Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cshell

I realize what you're trying to tell me-but I really do want to help and just don't know where to start. I guess a better way to ask that question is do I need to just start at the beginning and go?

narcis5DM4

Hello 2 everybody! Im new here, and I hope that the team who manages ML for 5DM4 doesnt give up :)! I have a questions, i hope is not dumb: is any other version of ML from the other cameras that is compatible with 5DM4? If it is, is anyone here who tried? :) Thanks a lot! I hope everyone is positive regarding ML for 5DM4. Cheers!

masc

Quote from: narcis5DM4 on April 06, 2020, 06:12:05 AM
I hope that the team who manages ML for 5DM4 doesnt give up :)!
Never fear... the team won't give up ... there is no team and nobody working on it atm. ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

narcis5DM4

I see... Thats ok! A vacation it should give some inspiration :D! Thanks for the response! :)

reddeercity

Being looking thought this thread and it seems ML is pretty close to be running , so far as I can see firmware 112 , stubs.S & consts.h are found
and has minimal.c running .
Still a lot of reversing needs to done on the rom , but of all the EOS new camera's the 5D Mark iv (ok it not new really) has the best chance to make it to the finish line.
Why I'm I posting about this , I've been look at that the 5D4 for some time and now the price is dropping ($2100.00 Canadian Used) .
I can do some of this port work , but there still a lot of this that over my head (It seems I have nothing but time on my hands right now)
I know there's a lot of people out there that what this to happen , but two things need to happen ,
1st: I need the hardware (so the cheapest I can find , so that could take so time , don't hold your breath)
2nd: help from a core dev. from time to time or at least at a pointer in the direction I need to go .

I'm not saying I can finish porting this fully but with help , I'm willing to try .
So until I come across a great deal on a 5D4 body , I'll be reviewing porting procedure & code for the digic6 and try and get my head around this better .

IDA_ML

Reddeercity,

Have you given up completely on the 7D?  You have such an excellent experience with Digic 4 processors!  Right now, a used 7D in a very good condition and low shutter count can be found at about 1/10-th of the price of a used 5D4.

ilia3101

Just removed a few posts from this thread, some troll conversation. I will do this again if required.

There isn't much progress now, but please keep the thread tidy, so it's easier to find stuff when there actually is progress.

adrock318

Hi! I'm new to the forum and have never used ML, but I've always heard incredible things about it. I've had the Mark IV since it's release and have been patiently waiting for a ML release to unleash the camera's potential. Do we have any updates about the development of the software or a timeline for a possible release?

ThingsChange

shhd

Without a raw camera from the parent company and without the magic lantern, this camera is not worth its value

ThingsChange

Well, if ML for 5D4 is ever released, it will probably surprise everyone in the community again, especially with its underrated sensor.  I don't think video output in the newer models would hold a candle to 14bit lossless... Even dedicated cinema cameras do not do that.

shhd

ML with 5D4 is a dream I yearn to enter the ML community and read good news
But it seems that this will not be achieved as the 5D3 version has more than 5 years, and since that day there is not even a simple or experimental version on 5D4

names_are_hard

If you yearn to enter the ML community: buy a camera that supports ML.  Complaining that other people are not doing enough work for you, for free, is not helpful, and is likely to make progress slower.

shhd

Dear, thank you and thank you for the great ML community members
I am not asking anyone to make an effort for me
I just wish there was a ML on the 5D4 that would be really cool
The problem is that I have 5Div and 7Dii and it is hard for me to buy another so I am very eager to read good news

names_are_hard

Enthusiasm is good!  Saying "it seems that this will not be achieved" does not help.  It's not the best news, but because the supported cameras are old, you can buy them second hand for cheap.

ThingsChange

shhd, if you read through this thread alone, you will see that there is still some developer interest.  Being negative definitely does not help.  Given that there seems to be some correlation between developer interest and the value proposition of a camera (EOS M, for example), the quick drop in 5D prices with recent camera releases may be a good thing.  Of course I say that with a disclaimer that if you are interested in using ML, your best bet always is with a port that currently exists.

Walter Schulz

See replies #452, #456.

70MM13

here's a different angle on the 5d4 question:

other than the slightly better sensor, what are the other (if any) advantages it has over the 5d3, especially for video?

does anyone have hard specs on the card slots, for example?
how about the sensor read rate?

etc...

with danne's wonderful work on the 5d3, it feels "finished"!
maybe it's time for a real pragmatic look at just how much better the 5d4 is.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: 70MM13 on August 03, 2020, 01:18:50 PM
...other than the slightly better sensor, what are the other (if any) advantages it has over the 5d3, especially for video?

Spot on. Not much better. Ha!  :P

...with danne's wonderful work on the 5d3, it feels "finished"!

Absolutely! @Danne's work always feels finished and yet somehow he has more under the sleeves. Purely magic! 8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

domasa

what are the other (if any) advantages it has over the 5d3, especially for video?
5D IV can record 4k video in default. Yes, it is only MJPEG, but I suppose this is reason, why live view could be smooth (colorful and without compromise)  during recording raw video.. moreover on lcd screen with more than 1.5x more details.
Shooting without realtime display (cropped view or slowing down) is unusable for me.

Dmytro_ua

what are the other (if any) advantages it has over the 5d3, especially for video?

Continuous DPAF for video
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

codemonkey

Quote from: reddeercity on April 23, 2020, 04:11:44 AM
Being looking thought this thread and it seems ML is pretty close to be running , so far as I can see firmware 112 , stubs.S & consts.h are found
and has minimal.c running .
Still a lot of reversing needs to done on the rom , but of all the EOS new camera's the 5D Mark iv (ok it not new really) has the best chance to make it to the finish line.
Why I'm I posting about this , I've been look at that the 5D4 for some time and now the price is dropping ($2100.00 Canadian Used) .
I can do some of this port work , but there still a lot of this that over my head (It seems I have nothing but time on my hands right now)
I know there's a lot of people out there that what this to happen , but two things need to happen ,
1st: I need the hardware (so the cheapest I can find , so that could take so time , don't hold your breath)
2nd: help from a core dev. from time to time or at least at a pointer in the direction I need to go .

I'm not saying I can finish porting this fully but with help , I'm willing to try .
So until I come across a great deal on a 5D4 body , I'll be reviewing porting procedure & code for the digic6 and try and get my head around this better .

How long would you need a camera for?     I have one so i f you want me to do tests I can? 

codemonkey

Quote from: domasa on August 03, 2020, 10:49:36 PM
5D IV can record 4k video in default. Yes, it is only MJPEG, but I suppose this is reason, why live view could be smooth (colorful and without compromise)  during recording raw video.. moreover on lcd screen with more than 1.5x more details.
Shooting without realtime display (cropped view or slowing down) is unusable for me.

The quality of the 4k is good, the annoying thing is the 1,7x crop. 

ThingsChange

I wouldn't call it just a slightly better sensor. The jump from 5D3 to 4 was far more significant than from 5D2 to 3. Better dynamic range, higher light sensitivity, less chromatic noise. There are also more refined AA filter and much faster sensor read out.

here's a different angle on the 5d4 question:

other than the slightly better sensor, what are the other (if any) advantages it has over the 5d3, especially for video?

does anyone have hard specs on the card slots, for example?
how about the sensor read rate?

etc...

with danne's wonderful work on the 5d3, it feels "finished"!
maybe it's time for a real pragmatic look at just how much better the 5d4 is.

reddeercity

As some may know I'm looking to get a new camera , I'm starting to favor the 5D4 over the 5D3 & the R6&5 are out of my budget right now .
I read thought this thread so I know there been lot of work on the 5D4 , there even a Boot flag firmware available v.112 so I wondering 
is there any one out there on the forum that have the source for the 5D Mark iv ?

I was wanting to look at what has been done to date to see if i can continue on porting this to ml for raw video etc. ....
So if what left is in my range of abilities then i would get a 5D4 and work on this port , but if there is still a lot of low level reverse engineering
then i would have to think twice about it . So I hope someone can point me to the source or pm a copy please
as ML source is still not up & running with the latest branches . 
:)