ML RAW | A Wild Adventure Music Video

Started by calebdescognets, September 21, 2016, 06:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calebdescognets

Hello Gents,

Back at it again, this time it's another music video for the same artist as my last video I posted here.  We shot 8 separate days, used about 600gb of space, and drove a collective 2,000 miles to and from locations to make this video happen and am pretty happy with how it came out.

Canon 5D III
Minolta MC 58mm f1.2
Minolta MC 35mm f1.8
Minolta MC 85mm f1.2
Canon 24-70mm L f2.8
DJI Ronin + Skateboard Dolly for tracking shots inside and on the road

Shot about half the video north of Sacramento by an hour in a town called Nevada City and the other half in and around Los Angeles.  Opening shot taken in Western Massachusetts when I went home for a visit (couldn't find train tracks like that in SoCal anyways).

If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them!
Cheers,

allemyr

I think you did a great work again! I like the glare in some spots from your Minolta lenses. Maybe the camera movement could a be a bit more lively or playful, I like the dolly movements from your Ronin But the static one could be handheld with a nice rig or something, but most important I think the clips could be shorter and more even in time and maybe edited more to the music. Don't want to sound though thought :) But ofcourse it's a great video! Maybe you should try the Davinci Resolve workflow with XML for faster speeds with many short clips. :D

Best

Karl Allemyr

D_Odell

Happy to see you try to comply the strobing effect at 1:06. Have you tried the same effect (without any cgi) but with shutter 2-6 and then make the actor walk in slowmo?
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Danne

Great work again. I really liked the last clips starting at 03:04. Would be great if you could tell us about post workflows.

calebdescognets

Quote from: Danne on September 22, 2016, 09:58:07 AM
Great work again. I really liked the last clips starting at 03:04. Would be great if you could tell us about post workflows.

Thanks Danne, I pretty much followed your guidance with the linear DCP profiles in ACR which made a big difference.

This was my workflow:

1. MLP with MLV_RAW_dng_gamma_2.4_0.txt and MLV_RAW_dng_dcraw_any_command.txt in the A_lut_hold folder

2. Import each DNG sequence (clip) produced by MLP into After Effects and first color pass in ACR.  Convert camera profile from adobe standard to "Linear_5D_Mark_III" DCP Profile.  Adjust exposure/contrast/tint/WB/lights+darks with parametric curve to raise shadows and expand dynamic range.
(Download the DCP Profile here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirMmJ3MXBSSktGZms/view?usp=sharing.  To install into ACR on a mac go to your finder, at the top click go, hold down the "option" key so "library" becomes visible.  From there go to application support-->adobe-->camera raw-->camera profiles and drop the "Linear_5D_Mark_III.dcp" profile there. Then, in AE when importing an image sequence ACR will pop up, go to camera calibration and under the camera profile menu change "adobe standard" to the 5D DCP profile we just installed. (sorry for the rant  ;)))

3. Drop all DNG sequences into timeline back to back so I can make sure color/exposure is consistent.  Sometimes I'll add a rough look with magic bullet looks at this point which I did for the "Wicked Game" video I posted here (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17469.0) but for this video I didn't until later.

4. After I'm happy with basic CC and the look of my clips I'll export them all together with the cineform codec.  I haven't noticed any quality difference from ProRes and with cineform you get lower file sizes so you don't have to use proxies like you might have to with prores4444 clips.

5. Import to FCPX or Premiere to start editing! Sometimes I have to go back to AE to fix clips after the initial export but that's the name of the game.  Final look applied with magic bullet looks and then last pass of CC before final export in FCPX or Premiere in prores 422 for youtube/vimeo.

calebdescognets

Quote from: D_Odell on September 22, 2016, 09:49:12 AM
Happy to see you try to comply the strobing effect at 1:06. Have you tried the same effect (without any cgi) but with shutter 2-6 and then make the actor walk in slowmo?

Im not sure what you're referring to when you say the "strobing effect" or "without cgi." 

The shot at 01:06 was done by shooting the artist in front of a blue screen at 48fps. I then shot a couple cr2 raw-image time-lapses of people shopping.  I keyed out the blue from the first shot and replaced it with the time-lapse in After Effects.  I then added a 35% CC Time Blend effect to the time-lapse to blend the frames.

calebdescognets

Quote from: allemyr on September 22, 2016, 08:04:03 AM
I think you did a great work again! I like the glare in some spots from your Minolta lenses. Maybe the camera movement could a be a bit more lively or playful, I like the dolly movements from your Ronin But the static one could be handheld with a nice rig or something, but most important I think the clips could be shorter and more even in time and maybe edited more to the music. Don't want to sound though thought :) But ofcourse it's a great video! Maybe you should try the Davinci Resolve workflow with XML for faster speeds with many short clips. :D

Best

Karl Allemyr

Thanks for the constructive criticism Karl! I wanted the video to have a familiar form factor that we may be used to seeing when we watch an adventure short film but I didn't want the cuts to be too predictable like the cliche go pro videos you see everywhere these days where every shot is the same length.  I felt as if what I created was a happy medium between the two, where on the chorus the video predictably cuts on the beat but then deviates in form over the verses. 

However, I do agree in retrospect that maybe some of the clips could have more of a handheld or shoulder rig feeling to them to make it more personal and intimate--to make it feel like you were really there instead of just an observer.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated

DeafEyeJedi

Damn I had to watch this not twice but the third time's a charm and yet still in awe with how well your set of primes actually go with the 5D3's sensor. I mean you can't reproduce these contrast/flares with other glasses or let alone in post.

The last minute or so was absolutely remarkable and excellent work on the blue screen effect with the Timelapse footage!

Btw we also gotta be grateful for @Danne's never ending magic with his sick tricks under the sleeves 'specially with the DCP profile gem to go from Adobe to linear.

It really does actually make a difference and I can't wait to jump on this wagon to further better our MLV RAW footage.

Again thanks for sharing yet another masterpiece with this gig of yours @calebdescognets which was obviously very well planned out and seems a lot of team effort was poured into together as a whole! [emoji106]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

D_Odell

Quote from: calebdescognets on September 23, 2016, 12:14:33 AM
Im not sure what you're referring to when you say the "strobing effect" or "without cgi." 

The shot at 01:06 was done by shooting the artist in front of a blue screen at 48fps. I then shot a couple cr2 raw-image time-lapses of people shopping.  I keyed out the blue from the first shot and replaced it with the time-lapse in After Effects.  I then added a 35% CC Time Blend effect to the time-lapse to blend the frames.
Your right, wrote the wrong things, anyhow any attempts using low shutter to comply the somewhat similar effect? It's harder but specially beautiful! Christopher Doyle made this several times for Wong Kar Wai movies.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

calebdescognets

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 23, 2016, 09:30:59 AM
Damn I had to watch this not twice but the third time's a charm and yet still in awe with how well your set of primes actually go with the 5D3's sensor. I mean you can't reproduce these contrast/flares with other glasses or let alone in post.

The last minute or so was absolutely remarkable and excellent work on the blue screen effect with the Timelapse footage!

Btw we also gotta be grateful for @Danne's never ending magic with his sick tricks under the sleeves 'specially with the DCP profile gem to go from Adobe to linear.

It really does actually make a difference and I can't wait to jump on this wagon to further better our MLV RAW footage.

Again thanks for sharing yet another masterpiece with this gig of yours @calebdescognets which was obviously very well planned out and seems a lot of team effort was poured into together as a whole! [emoji106]

Thanks man! Seriously though, @Danne's magic with the linear DCP profile really brought this project to light.  I was working with some really contrasty scenes where I didn't have the luxury to wait until dusk for good lighting and this enabled me to really squeeze all those shadows + highlights for detail. 

Story time: For the blue screen shot I was all ready with a gallon of green screen paint, rollers, and ski masks to paint a large portion of a wall in an alley near my house for this shot and (foolishly) I'd only scouted it during the day and when I got there at 1AM I was startled to find that it was completely lit up and actually quite exposed.  If we had gone to paint that wall there's no doubt we would have been busted (not to mention the angry Koreans who owned the BBQ joint whose building it was).  Luckily, the next day I found another wall behind a building that was the perfect color blue that I could use instead and ended up just shooting it there with great success! 

Kharak

Video is private.. i really liked this video and his cover of Wicked Game in this one is the best one I heard.

Anyone remember the name of the artist? Maybe I can find the artist somewhere else?

Thank you.
once you go raw you never go back