Crop mode questions

Started by templar, October 07, 2016, 12:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

templar

Hey there,
I searched the forum but didn't find the answers yet. Altough I'm pretty sure they are in the depths of this forum.... Some help is appreciated  :)

• Can I only go beyond 1920 resolution in cropped mode on the 5Dm3? I understand that in video mode canon only uses couple of pixels on the sensor to get the 1920 and in cropped mode ML uses more pixels (with manual selection?). As far as I understand this affects the focal length? So there is no way to film in 2k or higher using the original focal lenght of the lens? Is it possible to have the full frame in liveview?
  • If I hit the magnify button I get the 5x liveview in gray with shitty resolution. If I press and hold the star button it is in color with ok resolution while holding. In 10x it is fine again. Can someone explain this behaviour?

Sorry this crop mode still confuses me :)

DeafEyeJedi

That's all old news. Easier to follow through in here with the latest and greatest...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17021.0
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

templar

sorry still don't get it.

what is old news?

Walter Schulz

1: 1920 it is. "Native" horizontal resolution for Canon DSLR in 1080p (aka mv1080) mode is
Horizontal pixel number/3
5D3 differs from all other ML enabled cams because its the only one using pixel binning (look it up) instead of line skipping (look it up).
In crop mode there is no line skipping/binning. Every line counts. Pressing zoom button in movie mode "crops" the sensor area.

templar

thanks walter, why is it low resolution and gray in 5x?

hyalinejim

You're confused because there are 2 different crop modes that look different, are accessed differently and give different results.

Old news is the crop mode you're talking about (grey, pixellated, jerky preview, off-center framing BUT higher res is possible ). The preview is shitty but the footage is perfect, if you can overcome the challenges of focus and framing in real time when your preview is pixellated and jerky. To shoot in this mode go into 5x magnify, set FPS Override to desired amount and press record.

New news is the link above in DeafEyeJedi's post (full colour, sharp, smooth preview, centered framing BUT max res is 1920x1080.) Now this is much easier to shoot with because WYSIWYG, but there is no resolution advantage. It's just like shooting with a longer equivalent focal length on a crop sensor. To shoot in this mode load the crop.rec module and select crop mode from ML menu.