[5D mark III RAW] Soulac-Sur-Mer - 2016

Started by GutterPump, August 23, 2016, 12:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GutterPump

Hello !

I made a very short video that represents the beautiful beaches of Soulac-Sur-Mer in France.

Color grade in Resolve with 12.5 Koji Colors luts
Edit in Premiere Pro with Pro FilmConvert.

https://vimeo.com/179799809

ps: I has a question about verical stripe, it's more visible in the sky even if i shot in ETTR (it is not visible at first glance but there's some traces when i force too much on the contrasts in Resolve) . I use neat video for fix it when it's too visible, but you know any best solutions for prevent this issue ?

I use the crop build from 2 april 2016.

a1ex

Quote from: GutterPump on August 23, 2016, 12:25:22 PM
it's more visible in the sky even if i shot in ETTR

ETTR has no effect on this problem, because it's a multiplicative issue.

In my opinion, the best fix is this, but since I've got zero feedback on it, it's not included in the main builds. I'll probably make a test build with the crop mode included as well, since this feature caused vertical stripes in H.264, so we need to check that too.

The next best fix is probably the one included in MLVFS, mlv_dump, raw2dng and other tools based on them.

aschille84

Beautiful work and color! I am amazed by the results you get @GutterPump. Very inspiring!

In regards to the vertical stripes issue, I would help of to test any build with a fix of the stripes issue @a1ex.
Seems very beneficial to me, and would make h264 crop mode recording even more useful.

GutterPump

Quote from: a1ex on August 23, 2016, 02:34:16 PM

In my opinion, the best fix is this, but since I've got zero feedback on it, it's not included in the main builds. I'll probably make a test build with the crop mode included as well, since this feature caused vertical stripes in H.264, so we need to check that too.

Thanks for your help Alex,

I did not know you had already implemented a fix to solve this problem. But I do not have enough developing knowledge to provide the use or implement.

If you combine this patch/fix in any build you can trust me to try and do tests!

If this solve the problem of verical banding, the 5D Mark III RAW will simply be more than perfect.

Quote from: aschille84 on August 23, 2016, 02:45:05 PM
Beautiful work and color! I am amazed by the results you get @GutterPump. Very inspiring!

Thanks for your feedback ! Now i'm feel "well" with color grading, even if i have still to learn a lot. The 5D mark III + Magic lantern is for me the best school for learn color grading with RAW footage on Resolve.

GutterPump

Just for show for users who don't know what we mean about this issue, i did screenshot who explain what are vericals stripes.

Of course for this result, i forced the contrast in Resolve for a best view of this issue.