RAW DNG MLV images over USB with ML or Gphoto

Started by auroraone, August 23, 2016, 01:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auroraone

I have been tearing my hair out with this one! Any pointers would be great.

I need to be able to transfer RAW DNG or MLV images (created by ML silent photo module) across the USB using gphoto or similar with a canon 700d in PTP. I can only get CR2 or JPG's to transfer. Transfer speed doesn't matter and I can do the operation after taking the photos. I can not unfortunately remove the SD card and insert into PC as this will be a remote timelapse camera setup. The camera can't be mounted in a USB mass storage mode, so I am stuck with PTP.

I have tried:
1. gphoto2 and gphoto2fs (mounted fuse sytem), but again I can only get the CR2 and JPG files. The other RAW do not appear.
2. I can see the RAW files using ML file browser on the SD and I can see them if I manually mount SD card onto PC.
3. Monitoring USB traffic with Vusbanalyzer. I have found some PTP actions, but I don't have much experience in scripting these to get the camera to grab the files. I will keep reading...

Is there a way to:
1. Getting an SD card to USB cable and mapping the USB port to a partition on my linux machine. This would emulate the SD with ML installed, while allowing me access to the partition. I don't know whether this will work, but it will require a fair bit of tinkering.
2. Reconfiguring gphoto scripts to get the DNG / MLV files and pull them across as a CR2 or raw format? I can then rename them.
3. Write an ML lua script to push these silent picture files across the usb  as they are written?

Otherwise, any other ideas???

THANKS!

dmilligan

Your best bet is probably going to be a wifi SD card (not all wifi cards are compatible with ML).

a1ex

My wifi card is so slow that I find it unusable even for downloading a few raw photos.

I think renaming the video files to CR2, for example, should do the trick.

auroraone

Thanks Alex. Sounds like renaming is the go. Do you know how I could execute this over usb? I am drawing blanks with LUA scripting. Doesn't seem to have a function to rename, just to list files and create new directories.

a1ex

Indeed, it doesn't have one, but it's easy to add an API.

Or, simply change the extension in the raw recording module and recompile.