5D2 gets Err 70 :( Please Help!

Started by hi res, November 08, 2016, 03:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hi res

My first post, first of all I want to thank everyone at ML for all of their hard work, and after looking through the forums, this truly is an amazing community.

I've had ML installed on my 5Dii for years, it has never let me down.
Recently, I lent my camera to a friend and they were not able to use it due to getting Err70 msg along with a white/black screen of death.

2 Issues:
Err 70 when trying to use shutter.
White/Black screen of death.

Long story short, I've tried numerous ways to get it to work (format card, un/reinstall ML, etc.) but the screen is barely visible along with Err70 when attempted shutter use.
I cannot use live view or shutter at all, the error msg will pop up but if i cycle through menu button it will eventually show up and i can use the menu as normal (although visibility is low)

The good news: menu still works, i can cycle through and change any options as normal; I plugged into external monitor and visibility is normal, issue is with 5d2 LCD.

The bad news: Err 70 seems like a real b*tch, assuming its a software/coding issue that needs an override.

I'm not much experienced with LOG files or sending info but I will do whatever I can to avoiding buying a new camera, even if i do upgrade my 5d2 holds a special place in my heart, I'd love to keep it and at least hand it down to an aspiring photo/videographer.

Any help it greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post, tried to explain everything without oversharing, if there is any additional information needed I will be happy to supply.

Thank you all in advance!

Photos:
Photo on external hdmi monitor (tv)
menu on camera LCD, appears brighter in picture than on camer
LCD while on after boot before cycling menu button

hi res

Thank you for the response.

Tried multiple cards and batteries, with no luck.

Any other tips? I am going to take to a repair shop soon and see what they say.

hi res

Update*

Reset 5d2 to factory canon firmware )2.1.2) and reinstalled ML, ML loads up ( i can see on dimly lit display) but still shows pretty brutal white banding on LCD.

Again, it works fine on external monitor :/

Any ideas?

Pic of ML on cam LCD :/

chris_overseas

It's hard to imagine this is anything other than a hardware failure of some sort I'm afraid. Your best bet is to take it in to Canon for repair (you'd probably want to uninstall ML first, just in case they take issue with it for whatever reason).
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

hi res

Confirmed, it was the main board.

~$500 repair at local shop.