Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yourboylloyd

I just asked around for the rom in the discord chat. You should really join it!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

chris_overseas

Quote from: reddeercity on September 17, 2020, 08:59:10 AM
is there any one out there on the forum that have the source for the 5D Mark iv ?

The best place to start would be with my old BitBucket repository, it contains the most recent progress on the 5D4 along with a (somewhat inaccurate) todo list of sorts. The difficulty is that BitBucket deleted all their Hg repos, plus my home PC (where my copy of the repo lives) is currently in storage (I'm part way through a house move). To make things worse I'm also away travelling for the next few weeks with no ability to access my home PC in the meantime. Your best bet would be to find someone who backed up the BitBucket Hg repos and grab a copy of my code from what used to be https://bitbucket.org/chris_miller, and see how you go from there.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Ant123

Quote from: chris_overseas on September 17, 2020, 06:43:05 PM
Your best bet would be to find someone who backed up the BitBucket Hg repos and grab a copy of my code from what used to be https://bitbucket.org/chris_miller, and see how you go from there.

Probably archive.org can help...

reddeercity

@chris_overseas , thanks I'm not in a big rush at the moment , still looking for a good deal on the 5d4 other then new one or course .
So hoping i can get one used in the next 3-4 weeks , I need reliable 4k now without aliasing and RT preview with auto focus for work (news & short doc's -- run & gun sometimes)
Beside that all my gear is still setup for full frame dlsr bodies , (Redrock micro rig/matte box , 4x3 filtes, ninja hdmi HD recorder,  etc. ....)
I can use a 5d4 right out of the box without magic lantern , unlike the 5d3 which need magic lantern for 4k , thou it raw  :D
I can live with C-Log 8bit 422 4k , which has about the same DR as a 10bit non Log prores file e.g. rec709 .
I did download some Repo when a1ex was backing up ML source  , I'll see if your's is there .

Quote from: Ant123 on September 17, 2020, 07:15:19 PM
Probably archive.org can help...
First thing I check , no source or commit data , etc. ....  :'(

a1ex

It is, indeed, in the archive, under chris_miller/ml-fork:

Quote from: a1ex on June 27, 2020, 11:13:26 AM
Please find the archive with all ML forks, here: ml-repos.tar.xz

Caveat: unzipping that file took me about an hour of processing time and 17 GiB of space.

However, if you are looking for raw video, you may want to know I wasn't able to save a full-sized DNG yet (experiments start around here). The same experiment worked without much trouble on 80D.

My hypothesis back then was that some important parts from image capture configuration might be offloaded to a secondary CPU (Omar). If that's true, getting raw video out of this camera might be as difficult as porting crop_rec to the 7D (that is, orders of magnitude harder than porting crop_rec to any other DIGIC 4/5 camera).

reddeercity

Quote from: a1ex on September 18, 2020, 07:09:34 AM
It is, indeed, in the archive, under chris_miller/ml-fork:

Caveat: unzipping that file took me about an hour of processing time and 17 GiB of space.

However, if you are looking for raw video, you may want to know I wasn't able to save a full-sized DNG yet (experiments start around here). The same experiment worked without much trouble on 80D.

My hypothesis back then was that some important parts from image capture configuration might be offloaded to a secondary CPU (Omar). If that's true, getting raw video out of this camera might be as difficult as porting crop_rec to the 7D (that is, orders of magnitude harder than porting crop_rec to any other DIGIC 4/5 camera).

@a1ex thanks , thats what i wanted to know  :)
Ok i understand , I was looking for all the d6 info but didn't see that. I'll re-read over all this and see if i understand it enough to work this port e.g. raw video & other features ,
but that not the only thing i like to get up & running , I would like to get at least ml gui with the feature we use today (not including raw video)
Something to the effect before raw video was a thing .

It's good to know the source is still there , thanks .

Still not 100% sure if that's the cam i want ( still like the new eos R there's a speed booster RF-EF lens available now that reducers 4k crop factor from 1.7 to 1.24)
So would you say that the 80D would be more achievable/easier for raw video ?

a1ex

Getting the basic features working (menus, intervalometer etc) shouldn't be harder than on any other DIGIC 6/7/8/10 camera.

80D can output a 1080p-sized DNG without much fuss, so getting raw video is likely straightforward. On 5D4, we need to request a larger size for the Bayer raw data, to cover the entire frame - this is the missing bit from the puzzle (where is that done in Canon firmware, and how to modify it?)

There is a caveat on DIGIC 6 - there's no known way to temporarily patch parts in the ROM. On DIGIC 2..5, we can patch a small number of 32-bit integers directly in the cache (aka "cache hacks") - though, they are only required for advanced features. On DIGIC 7..10 (Cortex A9) we've got a MMU, so we can remap any parts of the ROM into RAM, and patch pretty much anything - without actually modifying the ROM. On DIGIC 6, there's no known way to patch ROM contents, though it might be possible with ARM debug registers. Others tried, without success, to my knowledge (I didn't).

Such a patch might be required for getting full-size raw video, but I don't know yet what exactly to patch. That alone may take several hundred hours of investigation. Even if I'll spend these hours on this particular task, there's no guarantee I'll succeed, even if the community would pay me at the rate suggested by names_are_hard.

Or I might be wrong and you'll figure it out in a few hours. I'm pretty bad at estimating the difficulty of a task in advance :D

yourboylloyd

Quote from: reddeercity on September 18, 2020, 07:58:42 AM
still like the new eos R there's a speed booster RF-EF lens available now that reducers 4k crop factor from 1.7 to 1.24
It also works on the R6 in Fullframe!! I'm making an entire video about this. 0.71x Medium Format crop factor on EF lenses!

(Sorry I know it's unrelated but also at the same time related to discussion)
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

reddeercity

@a1ex , thanks ! yes i thought it would be a tough nut to crack . I was actively bidding on a 5D4 on ebay that when for a tumble & swim  ???
had a broken battery door & don't startup/bootup so i thought if i could get it for under $400 even if it wouldn't power up it would have been good
to take apart and explore  :D , by sadly someone paid $1200.0 for it  :o , that was far to much in my books , specially that it didn't even power up . 
But that 80D sound interesting , that it's that close to raw video , and more develop  , I'll kept a eye out for a cheap 80D .

I'll keep searching for a 5d4 also , I think there's a lot of people with  DIGIC 6 , 7 etc. ... would come to help if there see a active development .
I'm willing to get thing started the best i can , when i have a d6,7,etc. ... cam   

Walter Schulz

In Germany (notorious for low prices on used cams) you will have to pay around 1700 Euro for 5D4 in mint condition.

codemonkey

I wrote a1ex in a pm but I didn't get a reply.  Although it's probably a stupid idea, I'm from Germany and have a 5d4, but I might be willing to lend it to a ml guy, but my main motivation is for raw video, 1080p would be fine first.

But it seems like this might be really difficult with a 2nd proc thing.  Or maybe I could send it to someone that can get all the info needed for other developers. 

It also has c-log, but I'm not sure how that will affect  anything? 

Sapporo

C log in 5D IV is just an on/off feature in the firmware. Same as language restriction or WiFi/GPS.
Possible to change with Tornado EOS but I also suppose A1ex could do the same.

a1ex

Quote from: codemonkey on September 30, 2020, 10:02:42 AM
I wrote a1ex in a pm but I didn't get a reply.

I couldn't find any message from you, neither PM, nor e-mail. Anyway.

QuoteI'm from Germany and have a 5d4, but I might be willing to lend it to a ml guy, but my main motivation is for raw video, 1080p would be fine first.

In my case, the main issue is not lack of hardware - that's relatively easy to get on the used market, or borrow from a friend etc. The biggest problem, in *my* case, is the allocation of large amounts of time for hobby projects (estimated several hundred hours required for a working port, not including maintenance). I'm no longer able to allocate this amount of time without risking my ability to put food on the table. This wasn't an issue before ~ 2017, but living expenses increased a lot in recent years (they doubled this year, for example). I'm already looking for a second job (tried freelancing, without success, but still considering it), and having an extra 5D4 to take care of, is definitely not going to help, as it only means additional workload for me. Even if I'll be allowed to sell it afterwards, I still won't be tempted, sorry.

In other words:
Quote from: Audionut on September 07, 2017, 06:14:13 AM
Need hardware + time.

Hardware is easy.

However, that's my motivation behind Open Collective - if it works out (unlikely, given the reverse engineering nature of our project), and if I'll be able to cover at least a significant part of my living expenses out of that, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, I'm really sorry, but this port will have to be created and maintained by somebody else. Same for all other cameras that are not yet supported.

So, if other developers are willing to look into it and can prove their skills first, preferably on another DIGIC 6 camera, OK from my side. Just be careful with lending - I won't be able to guarantee they will succeed, or that they will actually return the camera afterwards ;)

Quote from: Sapporo on September 30, 2020, 01:36:50 PM
C log in 5D IV is just an on/off feature in the firmware. Same as language restriction or WiFi/GPS.
Possible to change with Tornado EOS but I also suppose A1ex could do the same.

As for C-Log, if it's a paid upgrade, I wouldn't touch it, no matter how trivial it might be to unlock. It would be software piracy, which could upset Canon and put our project in danger.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 29, 2020, 10:07:43 AM
In Germany (notorious for low prices on used cams) you will have to pay around 1700 Euro for 5D4 in mint condition.

Just found an offer: 1000 €, 3 batteries (no type info yet). Shutter count: 270,000

codemonkey

Quote from: a1ex on September 30, 2020, 05:28:30 PM
I couldn't find any message from you, neither PM, nor e-mail. Anyway.

In my case, the main issue is not lack of hardware - that's relatively easy to get on the used market, or borrow from a friend etc. The biggest problem, in *my* case, is the allocation of large amounts of time for hobby projects (estimated several hundred hours required for a working port, not including maintenance). I'm no longer able to allocate this amount of time without risking my ability to put food on the table. This wasn't an issue before ~ 2017, but living expenses increased a lot in recent years (they doubled this year, for example). I'm already looking for a second job (tried freelancing, without success, but still considering it), and having an extra 5D4 to take care of, is definitely not going to help, as it only means additional workload for me. Even if I'll be allowed to sell it afterwards, I still won't be tempted, sorry.

In other words:
However, that's my motivation behind Open Collective - if it works out (unlikely, given the reverse engineering nature of our project), and if I'll be able to cover at least a significant part of my living expenses out of that, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, I'm really sorry, but this port will have to be created and maintained by somebody else. Same for all other cameras that are not yet supported.

So, if other developers are willing to look into it and can prove their skills first, preferably on another DIGIC 6 camera, OK from my side. Just be careful with lending - I won't be able to guarantee they will succeed, or that they will actually return the camera afterwards ;)

As for C-Log, if it's a paid upgrade, I wouldn't touch it, no matter how trivial it might be to unlock. It would be software piracy, which could upset Canon and put our project in danger.

Oh, I already paid and sent my camera in for c-log. I wasn't looking for a hack or anything. But I could've sworn reading somewhere that there was an issue with clog and ML.

Sapporo

siddh408

Hello,
       Long time ML user on 5D Mark II and looking to purchase a Mark IV. Is anyone successfully using ML on the Mark IV? Thank you to ML developers

names_are_hard

No, there is no real ML for 5D4.  We have a partial version that boots and does some early stuff, but there's still lots of debugging work needed.  No devs have access to 5D4 so don't expect any progress.

siddh408

thank you for the reply. Guess I was hoping for a miracle. Merry Christmas!

Kevs09

Hi everyone! I have a 5DIV and I'm a software eng. How can I help? Really want ML on my 5DIV

josd

Pleez god, make ML alive on mk IV

names_are_hard

Quote from: Kevs09 on January 21, 2022, 09:11:25 PM
Hi everyone! I have a 5DIV and I'm a software eng. How can I help? Really want ML on my 5DIV

Hi - somehow I missed this message.  If you're still interested, we have a testable build (with very limited features) for 5D4, but it crashes early on.  Probably, you will want to get UART access to your cam (not hard for this model) in order to debug.  No active devs have access to a 5D4 with UART.

It should look like this, under the thumb grip:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7531.msg224730#msg224730

Some cams have the socket soldered, some don't.  We have Gerber files for ordering a flexible PCB to connect to the socket.  We know the socket part if yours doesn't have it and you want to add it.  Otherwise, you can use whatever probes work for you to contact the right pin.  You only need one pin connected to get debug output.

madzharov

Hello, guys!
First of all thank you for your great work through the years! When i've learned about Magic Lantern back in time i was blown away. So thank you for the work that you putted in it so we can use it :)
Now i have 5D IV and i started a YouTube channel where i shoot nature. I want the best quality for my videos and the answer for me is Magic Lantern. When i saw what @Masc did with the MK3 that was a conformation for me that i need to grab a MK3 to learn to do the same. This videos are really great for me.
I have a question guys, do you still work on the MK IV, how is it going? it's very interesting to me. I thing to sell my MK IV and buy a MK 3. But before that i want to know is there any hope that you will release Magic Lantern for the MK IV?
And sorry for my english

Greetings from Bulgaria :)

Walter Schulz

Any chance? Yes.
Any time soon? No. We are talking about years ...