EOS M5 - 80D in your "pocket"

Started by KelvinK, September 14, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KelvinK

Specs:

Sensor: Effective pixels 24.2 million pixel APS-C CMOS (total number of pixels 25.8 million pixels)
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
DIGIC 7
ISO Sensitivity: 100-25600
Shutter speed: 1 / 4,000 to 30 seconds, bulb, maximum flash synchro shutter speed 1/200 sec
Continuous shooting: up to about 9fps in Liveview, 7 fps (at the time of AF follow-up?)
Video: Full HD 60p
5-axis electronic image stabilization
EVF: 236 Man dot
3.2 inches 1.62 million dot touch panel movable LCD
Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n)
Bluetooth (4.1)
Battery: LP-E17
Memory card: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I compatible)
Size (W x H x D): 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6 mm
Weight: about 380g (body only), 427g (including battery ยท SD card)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

nikfreak

Like the M3 the M5 will soon or later run chdk. Just check the menus and you will see for yourself. The firmware isn't based upon dslr code so porting to chdk is much easier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYmcl_t_8c

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

KelvinK

Only ML can save this brick :)
Panasonic answered with G80: 5-Axis in body stab, 4k, 422 internal recording. End of story.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Ebrahim Saadawi

Quote from: KelvinK on September 16, 2016, 12:03:38 PM
Panasonic answered with G80: 5-Axis in body stab, 4k, 422 internal recording. End of story.

Not really. That's a s35 APS-C camera, not a small chip m43s camera (and a speedbooster is not in the equation for this price bracket, and it doesn't save the poor 800+ ISO performance.)

It also has the only working AF system in the world. So will get many shots all around the world the g80 simply cannot.

A lot of us, both experienced filmmakers and hobbyiests alike, that would take good looking 1080p video over 4K video and pull focus manually.

The m5 24mp APS-C chip has a LOT more DR than the m43s 16mp chip. And video at 6400 ISO is equivalent to 1600 on the GH4. So in video you enjoy at least 2 stops of lowlight performance and in still 2 stops of DR, more resolution and better AF.

Plus, Panasonic over-sharpened 4k video will always look like panasonic over-sharpened 4K video, and Canon organic motion and colour will always look like organic motion and colours.

G80 is a GREAT camera. But I'd never use one without a SB as I despise the m43s 2.3x crop that made me sell the GH4, just cannot accept it as a filmmaker in aesthetic, it just lacks that LIFE. A Metabones EF SB with vintage soft M42 glass makes the magic appear, but too much money, too many adapters. G80 is a Great camera but not ULTIMATELY ''better' than an M5 that we still haven't handeled how the damn thing shoots and plays with the photographer/videographer.

burek

Quote from: Ebrahim Saadawi on October 29, 2016, 01:40:12 AM
Not really. That's a s35 APS-C camera, not a small chip m43s camera (and a speedbooster is not in the equation for this price bracket, and it doesn't save the poor 800+ ISO performance.)

It also has the only working AF system in the world. So will get many shots all around the world the g80 simply cannot.

A lot of us, both experienced filmmakers and hobbyiests alike, that would take good looking 1080p video over 4K video and pull focus manually.

The m5 24mp APS-C chip has a LOT more DR than the m43s 16mp chip. And video at 6400 ISO is equivalent to 1600 on the GH4. So in video you enjoy at least 2 stops of lowlight performance and in still 2 stops of DR, more resolution and better AF.

Plus, Panasonic over-sharpened 4k video will always look like panasonic over-sharpened 4K video, and Canon organic motion and colour will always look like organic motion and colours.

G80 is a GREAT camera. But I'd never use one without a SB as I despise the m43s 2.3x crop that made me sell the GH4, just cannot accept it as a filmmaker in aesthetic, it just lacks that LIFE. A Metabones EF SB with vintage soft M42 glass makes the magic appear, but too much money, too many adapters. G80 is a Great camera but not ULTIMATELY ''better' than an M5 that we still haven't handeled how the damn thing shoots and plays with the photographer/videographer.

Agreed.
I'm a bit confused. As far as I know, you never owned GH4 - link: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30754.msg622515#msg622515

burek

Quote from: KelvinK on September 16, 2016, 12:03:38 PM

Specs are good, but in real world: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20979-warning-about-panasonic-g8580-lens/?do=findComment&comment=167109.

dfort

Just thought I'd add my $0.02 to the discussion. Remember when the EOSM was introduced mid 2012 and there were only two lenses available. It seemed that Canon wasn't at all interested in the mirrorless market. A few years later this mirrorless camera is the first to sport a Digic 7 processor and several new EF-M lenses have been introduced by Canon and other lens makers.

Like other recent Canon products as it isn't as impressive as the competition but the mirrorless evolution is definitely moving forward.

Ant123

Quote from: dfort on January 21, 2017, 01:44:28 AMA few years later this mirrorless camera is the first to sport a Digic 7 processor

The first one was Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II.
Now we are sure EOS M5 is not EOS. It's one more PowerShot. So wellcome to CHDK forum...

Licaon_Kter

It only took Canon 4 years to show that it cares though.

Too bad M3/M5 are not really EOS.

dfort

Quote from: Ant123 on January 21, 2017, 09:22:00 AM
The first one was Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II.
Now we are sure EOS M5 is not EOS. It's one more PowerShot. So wellcome to CHDK forum...

Right, I should have said the first interchangeable lens mirrorless Canon camera or the first to have EOS stamped on the body. EOS just means "Electro-Optical System" which sounds rather generic to me. What digital camera isn't an Electro-Optical System?

Didn't Magic Lantern originally build off of CHDK, which stands for "Canon Hack Development Kit" ?

There's a saying that we use in the film industry when we finish shooting a take and need to reset everything for the next take:

Back to one!

In any case, I was simply pointing out that the M1 seemed to be the guts of a DSLR crammed into a little body while the M5 seems to be ahead of the DSLR development.

Ant123

Quote from: a1ex on January 21, 2017, 06:33:26 PM
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/ -> under "Your camera is not listed?"
There should be writen: "most of Canon EOS M cameras (M3, M5, M10) are based on PowerShot firmware"  :)
There are two cameras with CHDK vs. one with ML.

EOS M5 internals - there is no ADTG chip

a1ex

Ant123

There is no working port for M2, unlike M10
2 vs 1  :)

Baladeva

Hello guys,planing to buy canon eos m5.
Will I be able to put magic lantern on it?i really don't want to be stuck with no magic lantern available in my camera  :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Baladeva on February 27, 2017, 06:16:35 AM
Will I be able to put magic lantern on it?

No. Lookup CHDK project.

Kotrba

Hi all,

I am considering either the M5 or M6 for my new all-round daily and vacation camera.

Can anyone give me some good hints why I should choose the M6 over the M5?

The viewfinder in the small body M5 seems like a great one to have.

Otherwise it seems, the specs are more or less the same, right ?

Any recommendations, towards either one of them?
I hope that you can refer to this article and give me a professional advice. https://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-eos-m50-vs-eos-m100-vs-eos-m6-m5-whats-the-difference/

Thanks,

dfort

You do know that neither of these cameras will work with Magic Lantern, right? Maybe check on the CHDK project?