Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchLally

@noipego its very similar looking to the 6D – more moire than the Mark III – in my eyes the image qual of h264 is more or less identical. Hardly worthy of an upgrade considering what is currently on offer with ML + 5D3. 4K image is noisy as hell.

Oh and if you're waiting for ML on 5D4 – its a $3500 gamble at this point as you can't predict 5D4 will run raw recording / ML in foreseeable future / ML at all.

Deny

@noipego despite what other people say I'm getting good results with the 5D4 4k (downscaling to 1080p), and DPAF with touch focus is to die for. WIFI IMHO is good for stills, if you want to monitor video you're better off with the DSLR Controller app for Android, which connects through the USB cable.

Regarding 1080p quality, I feel 4k downscaled to 1080p looks better (more detail) than 1080p on-camera, that's using the exact same settings and comparing them side by side after adjusting 4k->1080p. Not a huge deal, could be the AA filter, I don't know, but I'd rather use the best IQ I can get in my footage. The downside is, of course, the huge files @4k, don't even think about shooting 4k with the 5D4 without at least a 256GB sdcard or CF card, 95MB/s minimum (Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC 95MB/s works fine) so the camera itself will format it using ExFat and therefore won't split takes into multiple 4GB files.

Regarding noise, I wouldn't say 4k is "noisy as hell" given proper lighting, but it's certainly noisier than 1080p. The fact that even then I've chosen to shoot 4k gives away my opinion about the compromises involved in that choice.

noipego

thx for replies...@Deny im using dslr contr. with gimbal so i change camera settings on the fly. I've seen in couple reviews that wifi monitoring has similar delay in image display as the dslr contr....but i maybe wrong

Maximo

Indeed Sandisk Extreme PRO 64GB and 128GB classe 10 95MB/S sdxc sdhc sd  uhs-I U3 work fine. Was able to shoot non stop 30 minutes of footage in 4K on the 128GB one.  Wouldn't say 4K is "noisy as hell" either. I've only noticed noise shooting at the end of the day with higher ISO. During the day with low ISO, I cannot notice any noise. Touch AF on the screen is amazing. You can also do touch AF on a windows 10 tablet using EOS utility. Connecting the 5D4 to the usb port of my tablet opens EOS utility. Select on the screen where you want it to focus, done. Magnification X5 and X10 works and is great, you can also start the recording touching the screen.Despite USB 3 potential limitations, the lag is not strong. Unless you're shooting sports events, I find it totally usable. Of course a 12 or 13 inch tablet is too big to be used as a field monitor if you're shooting on your own in the streets but useful on location or in a studio. The tablet I have has a USB C Thunderbolt 3 port as well meaning you can recharge your tablet with an external battery while you are using it. Soon, on Windows phones running Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processors (and others) one will be able to install any windows deskop app: http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/7/13866936/microsoft-windows-10-arm-desktop-apps-support-qualcomm
This means you could most likely have EOS utility on a windows phone and use it as a field monitor with touch AF bringing a very powerful feature field monitors do not have. I'm not a Windows fan but it could be a pretty cool feature on a phone.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: Maximo on January 03, 2017, 03:25:37 PM
You can also do touch AF on a windows 10 tablet using EOS utility.
Need to say that EOS utility on my Microsoft Surface 3(4Gb) is extremely laggy,
what makes it unusable as field monitor with touch AF.
And I'm very sceptic about it would work with acceptable performance on Snapdragon 835.
What tablet do you use in your experiments?

hjfilmspeed

I would say canon improved the 1080p h.264 a bit on the 5d4. There is more detail then the 5d3 in h.264. 5d3 + ml 1080 is still better as far as color. Obviously. I'm sure the 5D 4 will have its ML some day. Probably going to be a lot more complex but look at how stable the 5d3 is now compared to when the first beta was released.

Maximo

@mothaibaphoto I'm using an Acer switch alpha 12 (2.3-GHz Intel Core i5-6200U CPU, 8GB of RAM, SSD 256). Maybe the specs help? You're right the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processors may not be powerful enough for a fluid experience. Hard to say until anyone has tried it.

mothaibaphoto

@Maximo Thanks. Core i5 has more power than Atom, for sure.
And just 300g heavier :)
By the way, EOS utility not the only software for this kind of job.
I will try qDslrDashboard, for example, next time.

AOK

Are there any plans to write an ML app (ios, android, win) for remote control via wi-fi and regular tethering?

The current app Canon connect 2.0 is clumsy for 5D4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KelvinK

There's an app for 6D for remote control. DSLR Controller. Never tried it tho.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

AOK

I think I know it. But I mean an own ML app (again open source).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcmary

Hi there!
I searched, but perhaps wasn't wasn't searching for the right string...  Is there anyone actively working on ML for the 5d Mark IV?

a1ex

If a couple of evenings every few weeks counts as "actively", then yes.

However, currently none of the core developers has a DIGIC 6 camera and I didn't feel the urge to upgrade yet. Lots of interesting things are left to discover, or were discovered but not yet put to good use, on previous models.

So, for now, I'm just tinkering with the firmware in QEMU. Not just on 5D4, but also on other D6 models, including PowerShots, and on secondary cores from DIGIC 5. In particular, the Eeko CPU core allows anyone with a DIGIC 5 camera to experiment with Thumb code.

Basically, any commit you see regarding a DIGIC 6 or newer model is relevant, to some extent, for all the others, as they are quite similar inside.

RenatoPhoto

5DIV does seem to be a beast!  But if someday the 5DS is cracked by A1lex then I would buy one as a true replacement for my aging 5D3.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

budafilms

I have a dream: a module to make Mpeg - or directly DNG, Jpg, into the cameras.
Why buy a 5d4 or Sony Alpha? :)

olofen

Maybe there is a way to combine the Dual Pixel situation into one entity getting 6K....?
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

Maximo

Google's recent research on image compression may (or may not) be available one day:
https://www.blog.google/products/google-plus/saving-you-bandwidth-through-machine-learning/
If so wondering if it could it bring compression to 4k mjpeg or 4k dng?

zerocool22

Can't we buy a 5D IV for the developers. I mean there are thousands of ML users out there, even if we all just chip in 1$. We could get one for them. And hopefully they can crack it. As for many users like myself I dont see the need to upgrade without magic lantern RAW on it.

olofen

I am willing to chip in!
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

olofen

Today everybody is trying to extend the dynamic range for film. You took the first step with the HDR setup. Canon copied you in Mk IV. Why not copy yourself again with bisecting the fps another round down to 15 fps!? Or/and try a different road and find a new solution extending the wonderful (!?) software inside Mk IV to new Wuthering heights by way of The Magic Lantern
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

hjfilmspeed

QuoteI mean there are thousands of ML users out there, even if we all just chip in 1$. We could get one for them. And hopefully they can crack it.
@zerocool22 Yes we could...... and I would totally chip in but... But what the developers need most is more developers testers, and more time. Remember they are not getting paid for the COUNTLESS hours it takes to code, time not spent with family and friends, time spent at a desk.
I for one can barely grasp even the simplest forms of HTML. In time they will get to the IV and getting them one could speed it up. But DEVs gotta eat and sleep too. Imagine the complexity of the 5Divs new touch screen. And then you will have to get a few more 5Divs for others to test since, I doubt there are many that are willing to risk there brand new IV on a port. Give it time and test where and when you can. I'm thinking of attempting to try the emulator. That looks fun and you never know if you might stumble on something.

tomekk

I'd chip in every month if that would help development keep going :).

D_Odell

I was thinking the same before but when 5D4 doesn't have 5 axis stabilisation then I believe it's a bit to much to ask for. I'm not a developer so I can't really say, but my indication is that the cam is to close to 5D3 for al the work. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

jrumans

Quote from: D_Odell on January 28, 2017, 03:44:41 PM
I was thinking the same before but when 5D4 doesn't have 5 axis stabilisation then I believe it's a bit to much to ask for. I'm not a developer so I can't really say, but my indication is that the cam is to close to 5D3 for al the work. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I love my 5d IV, it is a really solid camera. I haven't touched my 5d3 in quite awhile, but use it as a backup when necessary, or for RAW video. Not sure why you would think that a camera without 5 axis stabilization isn't worthy of a ML port  ???

Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.

D_Odell

Quote from: jrumans on January 29, 2017, 10:01:48 PM
I love my 5d IV, it is a really solid camera. I haven't touched my 5d3 in quite awhile, but use it as a backup when necessary, or for RAW video. Not sure why you would think that a camera without 5 axis stabilization isn't worthy of a ML port  ???
Not worthy, but in what purpose? Is it 4K? Will the cam even handle 4K RAW video, the lack of faster cards..? The option of stabilization is one tool that would wow me. Of course not everyone..
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie