Nightly builds page redesign (static HTML)

Started by a1ex, September 20, 2016, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzedurqn

Nice work a1ex!

I would change camera list CSS to this, so it can left align well with the text.

.camera-list {
    margin: 0 100px 20px 0;
    float: left;
}

About the "other builds" page. In my opinion skipping the "short" version and directly showing the full version when user clicks "older builds" is better, since it's just an HTML page and person interested in older builds will prefer information about changes right away.

P.S. a1ex is the source of this website on bitbucket? I can contribute on HTML, CSS, typography, etc.

a1ex

Applied those as well, thanks.

I'll upload it to bitbucket as well, but right now I need a little break :D

Meanwhile, changes can be made directly to the HTML. Turning it into template is easy for me (I use the Mako engine), but when it comes to design, I just do this:

jzedurqn

@a1ex thank you for everything you're doing for ML!
At some point when it's on Bitbucket people (me or others) can contribute and do fixes here and there.
The most important thing is that the website right now as it is looks fine and works fine.

Ottoga

@A1lex
Just a couple of suggested wording changes (in red) to the following section on the "Builds" page.

When it will be ready?
Unfortunately, Magic Lantern ports don't happen to a schedule.
There is no plan, and there is no Magic Lantern organization that specifies which port happens next.
If there is work being done on a camera, there will be a development thread in the forum.
If there is no mention of development activity on the forum, there is no reason to ask about that camera's status: It is not supported, and there is no way for anyone to know if or when it might be supported. Your guess is as good as ours.
If there is no ML available for your camera, you should act like it never will be. -- Walter Schulz
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Canon EOS 50D

There is a mispelling on the nightly builds page.
Marked in red  ;)

QuoteYour cameara is not listed?

A port of a new camera model happens if and only if there is a developer who has the camera and sufficient time.....

Changes look great guys! Keep 'em coming. :)

Ottoga

Just  thought.

Maybe display the latest Build Date and Time under each camera model on the Nightly Build landing page or some other indicator that a new build exists. This would remove the need to drill down further unless a new build was available.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

DeafEyeJedi

Under 'Ports In Progress'; 70D should be enlisted as 1.1.2 and 1.0.1 for the 100D.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

700D page links to Canon containing most recent firmware (1.1.5). Please check links and - my suggestion - replace them with links to pelican's site.
EDIT: Same issue with 6D.

YouDeserveThat

Hello,
I'm brand new on this forum but I'm a young amateur independent web designer. I would like to help as much as I can, because I think that I may have some good ideas or advices and that it may be great experience too !

So, to begin softly, I just ran a quick speed test on your page, using common tools, here are the results :

from Goolge's PageSpeed Insight :
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.magiclantern.fm%2Fdownloads.html
Pingdom tools :
https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cJ3aiF/http://www.magiclantern.fm/downloads.html

Talking about SEO optimizations, here are some advices :
http://seositecheckup.com/seo-audit/www.magiclantern.fm/downloads.html

Consider this as a beginning, a way to start optimizing the website...
Hope you enjoyed, coming back soon :)

YouDeserveThat

Just a few suggestions :

• Increase the size of the Warning display bye something like 150% (1.5em)
  • Try to use a two columns design to present the download : it would allow you to pull up the download button (just like they did on VLC download page https://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
  • You should update the copyrights dates to 2016 and why not using Creative Commons ?
  • If you hitch up the download button, try to get a different background for this section

Cheers ;)

Walter Schulz

Canon updated firmware for a whole bunch of cams. At time of writing these nightly build pages are linked to Canon downloads with firmware not supported by ML:
6D
60D, 60Da
700D
650D
600D
500D
1100D

I suggest to use links to Pelican's repository instead

Description for 70D should be edited (1.1.1 -> 1.1.2). And 100D, too: 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1

I suggest to avoid links to Canon at all and use Pelican's repository for 5D2, 550D and 50D instead.

Installation instructions for 5D3.113 and 5D3.123 may be altered from
"[...] If you are running 1.3.3, you can downgrade with EOS Utility."
to
"[...] If you are running 1.3.3 or higher, you can downgrade with EOS Utility 2.x."
A link to EOS Digital Solution Disk 29.1A (containing EOS Utility 2.14.10) might be helpful. For all I know EOS Utility 3.x will not allow downgrading firmware.

dfort

Don't know if you already have this but it would be great to track the number of downloads per platform. The Nightly builds page would be an obvious place to show the number of downloads.

Reasons for this are:

1- People looking into buying a camera can see which camera and firmware version is the most popular with ML users.
2- Developers can see when a new feature shows a spike in the number of downloads.

I've been posting some test builds from development branches and was surprised at the amount of interest in the 5D3.123 despite what seems to be a recommendation to use 5D3.113 for better performance or if clean HDMI out, dual monitor support and AF at f/8 with teleconverters is not required.

A bit off topic but since Walter brought it up -- when upgrading or downgrading the Canon firmware I've always put the Canon firmware on the card and done the process in camera without problems. The issue with not being able to downgrade seem to apply only to users attempting to do it using EOS Utility 3.x. Am I missing something by doing it in camera?

One more thing -- you can include the 5D3 to the list of Canon updated firmware. Version 1.3.4 was released on November 29, 2016. Pelican has already added it to his site.

garry23

Re up/downgrading, I successfully went backwards and forwards between 5D3 113 and 123 several times yesterday: all by 'just' using the canon in-camera upgrade firmware approach.

Danne

QuoteThe issue with not being able to downgrade seem to apply only to users attempting to do it using EOS Utility 3.x. Am I missing something by doing it in camera?
Firmware can only be downgraded to 1.1.3 from eos utility when going from 1.3.4. Do it from the card and your camera will tell you no. Do it from eos utlity and we,re ok. Thankfully.
The issue doesn,t seem to occur with 1.1.3 to 1.2.3 and back.

Walter Schulz

@dfort & garry23: Canon introduced firmware downgrade check with 1.3.3 for 5D3. As Danne wrote downgrading is blocked in 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 when using the cam's menu option.
@dort: Links for 5D3 - as you can check - are leading to Pelican's repository. Therefore 5D3 is not included in the list above.

garry23

@Walter thanks for the claification.  I'll be sticking to 123 for now, as I need the F/8 AF on my x2 extender 70-200.

For me, not shooting video, 113 doesn't seem to add much, if anything, over 123.

One day I might try ML raw video :-), i.e. On my EOSM. But I do 'worry' it is a lot of effort, but then again I haven't really tried it.

I wonder what the easiest way is to get into raw video on the EOSM?

Cheers

Garry

Walter Schulz

garry23

a1ex

Download counters are back :)

Additional pages (modules, utilities) are also starting to appear. Not yet fully functional, but at least it's a start.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

Thanks. Can you help me create screenshots for all the modules from this page?

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/modules.html

A GIF similar to the one from bulb_nd should be fine. If there's nothing interesting to show, a submenu screenshot would be enough.

For module authors: to add your module to this page, I need a link to your repository and a screenshot.

ilia3101

@a1ex Thought I'd be helpful, did a GIF for burst.mo(I hope no one else is making the same gif as I post, but if you are, I'm sorry, but still post it because it's probably better than mine)

Is the 5D2 screen resolution the same as others? I thought it was 640x480 but the screenshots are 720x480

Licaon_Kter

The build server is on Linux? Any chance the Utilities page could also host Linux/Mac apps besides those Windows ones since you can just build them anyway?

a1ex

Ilia: thanks, I've resized it like this:

convert -coalesce burst.gif burst.png
convert -delay 100 -loop 0 burst-*.png -resize 50% -layers Optimize burst2.gif

Reason: current web browsers don't seem to do a good job at resizing the original (aliasing issues).

5D2 has 640x480 physical resolution, but 720x480 logical buffer. The exact mapping from buffer to display is unknown; can be probably found with a bit of patience to try some patterns.

@Licaon_Kter: do Linux binaries make any sense? (I mean, compiling host binaries on this system usually just works)

For Mac, I need some help setting up the build environment. I've tried a while ago on the old server, with advice from kichetof, but got stuck.