problems with RAW in 650d

Started by fotorebelion, November 09, 2016, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fotorebelion

hello everyone..
i have playing around trying out the Magic Lantern software.. and wanted to try some raw video both with the raw module and with the MLV module @ 720.. problem is that my system crashed everytime after about around a minute..  first i though it was because i didnt have a good enough card.. FujiFilm Ultra Performance SD HC so now i upgraded to a  SAMSUNG PRO SDXC that clames 90mb/s read 80mb/s write.. but still no change.. my Canon 650d still runs clunky.. skipping frames and then eventually stopping..  what can bee the problem? im using Nightly.2016May16.650D104

Walter Schulz

Card size? Cards with less than 64 GB size have to be formatted with exFAT filesystem using your cardreader and a computer. Then copy extracted ML files to card and re-run installation.
Don't format card after that in cam because cam will apply FAT32 filesystem.

(There is a solution for that but it didn't made it into nightly builds yet.)

720p (which frame rate?) is like running on the edge. Turn off all unnessary modules. Try it with MLV_SND.mo unloaded. Don't use overlays.
Report back.

andy kh

I used to record 720p using sandisk 45 mb/s without any problem. I also tried recordng with a slow card but it  never crash but stops recording after few sec or min.
5D Mark III - 70D

dfort

720p records at 59.98fps. You need to reduce the image size and/or use FPR override to slow down the frame rate. Look a the bottom of the screen when adjusting the image size. Green means it should record continuously until the card fills up but if it is yellow the data rate is probably too high and you'll get the frame skipped warning and recording will stop.

By the way, you will get better quality if you set the Canon menu at 1080p mode. Note that the frame size should still be no larger than 1280x720 which causes some confusion over the difference between mv1080 mode and mv720 mode. mv1080 skips three lines horizontally and vertically (3x3) and records natively at 24, 25 or 30 depending on your Canon menu settings while mv720 skips three lines horizontally and five lines vertically (3x5) and records natively at 50 or 59.98 depending on whether your camera is setup as PAL or NTSC.

fotorebelion

hello everyone.. sorry for the delayed response

it is a 64gb samsung pro sdxc u3  ... i tried to do format to exfat however when installing the ml firmware after restart the sd card gets corrupted.. only works when i reformat to started fat32... 
as for as frame rates i dont know.. in normal not raw mode i shoot 1080p 24fps in PAL...

Walter Schulz

If you format card in cam you will get exFAT applied.

fotorebelion

i dont understand.. you said that not to format card in camera or it will be fat ... so therefore  for exfat it has to be done on the computer

Walter Schulz

QuoteCards with less than 64 GB size have to be formatted with exFAT filesystem using your cardreader and a computer.