Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerocool22

Well yeah I could care less about inbody stabilization. I already got a lot of grip to do that for me.

But I would love:
- Increase resolution
- Increase details
- Increase dynamic range
- Increase low light capabilities
- Increase slow motion capabilities

AOK

Well there you go!  You already have it with 5D4 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rideck

Hi there, I'am new to the Forum and I love the Idea from zerocool22! I would love to see Magic Lantern coming for the Mk IV and of course I would give some money as well.

macane

Raw 4K on 5D4-ML might require incredible faster media to record. So, as a 5D4 shooter, I would say a camera hack with no crop factor and non stupid MJPEG should be ideal for me. CHEERS!

olofen

I do not think it is possible to record 4K (or 6K...) RAW on the media setup provided by Canon inside Mk IV but with an Atomos or similar EXTERNAL recorder it should be manageable....
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

Maximo

4k external recording would have to be hacked by magic lantern team if possible, for now 2K external recording only. Cinema DNG or other RAW compression formats may allow 4K internal recording?

c4v3man

Looking at the mjpg 4k recording and associated frame grabs, I'm assuming if Magic Lantern is ever ported to this camera, that there's a decent chance of 4k silent photos without any sort of shutter speed limitations? That would be handy for timelapses, although the 1.74x crop certainly limits it's use.

bgusto

Hi - I recently purchased two Mark IVs. I was excited to shoot 4k, but I'm wondering if I should sell them and downgrade to Mark IIIs so I can use Magic Lantern. Thoughts on ML vs Canon's 4k? (Besides the crop...)

Any progress update on ML for 5d Mark IV?

Thanks.

D_Odell

Quote from: bgusto on February 12, 2017, 06:12:10 AM
Hi - I recently purchased two Mark IVs. I was excited to shoot 4k, but I'm wondering if I should sell them and downgrade to Mark IIIs so I can use Magic Lantern. Thoughts on ML vs Canon's 4k? (Besides the crop...)

Any progress update on ML for 5d Mark IV?

Thanks.
Do you need 4K? If so, the easy of use in shooting what the camera is made to do is not what ML is. ML in for me an option to go further for that kind of options like post- and color grading. Waiting for ML for the IV is not gona happen in near (years? or never will) future..
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

clement2

if you really need professional dslr for 4k video shooting, canon is totally out of the field. it's 4k video looks like 1080p quality. and it's follow the route as predecessor 5d3 when it shot 1080p, the quality looks like 720p in sony.

rather than waiting for ML to support 5d4, it is better to get the sony one as it has already got overexposure zebra, focus peaking, sharper nicer video and much more.

ilia3101

@clement2 That's completely wrong, please show me where 5D IV 4k looks like 1080p, I don't think that's true at all. Sony video, yes, its technically better, dynamic range whatever.... but 5D mkIV has far better colour and doesn't have the ugly sony yellow highlights(possibly fixable with difficult to grade slog). Only reason to choose a sony over 5D IV is crop(or price, but then you'd obviously go with a 5D3).

bgusto

Quote from: D_Odell on February 13, 2017, 12:03:14 AM
Do you need 4K? If so, the easy of use in shooting what the camera is made to do is not what ML is. ML in for me an option to go further for that kind of options like post- and color grading. Waiting for ML for the IV is not gona happen in near (years? or never will) future..

The most important things to me are dynamic range and color grading. I also like the 2:35:1 crop on ML. I just want great picture quality.

D_Odell

Quote from: bgusto on February 14, 2017, 02:58:54 AM
The most important things to me are dynamic range and color grading. I also like the 2:35:1 crop on ML. I just want great picture quality.
OT. You get that on both models. The 5D4 has more resolution, but color grading is as you know a better choice going with a 5D3. But expose right, get the colors you like (ambient light or other) and nobody cares if RAW or not. ML is more post processing, do you like that, then 5D3 maybe is the choice..
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

AOK

I hope ML will manage to hack it sooner than 5D3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krrish Venkat

Hi,
       New to this forum. Willing to buy mark iv only bcoz of ML. Plz Plz Plz ML shed some light that you are developing ML for mark IV otherwise, it is waste of time and money to buy mark iv and I'll stick with mark iii with ML.

Walter Schulz

There is no ML for 5D4 and ML project does not know about schedules, delivery dates.

bkling

Got to wait..it is not going to be fast I think to port ML onto 5D4. Either way, I already bought it.

bwinter88

For those of you unsure about trying the 5D mk3 in the meantime...

I used to be obsessive about resolution and pixels...always wanting to know the next best piece of kit out there with the highest resolution. Then I entered a film festival and watched, on a 20 foot screen, 1st place go to a piece shot on miniDV, beating out RED cameras.

Obviously one size does not fit all but frankly the color depth and quality of the RAW footage delivered by ML on the 5dmk3 is nothing short of stunning. I have been shooting on it for large jobs for more than a few years now. A lot of my jobs involve shooting the motion portion of a photographic campaign and having RAW sequences allows me to match the results of the photographer and retoucher. It rivals even Alexa footage and scales up to 4K beautifully. If you are on the fence, just go for it and try it. 5Dmk3 bodies are too cheap now not to at least give it a go. Just my 2c.

Also, I am not so confident that a useful version of ML for the mk4 will be released anytime soon, if ever. The reason being that existing versions of ML simply hijack the existing readout of the sensor and dump raw data. If 4K without the 1.74x is to be achieved, ML will have to go farther than previous developments have and figure out a completely new way of reading 4K off the sensor full-frame. Someone with more intimate knowledge of the process may be able to correct me.

blackcannonfilms

Quote from: clement2 on February 13, 2017, 02:20:23 PM
if you really need professional dslr for 4k video shooting, canon is totally out of the field. it's 4k video looks like 1080p quality. and it's follow the route as predecessor 5d3 when it shot 1080p, the quality looks like 720p in sony.

rather than waiting for ML to support 5d4, it is better to get the sony one as it has already got overexposure zebra, focus peaking, sharper nicer video and much more.

I mean no disrespect but anyone considering a 5D4 over a Sony should disregard Clement2's comment as his/her statement is in many ways misleading and incorrect. For some reason Sony shooters have an insecurity that pushes them to lurk and pop into Canon discussions so they can boast about how they jumped ship and why we should too -but truth be told there is no one camera that is better than the other, they all have flaws and it really comes down to preference. A camera is only a tool and those who understand the limitations of their tools will know how to work with them to get the most out of it.

I have been shooting on both the A7sii and FS5 for just over a year now. I also picked up the 5D4 to replace my 5D3 when it came out, so speaking from personal experience I can confidently say the 5D4 is a huge improvement on its predecessor and it has many advantages over the Sony cameras many people love. The 4k mjpeg codec is heavy but I have been very pleased with the range it gives in post both for colour and for cropping/resizing as the image is consistently clean and beautiful. It goes without saying, it does not have the perks of raw recording and I definitely miss the other ML functions. Despite that, the 5D4 is tack sharp in 1080p 24/30/60 and 4K modes, and yes the 720 is slightly softer (as I expected). The camera also records 120fps in 720p with a surprisingly high bit rate (150mbps if memory serves me right) that hardly shows any artefacts (if any) and prevents the image from from falling apart in post. Looking at images from the two cameras side by side leads me to believe that the Sony is also recording 120fps at 720p but upscaling it internally to give the impression that it's reaching higher specs than it's competitors. It's also worth noting that the Sony's mentioned here both shoot UHD 4k and not true 4k, which means they're shooting 3840x2160 instead of 496x2160 like the Canon. Now, the biggest downfall to Canon's flagship DSLR is that the 4k recording suffers heavily from rolling shutter (as does the A7sii) and the 5D switches to a 1.74x crop mode to do it, which for many shooters is a disappointment because we've been spoiled by the shallow dof of full frame video for the last few years. However, that being said 1.74x crop is very close to Super 35 and I personally haven't found this to be a negative but a positive because a good dp/videographer will know which lenses to use to achieve the desired results and I actually appreciate gaining that extra reach out of all of my lenses. The only other downfall of the 5D4 is that the only way to achieve an s-log look is with Eoshd's reverse engineered c-log picture profile which I haven't really put through all it's paces but on first glance looks very promising. Apart from those few minor weaknesses, the 5D4 doesn't look like it at first but it is a hell of a camera and a welcomed upgrade to anyone who didn't jump on the Sony bandwagon.

A side note is that for those who prefer an easier workflow, the 5D4 blows the Sony's out of the water from the on set accessories right through post production. To elaborate on that, most Sony lens options are disappointing and have electronic zooms or focus rings which make follow focus rings unusable as the rings change their marks depending on how fast or slowly you move them. So most people will pick up a Metabones or Fotodiox adapter to fit EF or other third party lenses which means you lose AF functionality and depending on the lens, 1 out of 20 times the body doesn't read the lens properly so you need to power down, remove the lens, power back up and this becomes very annoying when you're on a high stress shoot (not to mention the tiny A7sii batteries which barely last around 30-40mins at a time so you need to bring a bunch or have a charging station handy). Also for those of you who haven't yet had the opportunity to shoot on a Sony, every time you format a the card, the file system re-starts the next shot at 0001.mp4, 0002.mp4 all over again, which means you need to batch rename your clips before editing or you'll have a hell of a time reconnecting a project in post if you move it from drive to drive because you run the risk of having duplicate file names in the same bin. The only way the Sony sensors retain their highlights (which I have to say, they do very, very, very well!) is by shooting in s-log 3 which means the base iso jumps up to 1600 and 3200 on the A7sii and the fs5 respectively. This higher iso necessitates the use of ND filters both indoors and outdoors depending on your lighting scenario and ND filters from brand to brand have different hues than the internal variable ND in the FS5 so when you get to the colouring stage of post production, not only is there already a big learning curve for slog3 colouring but if you mix cameras or use ND filters on your lenses, the blacks can vary in hue making colouring even more difficult. Meanwhile the Canon sensor retains all iso options and is clean for video well up until 6400 which I don't think I've ever really shot past on a Sony and been happy with the results, so for low light performance the Canon's are on par (for my needs, at least). The 5D4 also outputs natural colours and skin tones which many users will find familiar and easy to correction/grade, keeping the post prod workflow simple.

All this to say, I'm excited and eager to see if ML ever comes to the 5D4, the team here has done a wonderful job and the feature I miss the most is the magic zoom! Please guys, give us some updates on a nightly!

Pedr

Although I agree with much of  @blackcannonfilms, I have also used both the 5D4 and the Sony A7R2 and have to say, I think the video from the Sony is vastly superior, as are it's video related features. There is much less of a difference in the quality of the stills (though if you are shooting landscapes / outdoors or printing huge you will definitely notice it). However, the sony is a horrible camera in many ways. Its menus are a labyrinth, its buttons inferior to Canon. Using an adapter is often problematic and certainly doesn't increase your feeling of confidence when using the lens. Also, and possibly most importantly, the Sony is a nightmare for dust on the sensor - I rarely had issues with the Canon or my 5D Mk3 before it, but all I have to do is change lenses on the Sony and (if I am outside or in a dusty environment) I can pretty much guarantee I'll have new dust on the sensor. If you shoot a lot outside, this (along with the Sony's much less robust construction and lack of weather sealing) is a deal breaker. Much better quality video spattered with dust spots is not much better quality video. Or worse yet, no video at all is not better quality if as your adapter has failed (as happened to me twice with two different adapters).

The truth is that neither of these cameras are great for shooting video. For stills, I think I would choose the Canon. If I was shooting video entirely in clean studio environment I would choose the Sony. Otherwise I would buy a dedicated video camera. I think the Canon is just a bit of a turkey in this regard and only slightly disappointing in terms of stills (and in six months it will already be showing its age). Maybe the ML guys will be able to work a miracle (again), but I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

SiSS

"There has been another suggestion that Canon has been actively looking at ways to "improve" the 4K video capture crop on the EOS 5D Mark IV"
That would be nice too.

andy kh

Mjpeg or h264 wil never b as good as raw no matter it gets c-log or whatever log
5D Mark III - 70D

mothaibaphoto

"We're now asking sources if the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II will see a similar firmware update..." - WTF???
Is that even possible that 5D outperforms 1Dx in video?
If that really happens, I promise you, Canon, I will break that sacred oath myself :)
And yes, in-camera Log is good, but not substitute for raw.
Finally, i was waiting for something like that - Canon need to improve it's DSLR video to make GH5 less attractive.
It looks like they have a big room for that - 4K thru HDMI, Log...

noipego

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on March 22, 2017, 04:25:03 PM
Is that even possible that 5D outperforms 1Dx in video?

oh don't worry mk3 outperforms both :)