What camera to get?

Started by DSDeniso, August 29, 2016, 01:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSDeniso

Hi,

I think that I'm finally ready to get a camera for my video needs. I thought about getting a 750D, but it seems that it doesn't run ML (yet) and that people here recommended buying older models cheap. I friend of mine has told me that it's a bad idea to get cameras second hand — what are peoples opinion on this?

So what is my cheapest option that will get the job done? Preferably with a flip-out screen. What do you think? :-)

Thanks in advance!

whyfy

I have bought the canon 500d, 650d and now 60D all second hand without any problems.
I wouldn't get the 750D maybe you should look at the 70D.

Walter Schulz

If video = MLV/RAW with resolutions > 720p25 -> CF-based cam. 50D/7D/5D2.
50D was never intended to record video and there are some serious UI limitations.
50D/7D/5D2 are not able to use Dual-ISO for video.

DSDeniso

What is it that you don't like about the 750D? :-)

Ottoga

@DSDeniso
QuoteWhat is it that you don't like about the 750D?

If you want to use ML then you want to look at cameras that support it. The 750D doesn't.

Otherwise Walter's feedback is spot on.

Have a look at the feature matrix here https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features It may help you decide which supported camera model  is best for your needs.

There is always a risk when buying second hand. If you can try before you buy all the better. if not, all you've got to go by is the appearance, a shutter count if provided and the honesty of the seller.

Also, be aware of what it costs to buy some of these older model cameras new now vs what is being asked on the second hand market. You may be able to stretch your budget a bit and avoid the second hand market if the differences are not that great.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.