Forcing Contrast Detection Autofocus over Dual Pixel Autofocus

Started by Rogg4n, November 10, 2016, 11:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogg4n

Hello,

I am a casual user of ML, and I have no coding qualification. So I hope I am not asking a stupid question (I don't think it has been already asked)...

Recently, I bought a canon 80D which I planned to use with the Sigma lens 18-35 f/1.8. However, I (and some other guys: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57711593) discovered that this combo suffered from some focus inaccuracies in liveview mode. We wrote to Sigma Japan and they told us that the problem came from the fact that the 18-35 is optimized for Contrast Detection autofocus rather Dual Pixel Autofocus (DPAF). The question of a possible future firmware update from Sigma is not totally clear, so it seems that we have to find some other solutions ...

In the same idea, it seems that some old Canon EF-lens are not compatible with DPAF. Some other 3rd-party lenses could be also concerned ...

So here is my question: is it theoretically possible, with ML, to force a DPAF camera like the 80D to use contrast detection autofocus rather than DPAF ? This in order to avoid the "incompatibilities" I mentioned above ?

I know that there's no ML version available for 80D yet, but I was just wondering if ML could give some hope to solve this problem, or if it was impossible in principle.

Thank you very much ...