SleepWalking - Senior project using 5D RAW 14 bit

Started by wangtrirat, September 10, 2016, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangtrirat

This film has been shot entirely on 5D RAW 14 bit. It's my friend's senior project.

What's news in this film, I used ACES color grading method for this entire RAW workflow.

Equipment :

- Canon 5D Mark III
- 64GB Lexar 1066x X4
- Carl-Zeiss EOS DSLR Cinema lens
   35mm
   50mm
   85mm
   100mm marcro
   135mm
- ARRI 650w Fresnel Tungsten
- 2000w opened-face
- Some Kino-Flo

Sound record using
- Sound Devices 744T
- Sony UWP-D Wireless connected to Sound devices MM-1 for wireless boom
- Sennheiser MKH-60

Edit on Adobe Premiere CC 2015

Graded on Davinci Resolve 12.5 using ACES Color system.
MLVMystic for MLV - DNG Extraction.

Soundtrack from Hugo and Tomorrowland. Some excerpt composed with tomorrowland theme.

Thank you all developers for making this happen!!!!!!

DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

Simonwb

Very good, well done!  I don't know anything about sleepwalking but I liked the interplay of asleep/awake scenes.
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

CineRAW

Looks great!

I'm new to some of the concepts involved with ML. What do you mean by ACES Color system? How do you access that in Resolve 12.5?

thanks for sharing.

wangtrirat

Quote from: CineRAW on September 11, 2016, 12:07:10 AM
Looks great!

I'm new to some of the concepts involved with ML. What do you mean by ACES Color system? How do you access that in Resolve 12.5?

thanks for sharing.

Normally on setting in davinci will default at Davinci YRGB. They added ACES in 11 I guess.

ACES give me more dynamic exposure curve and control. I used ACEScc to grade raw. Which is color managed system.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

sylvain_c

That's remind me this movie with Geoges Clooney, Tomorrowland!
5D MKIII 1.1.3

KenshirouX

Everyone talked about the beauty of the video quality so I won't mentioned that.  What I am impressed with are your pans, tilts, shifts and zoom are silky smooth. I'm sure you used some stabilization in CC but what equipment did you use to achieve them?  Also, did you mainly filmed in 30fps because the movement looks too silky smooth compared to the usual 24fps 180' shutter that I record at. In fact, your looks more filmic in movement so I'd love to learn how you achieve this.

wangtrirat

Quote from: KenshirouX on September 13, 2016, 05:06:34 PM
Everyone talked about the beauty of the video quality so I won't mentioned that.  What I am impressed with are your pans, tilts, shifts and zoom are silky smooth. I'm sure you used some stabilization in CC but what equipment did you use to achieve them?  Also, did you mainly filmed in 30fps because the movement looks too silky smooth compared to the usual 24fps 180' shutter that I record at. In fact, your looks more filmic in movement so I'd love to learn how you achieve this.

Thanks, DP used heavy plate dolly and rail which uses in most professional film production. My University have it for student to borrow for production.

Some shot where unexpected jerk somehow leads to usage of CC Warp stabilizer which I export that shot from Davinci as DPX and stabilized on After effect then export dpx back to davinci.

I shot entirely on 25fps timebase with some 50fps highspeed shot with all time engage at 180° 1/50 shutter.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

Danne

Great production. I am curious how you would go on about to work with aces. Did you colorgrade aces as described with all steps with idt etc? Did you grade straight onto aces colorspace?

KenshirouX

25fps @ 50 shutter provided silky movement like that?! o_0  Right. I got some experimenting to do. Thank you very much. I've been using 24fps @ 48 shutter for a long time and I never ever got the movement/pixels shifting like a true cinematic movie. It has been infuriating. You sure no other tricks was done during your rendering? Your editing workflow was strictly 25fps @ 1080p? No other blending technique of any kind?

ANy chance you could tell us more about the grading? The shot is incredibly smooth, smoothness that I have never achieved. I'm positive that this is thanks to the lens but still, from grade point of view how did you achieve such silky smooth and soft texture like this?

wangtrirat

Quote from: Danne on September 13, 2016, 08:02:16 PM
Great production. I am curious how you would go on about to work with aces. Did you colorgrade aces as described with all steps with idt etc? Did you grade straight onto aces colorspace?

I haven't set any IDT because ACES just transform DNG to it's own color space mapped with luminance.

I apply some filmlook and curve which I used FUJI one.

Some shots in high-key scene and need to be soften the highlight. I key the highlight part and just soften with sharpen/soften tool in resolve.

Export directly to DCP to present in Cinema DCI-P3 gamut and just export another version to Rec.709 that you saw here.

Quote from: KenshirouX on September 14, 2016, 06:14:10 PM
25fps @ 50 shutter provided silky movement like that?! o_0  Right. I got some experimenting to do. Thank you very much. I've been using 24fps @ 48 shutter for a long time and I never ever got the movement/pixels shifting like a true cinematic movie. It has been infuriating. You sure no other tricks was done during your rendering? Your editing workflow was strictly 25fps @ 1080p? No other blending technique of any kind?

ANy chance you could tell us more about the grading? The shot is incredibly smooth, smoothness that I have never achieved. I'm positive that this is thanks to the lens but still, from grade point of view how did you achieve such silky smooth and soft texture like this?

I use ACEScc color manage system in Davinci which mapped color space and luminance to bahve like film behaved to light.

Filmlook that I used comes with Resolve itself. Fuji D65 sort of.

I control soften highlight in highkey scene with key and grab down the sharpness.

Normally Filmlook will do make your footage more depth of color. RAW file exhibit color really like film emulsion.

Not strictly as you said. I kind of used 25fps mostly.

25fps not much differ from 24fps as my eye see.

Some shots were shoot at 50fps and desqueez in Resolve.

Thanks for comments
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

anandkamal

Cool video Wangtrirat! Did you use the BMD film in 'input transform device' as i cannot see the option cinema DNG in resolve 11? Also, it just converts to rec709; can we further the grading with more control that we otherwise have in the flat BMD film look? You said that you have more flexibility in dynamic curve, how aces enhances the control? :) so many questions, sorry. Also, read like LUTs can't be much of a help too in ACES grading.