How do you cooling the camera at long shooting?

Started by Anton2707, July 30, 2012, 03:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton2707

How do you cooling the camera at long shooting?

screamer

Interesting question, i'm courious about the answers. the only thing that i try to do when shooting on the direct sunlight is to make shadow with something :) but not a great solution ahahah
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

Michael Zöller

Switching batteries and the memory cards often helps, they tend to get very warm.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Anton2707

Shadow is not the most effective means to help for long, especially in summer when it is very hot.
I think try to attach the radiator on the back of the camera, but it will not compact ...

3pointedit

Use an external power supply, like hand grip battery. Or liquid cooled like astrophotographers use!
550D on ML-roids

Chungdha

Switch batteries plus keep them in a bag where they don't get hot from the sun or hot from your body heat, use a rig if you want to do handheld shots to lessen the amount of body heat transfer. Have a umbrella girl next to ya keeping you in the shades.

Malcolm Debono

I try not to be in direct sunlight as much as possible. I also avoid keeping my hand on the grip (the side of the card compartment) as that's usually the part that gets hottest. As others said, replacing batteries and memory cards also helps. If it gets too hot, I try to give it some rest and place it in front of a fan  :D
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

he56ys5ysu7w4

You've seen Mel Gibson in We Were Soldiers? ;-)
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX

Donald

Recently I used fsp while shooting at night. After 90 minutes a temperature warning appeared on the LCD screen :( An advice was to use an external adapter since the original battery would /could produce /increase the warmth.
Unfortunately using an external adapter didn't make any sense, the temperature  warning still appeared after a while... Although I might take 'a few minutes longer fps-shoot' of the stars (@ .5fps).   

dude

Durin a break, i open the cardslot, the battery slot and even take of the lens for a while. for most cases, that s enough, even with hot weather

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Michael Zöller

Lol, thats quite an effort, yes. But the example dark frame pictures speak for themselves.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Pileot

Keep a cooler with your beers in it (cuz why not) and throw a few of those cheap china batteries in ziplock baggies into the ice. China batteries are, what, like $3 so who cares if it degrades the life and putting a cool battery into your camera will help cool it from the inside. Just make sure to check the batteries to make sure they dont leak.

nanomad

Be careful if you do that because you're putting something cool inside something warmer....
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

nanomad

ilguercio

Since i disassembled my 50D last year it is no longer like it came out from the factory.
In particular, there were those heatspreaders all over the motherboard and they were soldered in a couple of point to the pcb. Since i couldn't bother to unsolder them i just cut the soldering and never put them on again.
Doesn't seem to have affected my 50D that much, i never ran into overheating on a normal shooting. I had to make it come on purpose.
If somebody is concerned with overheating one should prolonge the power wires to the side of the camera and fit a female jack or something so you can plug your external power source.
Wall adapters, as far as i can understand, don't do the job because there always is a dummy battery inside the camera and that is the thing that builds up heat.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.