Canon 7D Not Turning On

Started by joel, September 20, 2016, 06:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel

Hi all,

So I have done the stupidest thing with my camera. Was updating the canon firmware on it when the battery slipped out mid update and now it won't turn on. Sent to Canon and they have quoted me almost $900 to repair it. Totally can't afford that right now so having the camera shipped back to me. (A $100 round trip that went nowhere). So my question is, do I have any options in regards to just "reflashing" the PCB so it has a version of firmware back on it? Canon want to replace the entire Main PCB. Surely it hasn't fried anything and its simply a case of the camera not having any firmware on it currently to turn on?

If someone can help me out I'll be super appreciative.

Thanks

a1ex

Do you still have the boot flag enabled? Can you run the display test?

joel

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

How do I check if boot flag is enabled? The camera literally does nothing when switched on.

Cheers

a1ex

You should know that - if you uninstalled ML from the camera (by waiting 60 seconds), you no longer have it. The firmware update won't turn it off.

If you make a card bootable (EosCard) and copy the display test autoexec.bin, the camera should be able to boot. It's very unlikely for the update to have stopped when rewriting the bootloader (I doubt it even does that; at least 2.0.3 doesn't)

joel

Sorry I should have explained that it didn't have ML installed at the time of the power failure. I was updating between 2 genuine canon updates. I now can not do anything with the camera. I have not tried booting camera up using firmware direct from a card. Should I try and do that?

a1ex

Did you have it uninstalled by removing the bootflag from the camera (firmware update, waiting 60 seconds), or just by formatting the card?

joel

I was just running ML from the card. But at the time of the update no ML was installed. This was an original canon to canon upgrade. Did not even get the chance to install ML

a1ex

Of course, but that doesn't answer my questions.

joel

Sorry, it was updating using firmware (.FIR file) from the CF card. I previously had ML setup that I needed to load from CF card each time I powered up camera but was not using ML for a while before this problem occured.

I will attempt to make a bootable card and try turn on my camera using that. I am on mac btw so may need different software.

a1ex

OK, but how exactly did you uninstall ML?

(1) by running Firmware Update and waiting 60 seconds? (this removes the boot flag from the camera)
(2) by formatting the card?

joel

I don't think either of those ways. I had ML installed ages ago. As far as I remember I had a .FIR file on the CF card and everytime I booted the camera I had to load that file to get ML settings. Once I formatted card I no longer had any ML features. This was a very early version of ML for Canon 7D and I had recently just been using Canon official firmware.

a1ex

If you only formatted the card, you should have the bootflag still enabled. Make the card bootable and try running the display test. Results?

joel

Ok, as soon as I get the camera back I will try.

Although I just read another post where someone has done the exact thing I did and didn't get it working which doesn't fill me with much hope  :(

Thanks for your help Alex I will report back once my camera is returned.