Cable remote won't work in ML? What am I doing wrong?

Started by D_Odell, November 07, 2016, 11:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Odell

Just finished a modification to make a start/stop button on the rig handle. All for running more seamlessly on 5D3.

The result is very comfortable, finger wise, but there's some software problems. I have assigned the shutter trigger for movie mode inside Canon menu. But when I start record I can't make Canon firmware/ML to stop recording with the trigger. Only by pressing the Start/Stop button on the body recording stops.

Also the cam needs to restart to make the trigger work again. Otherwise there's only showing exposure info when pressing the trigger. As seen above in lower middle section of the LCD. All problems is the same in Canon's video mode as well in ML.

Anyone have any idea to make it work? If so very much appreciated!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

PaulHarwood856

Hello D_Odell,

Is there another remote you can try to clarify it's a ML issue? Also, what DSLR are you using, the 7D? I would try formatting the card and ML, then reinstall. Make sure you have half shutter button enabled. You can try resetting ML settings to default first if you'd like. If all else fails, you can purchase a shutter release online for cheap, and it works flawlessly even without batteries! Please post here to let me know how this went, and if I can be of any further help.

- Paul Harwood

D_Odell

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on November 08, 2016, 02:09:05 AM
Is there another remote you can try to clarify it's a ML issue? Also, what DSLR are you using, the 7D? I would try formatting the card and ML, then reinstall. Make sure you have half shutter button enabled. You can try resetting ML settings to default first if you'd like. If all else fails, you can purchase a shutter release online for cheap, and it works flawlessly even without batteries! Please post here to let me know how this went, and if I can be of any further help.
Hi Paul!

Sorry but I don't have any other remote right now. But have now tried to restore ML also reinstall ML without any luck.
The problem persists; once started recording with trigger I can't stop recording with trigger only on 5D3 body. Also once recorded with trigger I can't use trigger again without restarting the camera. I could try reinstall 1.1.3 it that could mean something?

Thanks for help!

a1ex

Can you reproduce the issue by pressing the shutter button instead of the remote trigger?

(last time I checked, recording raw and mlv using the shutter button worked fine)

D_Odell

Quote from: a1ex on November 08, 2016, 11:05:12 PM
Can you reproduce the issue by pressing the shutter button instead of the remote trigger?

(last time I checked, recording raw and mlv using the shutter button worked fine)

Good point! Just tested and the camera shutter works as it should (MLRAW), right now only trigger is getting the "error". As is if the trigger stops functioning after first started rec, internal or software wise..

PaulHarwood856

Hey D_Odell,

You're welcome! Ok I understand. Just a thought. Could you try a different memory card? Is Magic Lantern installed on an SD card or CF card. I'm aware the shutter button works which is relieving, but maybe you can try a different memory card with Magic Lantern on it? Maybe the current nightly build doesn't work with your remote, but a previous build did?

- Paul Harwood

D_Odell

I think I have come'd up with a possible solution. What if I added a transistor on the trigger to to amplify and keep electrical power. Maybe then the home made trigger will work? Any experience of this? I would then try to take the transistor inside of this to use.

Also tried different ML build without any change to the problem.

Walter Schulz

Those cheap cable remotes do not contain transistors. No additional power source either and they don't need those stuff.
There are 3 wires. 2 hot for focus and shutter release. One common ground. Mechanical switches just shorten focus and common -> cam will focus. Shorten shutter wire and common -> Take a pic.

D_Odell

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 14, 2016, 11:37:50 PM
Those cheap cable remotes do not contain transistors. No additional power source either and they don't need those stuff.
There are 3 wires. 2 hot for focus and shutter release. One common ground. Mechanical switches just shorten focus and common -> cam will focus. Shorten shutter wire and common -> Take a pic.

Thanks for that. I only use 2 wires (as you see in the first pic). 1 hot and 1 ground. Could that be the simple fault?

Walter Schulz

If recording starts there is nothing wrong with your construction.

dmilligan

Can you take regular pictures with your trigger? It could be that you just need to short both wires. Canon firmware may expect that halfshutter should be shorted whenever shutter is shorted (normally it's impossible to press shutter without also halfshutter). Just a thought, I could be way off.

D_Odell

Quote from: dmilligan on November 15, 2016, 04:11:32 AM
Can you take regular pictures with your trigger? It could be that you just need to short both wires. Canon firmware may expect that halfshutter should be shorted whenever shutter is shorted (normally it's impossible to press shutter without also halfshutter). Just a thought, I could be way off.

Correct! Stills works perfectly with shutter release. Only stop recording is failure.
Will try to short both, though the trigger only has a +/-.

Walter Schulz

Alex asked a question before but you haven't answered it yet:
Quote from: a1ex on November 08, 2016, 11:05:12 PM

teatotalTED

I used the top two wires, on the first two metal plates, from the three in the cheap Chinese 'Pixel' remote and used momentary switches push to make:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281829466789?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580815628034&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Epoxied the switch and cable into a short bit of 15mm rod and clamped onto a rig. Used Halfshutter press in ML menu to operate. Works great on a 550D, made another for a 50D.

Better than the shutter button because I always push to hard, take a photo and get a raw error instead of an MLV. :)

D_Odell

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 15, 2016, 02:04:36 PM
Alex asked a question before but you haven't answered it yet:

No I believe I wrote, in post 4 that I can't make the problem reoccur with using any of the buttons on the camera, it only comes with the outside trigger.

Edit: If I half press shutter on the cam while in MLRAW I get the samt fault (the recording doesn't start but the exposure info on pic 2 comes up) . If I press it completely it works as it should...

Quote from: teatotalTED on November 15, 2016, 02:48:57 PM
Used Halfshutter press in ML menu to operate.

Where do you find this option in ML menu? Can't find it when I dig around.

D_Odell

Quote from: teatotalTED on November 15, 2016, 09:55:22 PM
Movie -> Rec Key

I run magiclantern-Nightly.2016Nov10.5D3113, unfortunately there is no such option as Rec Key.

Edit: found this thread: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11006.0 but there isn't a final answer. Do any of you developers/users remember what happened to it? It's quite obvious the fix lies here? It would be great to know if this won't happen or if I should do something to make it happen?

Best,
David

teatotalTED

Using nightlys myself on 550D & 50D, wasn't aware 5D3 hadn't got the option. Too bad.

When you took the cable release apart did you have three wires soldered to three strips of metal on top of each other? top two plates push together give half depress, all three plates together for shutter lock open? I just used the wires off the top two plates and a switch for both 550D & 50D cable releases.

D_Odell

Quote from: teatotalTED on November 16, 2016, 11:39:39 PMWhen you took the cable release apart did you have three wires soldered to three strips of metal on top of each other? top two plates push together give half depress, all three plates together for shutter lock open? I just used the wires off the top two plates and a switch for both 550D & 50D cable releases.
Sorry for late answer, but the trigger only has two screws (sockets) so one black cable is unused.

No one knows if half shutter will make its way to 5D3?

Surin Dmitriy

I have the same issue) The trigger only works if you first shortcut the AF group of contacts and after that add the shutter pin to the first group. I mean you cant just shortcut the ground and shutter pin for normal (continious) operation. I made diy double click button and deactivate AF on halfpress and now it works fine for me.
5D3

D_Odell

Quote from: Surin Dmitriy on November 24, 2016, 11:07:22 AM
I have the same issue) The trigger only works if you first shortcut the AF group of contacts and after that add the shutter pin to the first group. I mean you cant just shortcut the ground and shutter pin for normal (continious) operation. I made diy double click button and deactivate AF on halfpress and now it works fine for me.
Thanks for posting! Since I'm a lousy electrician, do you have a pic or scheme? Thanks a lot!

Edit: Also what camera did you use for this?

Surin Dmitriy

Quote from: D_Odell on November 25, 2016, 03:00:06 PM
Thanks for posting! Since I'm a lousy electrician, do you have a pic or scheme? Thanks a lot!

Edit: Also what camera did you use for this?

Canon 5D3.
5D3