dropping frame is god gift. Record sound is crucial for fast phase production as they can use pluraleyes to sync. Thank you so much.

Well, 2.88K in Raw module is working! with excellent playback but liveview still far useless. Suitable for static shot I guess.

Quote from: arrinkiiii on December 05, 2016, 02:15:30 AM
Thanks for the tests  :)   How you color grade your raw footage? I like it =))

*how many fps have the footage of the cat?

Thanks
I used ACES color system in Davinci and use in build filmprint lut comes with resolve itself. Because ACES just managed color space itself and I don't have to perform any color transformation.

I mostly shot at 25fps.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7