FAQ? After building ML how do you test it?

Started by vtrandal, July 31, 2012, 02:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtrandal

I'm really sorry if this is in an FAQ somewhere but I can't find it.

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on July 31, 2012, 02:20:19 PM
You mean this? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG1FMjVQUEtjWV8zSlpaeEZtZDBQZ2c6MQ

Wow that is really professional looking, but I need something much more basic than that. I don't even know what is the output from the compiler. What file or files do I copy to my SD card and what do I do after that? Do I need to low level format again or just overwrite something on a working 2.3 installation?

I don't even know step one on how test ML once I've built it. I'm completely lost. Why don't I get .fir files when I build? Just exactly what is the output of the compiler and where is it? I've got a ton of questions. Sorry I can't seem to find this. I must be overlooking something in the FAQ.

a1ex

"make install" should do the trick. You can run it from main dir or from a platform dir.

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on July 31, 2012, 08:11:49 PM
"make install" should do the trick. You can run it from main dir or from a platform dir.

Thanks. I even tried: "sudo make install" and that had errors.

But even if it succeeded just exactly what is the output supposed to be and what specifically do I do with any of the output files? For example what files do I copy to my SD card? And how do I prepare my camera to run my ML build? And many more such questions which I am hoping are documented somewhere that I somehow must be overlooking. I can't seem to find answers to these questions even if they are right in front of my face. I'm lost. Sorry.

Anyway here are the errors I get with: "sudo make install"

mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/settings/
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/cropmks/
cp platform/all/autoexec.bin /media/EOS_DIGITAL
cp /home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/src/FONTS.DAT /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/
cp vram/*.lut /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/
cp /home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/cropmks/*.bmp /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/cropmks/
umount /media/EOS_DIGITAL
umount: /media/EOS_DIGITAL: not mounted
make: *** [install] Error 1

vtrandal

Actually the errors from: "sudo make install" are worse than what I just reported.

/home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/plugins/lua/../symtblgen.rb:25: command not found: arm-elf-readelf -r lua
Found 0 symbols
rm lua.bin.reloc
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/plugins/lua'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/plugins/testplug'
[ LD       ]   testplug
[ OBJCOPY  ]   testplug.bin.reloc
[ SYMTBLG  ]   testplug.bin
/home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/plugins/testplug/../symtblgen.rb:25: command not found: arm-elf-readelf -r testplug
Found 0 symbols
rm testplug.bin.reloc
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/plugins/testplug'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/plugins'
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/settings/
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/
mkdir -p /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/cropmks/
cp platform/all/autoexec.bin /media/EOS_DIGITAL
cp /home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/src/FONTS.DAT /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/
cp vram/*.lut /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/
cp /home/vtrandal/magic-lantern/cropmks/*.bmp /media/EOS_DIGITAL/ML/cropmks/
umount /media/EOS_DIGITAL
umount: /media/EOS_DIGITAL: not mounted
make: *** [install] Error 1

a1ex

Do you have the card mounted under /media/EOS_DIGITAL?

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on July 31, 2012, 09:55:04 PM

No. I am just beginning to get the idea I need to do something like that.

And I'm looking at Makefile.inc and I see I'm missing a few things like definitions for PLUGINS_DIR and CF_CARD.

So there's a whole gamut of details regarding building ML and then ... actually installing it to a real CF card or SD card ... and I am missing those details. Is this explained anywhere? I really need more detailed help here on this step.

vtrandal

Quote from: a1ex on July 31, 2012, 09:55:04 PM

Exactly! I've got the card mounted under /media/EOS_DIGITAL! Somehow Ubuntu just knew to mount it there when I plugged it in. I guess this works because this is the SD card that has the currently installed ML 2.3 release. Very clever ML people!

Now finally I'm running "make install" (no sudo this time) with some confidence for the first time and  ... And it appears to have successfully written some files to the card! Fantastic!!!

Now let's have a look and see what got installed/updated on my SD card in comparison to the ML 2.3 files that were previously on the card.
./EOS_DIGITAL/autoexec.bin (newly built but which autoexec.bin from my build is it? guess I will have to compare sizes and timestamps)
./EOS_DIGITAL/*.fir (none were updated. my understanding is new .fir code for a specific platform is stuffed into that platform's autoexec.bin???)
./EOS_DIGITAL/ML/cropmks/*.bmp (all of these files are newly built but why?)
./EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/*.lut (all of these files are newly built and again why?)
./EOS_DIGITAL/ML/data/FONTS.DAT (newly built and yet again why?)
./EOS_DIGITAL/ML/doc/menuidx.data (not updated. but what is it???)
./EOS_DIGITAL/ML/doc/*.bmh (none got updated. but I never did "make docs" so maybe I could try that for my next make install)
./EOS_DIGITAL/ML/README (no comment needed)
./EOS_DIGITAL/SETTINGS/MAGIC.CFG (not updated ... apparently contains my current ML 2.3 settings)

So the most important update appears to be ./EOS_DIGITAL/autoexec.bin which upon comparing sizes and timestamps is the same autoexec.bin from my ~/magic-lattern/platform/all folder. So now the question is which .fir code if any does it contain? Or am I confused? Do I need to repeat all of this but from within the platform folder of my device (i.e. T3i or 600D as it is referred to here) ???

vtrandal

Having repeated the above steps but from within ~/magic-lantern/platform/600D.102$ is it time now to put the SD card back into my T3i (600D) camera? Are there any extra steps after putting the SD card into the camera? Do I simple turn on the camera? How do I tell if the camera is running my newly built ML?

vtrandal

I believe this topic offers some insight into some of my questions.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0

Namely, the autoexec.bin for a specific platform contains the .fir code for that platform. And so then to get that code on my camera I would run make install in the appropriate platform directory. Is this correct?