2.35 live view crop

Started by pimko, August 27, 2016, 10:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimko

Hi. First, thanks evrybody for the contributions.

I'm a filmmaker and I use my Canon 7D esentially for previewing my shots when I'm locating what I will shoot later either in filmstock or with Alexa.

My next film is going to be shot Alexa Mini with a 2.35 (2,39) aspect ratio so I have installed Magic Lantern to use that cropmark as a reference in my Canon 7D. It works awesome but the problem is once I have shot the take if I playback it in the camera (and that is what I do the most because I need to check it on the fly with my Director of Photography) the video is displayed without marks. So, ok, that's not a problem because I can put some tape on the LCD cover just to have an aproximation to the aspect ratio for a quick check. But... the playback of the 7D moved down the file while playing because it displays some info on top of it, so the position of the Magic Lantern cropmarks when recording and my tape are different.

The question is... is there any way of playback with cropmarks or is there any way of deciding the exact point on the screen for the video to be displayed? I cannot find anything.

I know a choice is using RAW but I shoot hundred of videos in a morning so it would produce an absurd amount of data I don't need because I don't need quality but only a refference.

Any help will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

whyfy

Magic lantern does not affect the canon menus and does not have the ability to change playback on videos only pictures.

pimko

ok, thanks for your answer!
any idea or suggestion to solve it?