ML & Canon T3I Error Message on video. (used the search function)

Started by Dry Creek Ranch, September 26, 2015, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Creek Ranch

New to ML, still learning. So I tried to shoot my first video yesterday and kept on getting the following message "Movie Recording has been stopped Automatically" so I stopped video and went back to shooting a few stills. I tried again today at home & it seems like it flashed that message, stops recording & starts over again. Have you seen this before? Never a issue before the install of ML. I am using a Sandisk Ultra Plus (40mb/s) 16GB card in my T3I.
Any input or fix would be appreciated.
Canon T3I, current night build (installed 9-22-2015)
EFS 18-55 MM, Canon 50 MM 1.8 "Nifty Fifty", Tokina SD 11-16 MM F2.8 (IF) DX, GoPro Hero 3. Glidecam XR=1000
Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6 & Lightroom 5.6.

Walter Schulz

T3i/600D is limited to about 21 MByte/s write transfer speed. See http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/
You have to add more details about settings used if you need a more specific answer.

Dry Creek Ranch

I did not change any video settings since I cleared settings & formatted the card.  What setting do you need please?
thanks for answering.
Bill
EFS 18-55 MM, Canon 50 MM 1.8 "Nifty Fifty", Tokina SD 11-16 MM F2.8 (IF) DX, GoPro Hero 3. Glidecam XR=1000

DeafEyeJedi

The first question should be depending on what resolution and/or fps do you desire or aim for at the least?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Dry Creek Ranch

To be completely honest, I am new to advanced  videography. I have owned my t3i for about a year and have shot 1000's of still and 15-50 vids, video shot straight out of the camera, no changing of settings while in video mode. I have recently started a Youtube Channel and want to start providing a quality filmed & edited video (s) for my subscribers.
That being said, I would like to start filming outdoor stuff,winters on the river I live on, filming as I develop another piece of property I have, street videography  (Washington State) and maybe some indoor vids (weddings, family reunions, city council meetings) I tried again today & the same thing occurs, but I did notice the file is a .mov, so it is not shooting in .raw, correct? As time & my experience level increases with post-editing (Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6) I would then like to start challenging myself.
Settings
Movie Exposure:auto
Rec size:1920x1080 (30fps) that should be 24?
Metering Timer:16 seconds
Picture Style:Auto
Quality:L (full 1/4 icon)
Image review:2 seconds
Video System:NTSC
Do you need any other settings?
I have linked a YT vid I shot last week, before I installed ML.
https://youtu.be/VonSUMHXtpA

Thanks again!

Bill

Walter Schulz

Thanks for clarification! Data rate in H.264 mode is about 6 MByte/s which should be no problem if card is labeled "Class 10". If it is class 6 it might be a good idea to run a benchmark test. Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min). Turn off powersave mode in Canon menu for this test and press Play button after starting benchmark.
Recording using this settings will terminate if file size hits 4 GB limit. This will be give you about 12 minutes. Please check file size and report back.

ML allows you to restart recording after termination (4 GB limit or hardcoded 29:59. Whatever hits first.) in H.264 mode. But there will be a gap about half a second long during restart.
Movie tab -> Movie Tweaks -> Movie Restart ON
RAW recording will be seamless. Caveat: Limited bandwidth -> Limited resolution.

Dry Creek Ranch

Walter, I just pulled my SD card, it says 10 (with a C around it, also has a 1 surrounded by a U. Should I do a benchmark?

Walter Schulz

Won'r hurt but do you have file size for the stopping automatically?

Dry Creek Ranch

Walter Schulz

?
You said you haven't changed anything after installation. Thus recording will be H.264 and giving you MOV files. But file sizes and durations you are telling now are not even remotely possible with "Canon-only" H.264 thus indicating you are recording RAW/MLV or - maybe - tweaked ML's video settings for H.264.
What are we talking about here?

Dry Creek Ranch

Issue may be Resolved. I removed the MAGIC.CFG file & now I am back to default settings. i will try to record another vid & report back.
Ty for all the input.
Bill

brandong

Hey to anyone wondering if him deleting that file worked, I did it (was having the same problem with my T2i) and it did work. So thanks!