canon t2i input setting with mono mic

Started by mspincus, July 29, 2012, 06:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspincus

I bought a audio technica 3350 lav mic. What setting should i place ML on. External. internal stereo, ???

And other suggestions as to setting video.

Thanks

Led

Hi, you can either set it to external or auto int/ext. On auto mode it will switch to external once you plug the mic in.
The AT is battery powered, so you can turn the mic power off, and don't worry about stereo mono (I don't think there's a setting for it anyway?) because the plug on the mic is mono it will just record the same thing to both channels on the mic.
WORTH NOTING - because you are recording the same mono audio on both channels and can control the level of each channel independently, what some recordists like to do is set the left channel for what they consider to be optimal (say, main body of audio around -20, with louder bits peaking up to somewhere between -15 and -10) the set the right channel for about 10db lower.
What this gives you is a backup channel so if something is unexpectedly loud on the left channel and distorts it, you have the lower volume right channel as well which because it's lower level isn't distorted. You can then just paste the section from the right channel over the left channel in post production and bring the level up to match.
Cheers.

a1ex

Keep in mind that L/R gain is purely digital, so I don't think it will help at all with the backup channel. There is a reason why those gains turn red when you adjust them.

Led

Good point Alex, I was thinking there were separate analog gains, but didn't have the camera with me when I posted.
I guess you could still do it if you are using an external preamp.
If anyone really wanted to do it without an external preamp it could be done fairly simply by making a short stereo extender cable with what's called a T-pad on 1 side, which is constructed with simple resistors. Plenty of info on google about how to construct them and calculate resistor values for various db signal reduction. Bit off topic, but just in case I got someone's hopes up.. :)
Cheers.