Making Off = advertising clip shoot with Canon 5D in RAW + anamorphic lenses DSO

Started by Francis Frenkel, September 15, 2016, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Frenkel

Making off of 2 clips shoot for French Cine & TV about Europeens funds in France (Brittany).
Shoot with Canon 5D in ML RAW, with Richard Gale Optiks DSO anamorphic x2
I'm DOP.

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Kharak

Big production crew. Nice to see that many people trusting in the power of Magic Lantern.

once you go raw you never go back

Simonwb

Interesting to see, thanks for sharing.  Is the finished film published online?
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Francis Frenkel

Yes, here is one of them :

At 0:53' of the Making Off you can see my assistant, pointing a projector (with a snoot cap on it) on the lens = to create flare, cause the DSO lenses produce beautiful flare, and the director wanted flare on every sequences !

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Lars Steenhoff

the backs are raised to a level that makes me feel its not graded, just personal taste, but i would try to increase the contrast a bit more

Francis Frenkel

I agree !

But it was ask by the Agency and the Director...
I was only DOP....then i had to respons to this task.

On the firsts tests, the director found all my images too "contrasty", he was always asking for less contrast, less saturation.

But the RAW images are not "LOG", there is lot of contrast in the RAW image (if there is much light in the frame).

I proposed the DSO lenses to the Director because they have a low level of contrast, and a high level of flare.
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

D_Odell

Totalt fine with the contrast look achived. The lenses smoothen the image much like Alexa sensor renders light, less resolution but anyway good. Would be nice to see more!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Kharak

So is all the footage graded from a raw linear image? No log conversion?
once you go raw you never go back

Francis Frenkel

Yes.
No log conversion.

I use the Cinelog DCP conversion LUTs (Resolve 12) + custom color work.
The Director ask for aditionnal (artificial) flare.

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

DeafEyeJedi

Nice work @Francis Frenkel ... Care to share how exactly were you able to use Cinelog DCP conversion LUTS since the recent upgrade from @Andy600 was only avail for to use with OCIO such as AE unless you used the previous versions?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109