upside | DOWN : urban exploration in Shanghai (factories, waste grounds etc)

Started by Tao, September 18, 2016, 07:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tao

Hi,

With a friend we travelled accross Shanghai at the end of our student exchange year there. We wanted to capture some places that were almost uncharted and definitely not in the tourist guides. So we discovered some of  and shot there when we had time and when the weather was OK (mostly cloudy though). These were places that were waiting for renovation or construction, with low or no security (although you don't want to be seen with your camera), not really dangerous and with things left untouched. Two of the places were roofs of our neighborhoods because the view from the 30rd floor is marvelous.  I had a lot of rushes, but we wanted to have something not too long (like a music videoclip), intense but representative of our discoveries. It was really amazing to see that even inside the city center of a 20M people city, there are that much big or small buildings that are full of history and not seen by the people who live or visit the city.

I wanted to be as light as possible so I only filmed with a Sigma Art 24mm lens, no tripod or glidecam. I tested the 21:9 cinemascope aspect ratio in order to capture the full width of the landscapes and other places. I also feel that wide lenses look better when crop the frame on top and bottom.

Just like my previous videos, I processed the 5DMK3 RAW through raw2dng on mac then used Cinelog-c to get .mov files, then right into Premiere Pro CC. LUTs come from the 80 Luts IWTAP pack.

I hope you like it. Feel free to comment if you have anything to say, each time I post here I get new ideas for the next video.

The video has been upscaled to 4K to get a better bitrate. You can download it on Vimeo.

Youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFTtSafUEaQ
Vimeo link : https://vimeo.com/183145289
5D Mark III w/ Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 + Sigma Art 24mm f/1.4 + Canon L 70-200 f/4.0