SD card failures during timelapse.

Started by nchant, October 17, 2016, 11:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchant

Hey guys,

I've been using ML for a few years now, and had the nightly build (magiclantern-Nightly.2016Apr01.6D116) on my 2 x 6Ds since this one came out. Mostly I have never had a problem with this version of ML but over the last 2 months have been getting the same recurring issue of my SD cards becoming unreadable by my camera and laptop from shooting timelapse.

This happened the first time about 2 months ago, it effected 2 different cards with ML. Then again last night effected my 128gb card, then tonight my 64gb card.

Fortunately I can recover the files, but would be good to get down to the root of the problem. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

a1ex

You need to find a way to reproduce the issue. If it happens with regular pictures, it's tricky to diagnose, because it may require lots of shutter actuations to find a pattern. If it happens with silent pictures, it should be easier (e.g. leave the camera overnight on an external power source, taking pictures).

To rule out problems caused by other software or devices, format the card in the camera (and restore ML) before each shooting session.

Once you can reproduce the issue, you can narrow down by changing settings (e.g. turning off what you don't use, resetting ML to defaults, unloading modules).

nchant

I'll give it another try tonight.

First TL I had these modules running:

128gb SD card
Manual mode @ƒ4
Auto ETTR
Timelapse (35 sec intervals)
Post Deflicker

Second TL (last night):

64gb SD card
AV mode @ƒ4
Timelapse (35 sec intervals)

Will try tonight with a different card and see if it happens again.