I shot a whole wedding in RAW on the 5D (over 1.5 TB)

Started by MitchLally, August 31, 2016, 02:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchLally

Hey, just thought I'd share this with you guys. I've been experimenting with RAW at weddings but this is the first wedding where I actually had the balls to shoot EVERYTHING in raw video.

I shot this solo, but I had 3 cameras with me, all running RAW at 24, 50 and 60p throughout the day. I shot over a terabyte of MLV footage! (backing up as I go)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4SqMKiNkU

Was it worth it?

noipego

Simonwb

I don't know anything about wedding films but your footage looks great. What cameras and lenses did you use? (Edit: ah, found that listed in your comments under the film in YouTube, thanks.)
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

darkskies

Great video well Done ! And I see all your gear listed in your YouTube video ....

Deadcode

You catched lot of emotional shots, which is priceless. As is can see this would be an enormous amount of work in post.
Maybe YOU can tell it if it was worth it to shoot raw instead of compressed Technicolor Cinestyle

Im also courios about your charges, 10 hours of work at the wedding, and weeks in post :)

_OLLE_

axelcine

Totally beautiful. A marvel of a short movie, well planned and wonderfully carried out. And you left out all the clichés - thanks.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

MitchLally

Quote from: Deadcode on September 02, 2016, 09:52:23 AM
You catched lot of emotional shots, which is priceless. As is can see this would be an enormous amount of work in post.
Maybe YOU can tell it if it was worth it to shoot raw instead of compressed Technicolor Cinestyle

Im also courios about your charges, 10 hours of work at the wedding, and weeks in post :)

Thank you.

We charge around $3,500 AUD for this style of video. The couple also get a clean up edit of the ceremony and speeches.

It doesn't take a whole week for editing. Maybe 2-3 full days.

C T Mok

This video is adorable, in terms of shooting, grading, and storytelling, especially being done solo with multi cameras shooting simultaneously.

Shooting with ML Raw requires much more resources, longer processing time and complicated workflows. But when I sit down and am able to work the footages the way I want they look, it's totally worth it.