PASSION | RAW superslowmotion with Twixtor

Started by Melvin Jose, September 20, 2016, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melvin Jose

Shot at 60fps. Slowed down 10-30% with Twixtor
All shots are handheld. It's loads of work with nesting of already nested clips and at 1/4 Premiere still has trouble with playback but in the end I'm kinda happy with the results.

Lens: Canon 20mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4
Resolution: 1824 x 466 upscaled to 1920 x 816

MLRAWviewer to DNG
Colorgrade in Davinci Resolve
Edit in Premiere Pro

Simonwb

5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

calebdescognets

The footage looks like you shot it natively in 96 or 120fps! I can barely see any frame blending or other artifacts that would indicate it was shot at 60fps and then slowed down further.  Beautiful job 8)

cmccullum

Very nice! Please tell me how you did the transition at 26-27sec! I've been trying to figure that crap out for months

KenshirouX

I too also want to know how you did that, the slowdown. I hardly saw any warping at all which is the usual case when slowing down videos even with a plugin such as twixtor. Good job. Please tell us how.

Melvin Jose

Quote from: cmccullum on September 27, 2016, 12:19:19 AM
Very nice! Please tell me how you did the transition at 26-27sec! I've been trying to figure that crap out for months

I guess you are talking about the zoom transition? I can recommend you xAlternateTutorials on YouTube. He has some amazing tutorials on transitions. Most of them are about After Effects but he has like 2 about Premiere Pro. I really wanted to be able to do it without switching to after effects. So I did some research and found a way to get the results I was looking for trough his tutorials and lots of experimenting.
These transitions are very popular on Vine with Anime viners.

Quote from: KenshirouX on September 28, 2016, 08:05:05 AM
I too also want to know how you did that, the slowdown. I hardly saw any warping at all which is the usual case when slowing down videos even with a plugin such as twixtor. Good job. Please tell us how.

One of the major tricks is to get it right in-camera. Lot's of video's you see that are slowed down with Twixtor are of people or objects that are moving very fast. I like to capture slow moving or still subjects. The part that realy sells it is the camera movement. I like to move a few steps forward or backwards or do a handheld slide.
First thing I do to the footage is stabilize them with Warp. After that I add Twixtor. I don't know if this is true but I feel like the extra bitrate of the RAW footage helps get better looking results.

julienpierb

That's striking!
The colors, the movement, the voice-over are so amazing!
I dream to, one day, achieve this level of mastery!