Canon DSLR C-Log vs Technicolor Cinestyle

Started by Chungdha, August 23, 2016, 06:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chungdha

To try out C-Log Picture Profile for yourself you can download it from the website below:
http://www.chungdha.nl/?p=4191

DeafEyeJedi

Nice comparisons. I like the results. Would you mind sharing how/where did you get this particular C-Log for Canon DSLR?

Even though I think the Greens look better in Technicolor, however, C-log bolds well for Highlights/Midtones (at the cost of giving up details in the greens) somehow and that tells me that we should probably stick with both Camera Profiles when it comes to shooting H264.

Thanks for sharing @Chungdha!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Where is the download link? I can only find a download for "Convert From Doc to PDF, PDF to Doc Get the Free PDF Toolkit!"

Interesting project. I was thinking along those same lines for a while.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16299

Mind sharing your methods?

DeafEyeJedi

@dfort -- I had similar thoughts until I realized I had to do the following which was to either follow/like him on FB, or allow him to follow you on YouTube or just one of these click-in's from within his website.

dfort

@DeafEyeJedi -- Got it. Downloaded the C_LOG_htp.pf2 file. Copyright Canon INC., interesting. Editing in Canon PictureStyleEditor app disabled.

Where did this Picture Style originate from?

dude

Actually this video is a good example why not to use ultra-flat styles like Cinestyle with 8 bit.
There s nothing you will win- you even run the risk of losing highlights when grading, like in the video.

ddelreal

Well actually, I use my 7D2's with Atomos Ninja 2's and record to ProRes 422HQ.  It is still 8 bit but it's 8 bit 4.2.2 which is much better than h.264 8 bit 4.2.0. I use Cinestyle and sometimes Neutral but they seem to work much better when recorded externally. I'll have to try this "C-Log."

dfort

Quote from: dude on August 23, 2016, 11:40:18 PM
Actually this video is a good example why not to use ultra-flat styles like Cinestyle with 8 bit.
There s nothing you will win- you even run the risk of losing highlights when grading, like in the video.

To make that assessment you need to compare it to a "normal" picture style. I'll bet that any of the standard built in picture styles will lose more highlight and shadow detail than with a picture style that has a log gamma curve. (It may look flat but there is a difference between just flat and a proper log picture style.)

Quote from: ddelreal on August 24, 2016, 01:53:08 AM
Well actually, I use my 7D2's with Atomos Ninja 2's and record to ProRes 422HQ.  It is still 8 bit but it's 8 bit 4.2.2 which is much better than h.264 8 bit 4.2.0. I use Cinestyle and sometimes Neutral but they seem to work much better when recorded externally. I'll have to try this "C-Log."

With the Ninja 2 you should be able to use a more extreme log picture style. Something closer to what is used on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Yeah, it records in 10-bit so maybe not quite that extreme.

Of course where do you get these log picture styles? I'm still trying to figure that out myself:

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16299

Kharak

Doesn't look like C-log to me. Sorry to say.
once you go raw you never go back

noipego

dfort

Quote from: noipego on September 21, 2016, 10:55:31 AM
anyone tried the log profile from eoshd?
A few of us have taken a look at the EOSHD C-LOG Picture Style but haven't done any extensive tests with it yet. It does "look" a lot like the log picture style from a Canon EOS-1D C.

ddelreal

I've tried it, it's okay but more extensive testing needed with my Ninja 2's. I keep finding myself going back to Neutral -4. LogNeutral looks pretty good though.

DeafEyeJedi

ddelreal

Wow, great examples. I've used Faithful in the past, may have to revisit after seeing that footage.

markanini

Maybe it's just the way the LUTs are but Faithful seems to have better color depth.
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.

Danne

Neutral is very much like rec709 wouldn,t you say? I compared a little and by eye they look close. Someone maybe can confirm this.

markanini

I only remember reading claims of faithful being a close match between input and ouput at 5500k. Neutral has some mild color biases like greener yellows and desaturated whites. I always assumed BT.709 was used in H264, which HD video and JPEGs tend to use, but now I see the video headers report BT601 so the plot thickens...
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.

reddeercity

Quote from: markanini on September 24, 2016, 03:13:14 PM
I always assumed BT.709 was used in H264, which HD video and JPEGs tend to use, but now I see the video headers report BT601 so the plot thickens...
No Jpeg use sRGB color matrix

5D2, 7D , T2i ? For video h264 That's right BT601 (SD 6-1-6) full range (0-255) with BT709 color primaries (sRGB)  which is close but Not HD (1-1-1) Rec709/BT709 limited range (16-235) a.k.a. broadcast range .

So even the 1DC in 4K use BT601
http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/EOS_1DC_Brochure_011113.pdf
QuoteColor Sampling Method: YCbCr 4:2:2 (8-bit): 4K
Color Profile (Color Matrix): Rec. ITU-R BT.601: 4K, SD
Video Range: Full range (0–255)

5D3 and up camera's used HD (1-1-1) Bt709/rec709 color matrix in Video mode .

ImaXineria

@chungdha With this clog: Is The 18% at  32IRE as in others clog cameras?

dfort

Good questions but this topic is for comparing a new picture style by @Chungdha to CineStyle.

I was about to post something relative to that on the Reverse Engineering Picture Styles topic. Haven't gotten around to it but keep checking.

Ali Oliya

There is a huge difference between this C-LOG and the C-LOG in "mlrawviewer"! why is that?