Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiSS

"CANON ANNOUNCES THE EOS 5D MARK IV"
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-announces-the-eos-5d-mark-iv-dslr/

Release date is supposedly 25th and big 5D event starting couple of days after that in Japan.

Lot of reliable rumors surfacing [link updated, full list]:
http://www.canonrumors.com/full-specifications-images-of-eos-5d-mark-iv/

Worst thing so far: No CFast card.
Same codec as in 1DX mark II: 4:2:2 8bit 500mbps MJPEG
No word about uncompressed HDMI out or any LOG, neither of these in 1DX mark II.
Biggest scare so far: Speculation about leaving DPAF out (which sounds crazy).

Newer CPU tough, so...maybe better FullHD ML RAW capabilities at least...

Edit: changed title from "Canon 5D Mark IV - two weeks out"
Edit2: changed title from "to be announced next week"
Edit3: changed title from "Few More Days"

GutterPump

Im already in hope to see others Magic Lantern miracles on the 5D mark IV :)

D_Odell

Without CFast I feel it's pretty doomed for higher resolution in Raw. Of course they don't like not to benefit from ML super work...
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Kharak

7 fps at around lets say 25 MB per pic - 175 MB/s write speed? With CF card? Perhaps dual CF card. Or will the pictures have less bits than mk iii ? 12 bit?

A lot of guessing, better wait for the actual release.

What resolution is 30.4 mega pixels?
once you go raw you never go back

GutterPump

Yep. If the buffer limitation isnt the same than the mk III, we can expect best RAW performances even if we cant expect CFast fonction..

jmanord

I'm most curious about the resulting floor on reduced mark III prices  :) I'm hooked on ML raw video and would love to pick up a second body "for my wife".

chris_overseas

The 5D3 resolution is 5760x3840 and RAW files are (very roughly) 27MB or so each.

A 5D4 at 30.4MP would mean a resolution something like 6750x4500, with RAW files around say 37MB each.

The 5D3 can shoot photos at 6fps, which requires 6 x 27 = ~160MB/s. The 5D3 CF card slot can only write at around 100MB/s though, which is why the onboard RAW buffer fills up (and the fps slows down) after a few seconds of continuous shooting.

Even assuming the 5D4 can write at the maximum theoretical speed of 160MB/s to CF card, at 7fps x 37MB= ~260MB/s the RAW buffer will still fill up (and fps will slow down) quite quickly. Presumably the buffer will be big enough that the 5D4 is capable of 7fps continuous for at least as long as the 5D3, but I wouldn't expect too much beyond that.

As far as continuous RAW video goes, 1920x1080x25fps requires ~87MB/s which is close to the upper limit of the 5D3. Even in the best case scenario on the 5D4 (160MB/s writes), it doesn't look like it would be capable of 1920x1080x50fps continuous but would still have fairly noticeable headroom over the 5D3. Only time will tell what the real numbers are.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

D_Odell

Guessing that without CFast there won't be super slowmo functions. But one buyers wish would be to get a sensor with much much better dynamic range, wishful thinking would be +14 stops. 5D3 has 12 which ain't much nowadays.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

jtvision

Regardless of specs I'm assuning image quality from 4k sensor will be significantly better. I remember not being able to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p footage shot on BMPC, because 1080p shot on 4k sensor is really good.

ph2007

really hope the 5d4 will get ML raw, so I can get rid of my 6d ;P

MarkusAedo

I'm also extremely bummed cfast cards are not available for this camera. At the very least if these specs are true, the best I can hope for is the SD cards being UHS-II. That would give a substantial boost over the CF cards.

We'll just have to wait and see.

goldenchild9to5

Bring on the 5D4 for the 5D3's to drop in price so I can get a second one  :D.   I'll stick with my 5D3 for a very long time. 

chris_overseas

5D4 specs are here: http://www.canonrumors.com/full-specifications-images-of-eos-5d-mark-iv/

Note that it's possible the SD slot (with SDXC) is going to be the faster than the CF slot. We don't know the full spec of that SD slot yet but SDXC v4 with UHS-II is rated at up to 312MB/s.

I'll probably be picking one of these up, but not for another couple of months once there's good availability and the prices drop slightly.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

KelvinK

They say 4:2:2, but no details if its via HDMI or internal.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

SiSS

Good call MarkusAedo and chris_overseas!
CF is at end of the line, Compact Flash Association have decided not to improve the technology anymore.

4:2:2 could be 4K internal.
If I got it right, 1DX II don't have uncompressed HDMI and that was one of the rare firmware updates from Canon to really make a difference when it hit 5DIII.

Edit: This is from B&H 1DX II:
When recording in-camera, 4K video has 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth.
While Full HD 1080p footage has 4:2:0 sampling.
Uncompressed Full HD 1080p video can also be saved via HDMI to an optional external recorder with 4:2:2 color sampling.

KelvinK

Why they reducing sampling in 1080p? Quite weird.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

They upgraded to USB3.0 at last, I'm sure SD slot will be upgraded too.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

SiSS

Missed that, it's a good one too. Speed up tethering I hope...

Yeah why reduce sampling in 1080 1D X II?
My guess, Canon still has six different cameras on their Cinema EOS line available:
C100, C100 II, 1DC, C300, C300 II, C500:
http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Canon&ci=28624&N=3705627354+4291570227
And more to come at IBC in few weeks (C700? maybe even C100 III by the end of the year?).

Levas

Does somebody already know what the purpose is of the raw files with full data of DPAF ?
Is it to extract some more detail out ?
30 megapixel sensor, but 60 megapixel with DPAF, but with pairs of pixels under the same RGB color, so I'm curious how much extra detail there is in real life...

Walter Schulz

Dual-ISO comes to mind ...
But this is just my shot in the dark.

KelvinK

no Dual-ISO

Newly developed 30.4MP CMOS sensor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Dual Pixel RAW: One of the RAW file recording both the normal image and the parallax information. Digital Photo Professional of the "Dual Pixel RAW Optimizer" in the can: three of image processing
Image Micro-adjustment: by using the depth information, fine adjustment enables the position of the maximum sharpness and resolution
Bokeh Shift: to change the position of the previous blur (original: repositions the viewpoint of foreground bokeh for a more pleasing result)
Ghosting Reduction: reduces the ghost and flare

Image processing engine DIGIC6 +
New noise processing algorithm that reduce the noise more effectively
ISO 100-32000 (extended sensitivity ISO 50, ISO 51200, ISO 102400)
DLO (Digital Lens Optimiser) diffraction correction (adds fine detail in the Picture Style)
Auto-Focus 61 points. Corresponding to F8 in all of the distance measuring point. Focusing down to -3EV (live view -4EV)
Seven AF area selection modes, including a "large zone AF"
100% field view in optical finder, magnification 0.71 times
Electronic level (2-axis)
LCD monitor 3.2 inches 1.62 million dots
Touch panel
150,000-pixel RGB + IR metering sensor
252 zone photometry
EOS iSA system
EOS iTR system
Continuous shooting up to 7 frames/sec (OVF is used)
Servo AF live view continuous shooting 4.3 frames/sec.
Touch AF
Touch Shutter
Mirror vibration control system (MVCS)
Anti-flicker system
Wi-Fi built-in (IEEE802.11 b/g/n)
NFC-enabled
EOS's first FTP/FTPS transfer function (wireless file transmitter required)
GPS built-in
GPS logger function
4K 30fps video mode (MJPEG)
4K 30p 4: 2: 2 support Motion JPEG
Full HD 60 fps (ALL-I, IPB)
HD 120 fps (ALL-I)
JPEG images of 8.8MP from 4K video in the camera
0.25 times the HD 120fps high frame rate movies for slow motion
CF (UDMA7) and dual-card slot of SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I)
Built-in interval timer and valve timer
Durability of the shutter 150,000 actuations
Magnesium alloy body
Weather sealing (dust and water)
The size is 150.7mm x 116.4mm x 75.9mm (5.93 x 4.58 x 2.98 inches)
Weight: 890g/1.96lbs (battery, including memory card), 800g/1.76lbs (body only)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

and unfortunately no SDXC-UII  :'(
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ph2007

any info about the HDMI output?
will it be a clean HDMI?

Greg

Do not worry, none dev will buy 5D4.

jmanord

Why would they need to buy one? Surely the leaked photos are enough to allow the devs to have ML working on day one. If not, I'm sure they are highly motivated by all the $ and thank you posts that are heaped upon them daily.  ;)