Buy a 5D Mark IV for a1ex.

Started by budafilms, August 28, 2016, 10:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

Devs or administrators should decide if this topic have to be post or not.

I think it's a good idea support a 5d Mark IV for research. This could be positive for future buyers. We can get better information, posibilities about ML into the camera. Or maybe wait for a 5D mark V :)

We are a lot of users. With an account, we can provide some bucks for our 4K future.

ML has been giving a lot of benefits. It's time to go further.

Ideas?

D_Odell

5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Walter Schulz

Levas

Has been discussed before, to buy cameras or pay money to the devs.
But the main problem is time.
The devs are limited in time, they also have lives ;)

Maybe you should try some forums where people are with programming skills and put a bounty on unlocking the 5dIV

Fipes

Kharak

I'm sure A1ex would like a brand new camera, question is if he wants to pull it apart ;)
once you go raw you never go back

ddelreal

I think maintaining current builds is priority right now. Plus, there is early development on dumping Digic6 so I would think that the 750/760, 80D and 7D2 would come first - at least I hope....

There could be ML for the 5D4 but I would think not for at least a couple of years.

pedz

Hi,

I'm a programmer with 30+ years of experience and dabble in various open source projects.  I've tracked down bugs in GNU's C compiler, Ruby, Rails, etc.

I'm also a photographer.  I'm curious about helping out.  Like the devs, I also have a life and am timid about promising much of anything.

I came here looking for information about Canon's Picture Profiles and one thing led to another.  I know next to nothing about Magic Lantern.  I am pretty sure I have bumped into it before but have been steered away because I shot the 1D line of cameras.  I currently own a 1DX MkII.  But I plan on buying a Canon 5Ds R soon for landscape photography.  Perhaps, maybe, I would change my mind and buy a new 5D MkIV instead (or both  :-\ )

As I said, I know nothing about Magic Lantern but it sounds like it has raw video.  Is that true?  It seems like a lot of people would be interested in getting that feature to more platforms but then again, I suppose the number of programmers that also shoot video is vanishing small.

budafilms

Quote from: ddelreal on August 28, 2016, 05:26:58 PM
I think maintaining current builds is priority right now. Plus, there is early development on dumping Digic6 so I would think that the 750/760, 80D and 7D2 would come first - at least I hope....

There could be ML for the 5D4 but I would think not for at least a couple of years.

I'm totally disagree with this. I think the most important it's the top product. The advantages for the rest of the line are a result of majors posibilities, not the minors.  5D it's superior to the rest products. The maximum to hack. After it's an adaptation.

But, a1ex should decide if he can work or just let the camera for other ocassion. But why we expect he has to buy one for research?

What did we got, what do we give?

I'm agree that we have to contribute. THis is for free and nobody it's helping except devs and very few people. THe rest like me have been taking advantages. Nice videos. Raw. Photos. Selling or not our job. 4 thousands  dollars it's 1 dollar per person. How much readers has the thread about "/new 5D announce".

The horse in front of the car?

;)

COCO

I would certainly support a porting endeavour to 5DMkIV, if it makes sense at all. If the prospects can't be judged on specs alone, I would participate in buying a body. If the Devs need time, take it - as CANON users and APERTUS backers we have learned to be patient. For the time being the 5DIII with MLV will do for me. Maybe it makes more sense to focus on 1Dc anyway. Now that it has been discontinued, CANON might not mind any more.
Gut Licht, gut Ton, und volle Kassen!

squig

@pedz Yes it's true re raw video. The 5D Mk3 can record full HD (1080p) 24fps raw, and 720p 60p raw. Aspect ratio is adjustable, and there are many other pro features. The image quality is unmatched by anything in its price range including the Blackmagic cameras.

You don't have to make any promises, everybody here has a life (except a1ex, pretty sure he's a Replicant). Just introduce yourself to a1ex. Any help would be most appreciated by the ML community.

pedz

I've seen mention there is a list of reasons why ML is not developed for the pro line of Canon cameras.  Can someone point me to that? I checked the sticky articles in the general developers forum and didn't see anything.

Audionut

Quote from: pedz on August 29, 2016, 03:11:48 PM
I've seen mention there is a list of reasons why ML is not developed for the pro line of Canon cameras.  Can someone point me to that? I checked the sticky articles in the general developers forum and didn't see anything.

Quote from: a1ex on January 17, 2013, 12:30:31 AM
Here's a summary of the legal issues that we should consider.........................

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 28, 2016, 10:19:23 AM
... and here we go again ...

tomekk