Live, realtime... FADEIN / FADEOUT simple video option for DIGIC 5/5+ (700D,T5i)

Started by sir_mendez, November 02, 2016, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_mendez

Is it possible to implement new, real-time video option: FADEIN / FADEOUT (to black) - with simple in-out time duration setting?

Walter Schulz

Can be done in post.
General rule for ML: Devs won't waste time on features done easily in post.

Can you come up with a strong use case why this has to be done in cam?

sir_mendez

Hello ~Walter...

It makes Your canon more like high-end video cam device and make it possible to *avoid postprocess*. This is great for tourism purposes - smooth transit between very frequent, different scenes like day and night, pool and desert, static - dynamic... Without this basic fadein/out effect everything looks cheap and forces you to post tweak all and everything.  :'(

sir_mendez

`
Maybe now is the best time to implement real time fade in/out (to black) on start / stop video record option?

*** Or maybe new simple idea: fake fade in/out at TV/hdmi Playback? ***

^Everything to make all short record files like "one long film"...
Also will be possible avoid advanced postprocess everytime for this simple primary option.

Is it too hard to make?  :-\

a1ex

The above link points to gradual exposure. Use the "Expo. Presets" feature to toggle between a normal exposure and a very dark one. Enable both, press the shortcut key et voilĂ ! Fade in/out effect, with configurable duration.

The only difference from your request.... it's not triggered automatically when starting to record. You'll need to press two buttons.

This feature was available since 2012, btw.

Quote from: scrax on December 10, 2012, 06:00:38 AM
  - Gradual Expo.
Gradual exposure adjusts whatever value you're changing smoothly, including ISO and aperture. Try using it with exposure preset (reverting to saved exposure settings with the press of a button) and you'll see it in action (from Malcolm)

sir_mendez

Quote from: a1ex on September 18, 2018, 12:18:23 PM
The above link points to gradual exposure. Use the "Expo. Presets" feature to toggle between a normal exposure and a very dark one. Enable both, press the shortcut key et voilĂ ! Fade in/out effect, with configurable duration.

The only difference from your request.... it's not triggered automatically when starting to record. You'll need to press two buttons.
(...)

I did the test... 'Gradual Expo.' flickers sometimes but for me is alright...

Now i see what the problem is and ***what feature is needed***:
1) 'Expo.Presets' now works only with separate keys: 'PressSET' , 'PressINFO'... but there is no 'REC_key' on the list:
[I mean... REC_key as new dual function: start record and simultaneously trigger: change expo. preset]

I think 'Expo.Presets' possible options should now look like this:
OFF
PressSET
PressINFO
PressSET +[REC_key(+PressSET)]
PressINFO +[REC_key(+PRessINFO)]

^This can not be a lonely rec-combo-key, due to the need to prepare the screen state first (with PressSET/PressINFO before recording).

Maybe better... there is something to add inside 'REC key' function which is almost empty now...
...I don't know maybe new 'REC key' option like: 'Change/Switch Expo.Presets'?

When You choose:
'Expo.Presets': PressSET and then 'REC key': Change/Switch Expo.Presets
...all will work together!

I think 'REC key' or 'Expo.Presets' needs upgrade to make easier to use FADEIN / FADEOUT on video record.  :)

Any chance to do it?