In-Camera movie trimming

Started by poromaa, July 30, 2012, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poromaa

I do nature filming and sometimes I have had the camera on for several minutes to capture something in 4 seconds (Snake peeking out from a hole). However, my memory card is filled pretty fast, and sometimes I have to remove a scene with good stuff simply because of need of storage for other interesting happenings.

What I would need is a simple way of cutting down (extract the interesting part) in movies shot in camera. That would then allow me to not have a computer/100 memory cards with me out in the field. I wouldn't need accuracy here, but cutting on a keyframe would be good enough.

Keep up the great work!
Cheers

KeeganBaird

What camera body are you using?  I can already do this on my 60D with the unaltered Canon firmware.

poromaa

Oh, nice feature. I cannot find such feature on my 5d mark ii

Malcolm Debono

Unfortunately it's not present on the 5D2 as it was introduced on newer cameras such as the 60D, 600D and 650D (I think the 60D was the first one to have it).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

a1ex

Well... if someone is familiar to how to do this on a PC, and the process doesn't require a lot of memory (2 MB or so is OK), I may be able to port it from some existing code.

Another idea that is possible: have a somewhat idle mode where the camera records 10-second movies, and always deletes the last one. A key press may make the current movie longer, and/or keep it. You still risk that recording stops in the middle of interesting action and starts a new file, but is probably better than nothing.

I'm not familiar with the MOV file format and whether it's covered by patents or something similar, but it seems a promising area that can be investigated further.

poromaa

It should be possible to split the MOV-files from the 5D without re-encoding.

Shooting from the waist - There seem to be some code for triming Mpeg4 files in this application:
http://ffmpeg.org/

Under "projects" there seems to be a ton of applications using parts of this framework for video-related tasks (many of them seems to be very small)

Pumpkinwaffle

+1

This would be a very handy feature indeed!
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

Chungdha

be great if you can edit the movie able cut whole thing together and refine the edit some more when you get home, but that be pushing it way too much.