5DIII - Fall Break 2016 Home Video

Started by jmanord, November 02, 2016, 06:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmanord

Just more amateur home video. The dreaded vertical banding (highlights) issued showed up for the first time for some reason. Unfortunately, I deleted the original MLV files :( I also must have mixed some exposure settings that caused a strange exposure fluctuation strobe effect in some shots. Full res silent picture timelapses are awesome!

DeafEyeJedi

Dude this is my new favorite amateur home video. Wonderful compositions and excellent framing along with vibrance colors. Felt so ACRish and that's a good thing. FRSP is a great feature to use.

Care to share the workflow? Was everything shot in 30p other than the timelapse work? I noticed some highlights flickering in some of the cloud shots. Are you fiddling with the highlight sliders at all in ACR?

Other than that ... SUPERB work, sir! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us with what you see through your own eyes!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

PaulHarwood856

Hey jmanord,

Awesome job on this! The water looks beautiful, mind telling us where this was shot? I'm also curious about your workflow, the colors are simply amazing! The flickering is not the bad, don't beat yourself up. I tend to be hard on myself as well. I didn't notice any vertical banding from playing the video right here on the forum.

- Paul Harwood

jmanord

Thank you for the nice comments PaulHarwood856 and DeafEyeJedi! Sorry in advance for the long post. I'm going to use it as a cathartic outlet for my workflow frustrations :)

This was shot in the Florida panhandle along a stretch of 30A highway.

I shot at both 24p and 35p which I slowed down in Resolve. I was very limited on storage space, so I made the unfortunate decision to delete the MLVs. At the end of the day I mounted the CF cards with MLVFS and used slimRaw's lossless 10bit log compression to convert them to dngs. I had some early problems with the FRSP timelapse footage, I didn't turn on the necessary Exp. Override setting in ML, which caused me to focus on the timelapse footage and the strobing footage to go unnoticed. 

I don't know what's causing the flickering/strobing footage yet. I know ACR can cause a similar effect, but this flickering is present in the dng sequence before any grading in the Resolve viewer. I was pretty upset when I saw it in a large number of clips when I returned home, so I though I would try LRTimelapse to correct it in Lightroom. Here you can see the graphed representation of the flickering in LRTimelapse (the pink line represents visual luminance ):

LRTimelapse was able to correct the flicker with the Visual Deflicker tool on my first test sequence. However, this ended up being a curse. I decided to go all in with processing everything in Lightroom in conjunction with LRTimelapse.

To greatly reduce the number of dngs I'd have to process through Lightroom, I decided to edit the final video together in Resolve, export the project as an .xml file, and write a script for Nodejs to use the xml file and copy only the dngs used in the final timeline to a separate destination. It took much longer to write the script than I hoped, but it worked.

About 4 hours into the LRTimelapse/Lightroom workflow I had processed maybe 30 seconds of footage. Between xmp syncing errors, user errors, new ACR flickering problems, and slow Lightroom rendering times, I gave up on this workflow.

I realized, for my specific situation, the content of the footage vastly outweighed the quality of the footage. I ended up going back to the original Resolve timeline and color corrected everything in Resolve. The ease of grading/correcting the dngs directly in Resolve was frictionless. I still had the strobing problems and less than ideal highlight recovery in some clips, but again, for my situation, I can live with some flickering and highlight artifacts.

I didn't do much in Resolve's color panel, mostly because I don't know how. I stuck to the camera raw tools, tone curve on occasion, and the stabilizer. Now I just need to find a workflow solution for the vertical stripes and the cause of the strobing.

Thank you again to the ML Team!

PaulHarwood856

Hey jmanord,

Thank you for sharing this information. I've used LRT Time-lapse once before, and it isn't perfect. I think for time lapses you can enable Post DeFlicker in the Magic Lantern Menu, and then use MLVFS to fix the flickering. I haven't tried this yet, but I've seen videos using it and the results are great. I haven't used Resolve yet, but would like to learn. It's difficult from what I hear to edit in Premiere and Resolve with XMLs, but now that Resolve is a Non Linear Editor it might be able to do everything all in one. You can also look into Cinelog-C and make your dngs flat, then color grade them in Resolve to avoid ACR flickering. I like transcoding MLV files from MLVFS to ProRes 4444 XQ using After Effects. You definitely seem to know what you are doing regardless of which workflow you chose. Great job!

- Paul Harwood

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: jmanord on November 02, 2016, 03:32:36 PM
This was shot in the Florida panhandle along a stretch of 30A highway.

I shot at both 24p and 35p which I slowed down in Resolve. I was very limited on storage space, so I made the unfortunate decision to delete the MLVs. At the end of the day I mounted the CF cards with MLVFS and used slimRaw's lossless 10bit log compression to convert them to dngs.

Nice. Hate when that happens. Treat your MLV's as if they're worth gold. Speaking of SlimRaw -- are you happy with it? I noticed the update came out few days ago. Care to share your experience w lossless files? I'm rather intrigued by @cpc's products and been eager to purchase it. [emoji2]

Quote from: jmanord on November 02, 2016, 03:32:36 PM
... The ease of grading/correcting the dngs directly in Resolve was frictionless. I still had the strobing problems and less than ideal highlight recovery in some clips, but again, for my situation, I can live with some flickering and highlight artifacts.

I didn't do much in Resolve's color panel, mostly because I don't know how. I stuck to the camera raw tools, tone curve on occasion, and the stabilizer. Now I just need to find a workflow solution for the vertical stripes and the cause of the strobing.

Interesting. Care to share what exactly was done under the camera raw tools? Did you apply a flat log to start with in prior to using a LUT of some sort?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

Excellent piece of work - and what a lovely family. A bunch of really nice kids. Fifty years from now your grandkids will love this movie.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

jmanord

Thank you axelcine. I'm a sentimentalist, so the photos and video of my family are my most prized possessions, which is why I can't say thank you enough to everyone that contributes to ML including yourself and DeafEyeJedi.

DeafEyeJedi, thank you for the heads up on the new SlimRaw version. I think SlimRaw gives me somewhere around a 65% reduction from the original MLV file size without loosing any information, which is awesome.

In Resolve, which I still can't believe is free, I never found any benefit in using LUTs or a colorspace outside of Rec709; mostly because I have no idea how to use them correctly :-(  I have the engrained workflow of a novice Lightroom user, so the recent Resolve upgrades in the Camera Raw tab have made the transition palatable. I try to expose to the right, so I usually have to use the Highlight Recovery checkbox.

Settings are usually within a range of +/- 10 of here, unless I completely missed the exposure:

Midtone Detail and Sharpness settings are swapped when I don't have any artifacts from the Highlight Recovery.