After Effects Adobe Camera Raw Settings Inconsistent in Videos

Started by Roberto Mena, June 04, 2016, 10:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto Mena

In AfterEffects when I use and apply Adobe Camera Raw to my Magic Lantern DNG files and then export out as a movie file when I play back the footage the settings for the video (brightness, color correcting, etc.) starts to vary extremely when the camera moves with different lighting and objects are showed. In other words, its not consistent. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

Danne

It,s a known issue. In short. ACR is working in a non linear way treating every still image as unique when applying changes. This is not true with all sliders. Some fundamental work can be done in acr but not with all sliders.
Search around a little and you find some threads about this.

Mehmet Kozal

Known issue indeed. I think if you leave "highlights" and "shadows" sliders alone it should work much better for scenes where light changes dramatically when you do panning etc. But then what's the point if you are not getting the benefit of extra dynamic range that Magic Lantern Raw offers to you. That's why I use Cinelog and I'm really happy with it. It's a paid product but give it a look. There should be some free and similar products too.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

Roberto Mena

Yeah, finally found more info on this. The one thing that I really, really, love with ACR is the Dehaze control, my god, it makes my MLV images look that much sharper, cleaner and just way better. I have tried using only the Dehaze option on a video and not mess around with the other control settings but the flicker effect (not as obvious when more settings and controls used) but still, it doesn't look quite right, in other words, the flicker effect is less pronounced but still noticeable. Here's hoping Adobe makes a fix for this or just implements it into Premiere Pro for video use. I've tried looking to see if Davinci Resolve 12.5 might have a dehaze tool or the equivalent of it but have not found it. You guys have any other suggestions?

squig

Try the script http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8850.0

Otherwise use ACR to debayer, denoise, and sharpen; export as prores4444, and grade in Resolve.

Roberto Mena