Noise Reducing - help

Started by derus001, August 09, 2016, 07:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derus001

Hi everyone!

I'm kind oF new in the ML world but I've been getting along pretty well and I love it!

But I want to clean up my footage more,
how do I get rid of the noise in my raw video footage?

I use After effects and Premiere pro on my Macbook pro

I made the video with an ISO 6400 set (not Dual iso)

when i shoot videos in bright daylight the clips turn out fine, but the darker the environment the more noise i get on the footage, Is there any good way to go around this? Preset in camera/ post production? 

I really want that cinematic look especially in dark pictures

Thanks!

PS. I have a 700D

budafilms

Davinci Resolve, pay version has a Noise Reduction.

If you want to save money, you can try with the free Handshake - google it - and have some Noise Reduction function in the setting for export.

Apple Compressor, has a noise reduction too.

Before these softwares try to contrast the image with waveforms, scoops, black to zeros, etc. You can looking for in youtube videos about this.

8)

Levas

"I really want that cinematic look especially in dark

Do you mean scenes at night time, do what most of them do, shoot in daylight and bring down exposure and turn white balance to blue ;)

Or crush the hell out of the shadows in post process.
Take the lower left of the luma curve and move it to the right...maybe lift a bit to get clean gray shadows.

Kharak

Neat Video Pro for After Effects gets the job done.
once you go raw you never go back

extremelypoorfilmaker

Don't shoot RAW at more than 1600 ISO in very DARK condition, and ISO 3200 is really, really the limit. Anything more than that, consider the noise as an "artistic choice"

Ideally, my suggestion is try to shoot footage that DON'T need to be tweaked in post with noise reducing plug-ins.

DeafEyeJedi

Or perhaps DarkFraming Average Processing especially for those that shoot @ ISO 6400?

5D3 @ ISO 3200 (pushed exposure to +5.00 in ACR for this test purpose):

Pre-DF Avg

Post-DF Avg

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kharak

@deafeye

Could you make a textual or video tutorial on how to do the darkframe average?

Is it only mlvfs? I remember trying to do it when Danne, i think came with it, but i hit some kind of wall and didnt look in to it again.

I think darkframing with my method of NR could yield some unpresedented results

DeafEyeJedi

Danne

Talking of MLP I implemented ffmpeg noise reduction filters which can be combined and tested easily.
Put this FFmpeg_settings.txt file in A_lut_hold folder prior to running MLV/RAW files and a menu will appear.

Kharak

ah yeah.. the wall I hit was the Mac ;)

I am on PC.

Kharak

@Deafeyejedi or anyone else with Mac

Because there is no way for me of doing this Darkframe Subtraction on Windows, could you post an MLV file or CinemaDNG files (however it is done) with Darkframe subtraction already done, preferably the very video you posted above with ISO 3200.

Or how does this Darkframe process work? Is it only after conversion to other codecs, like Prores etc? If its processing to DNG files or MLV files, I would like to try out my little technique of Noise Reduction together with Darkframe, I think this could result in some unprecedented results. Alexa style stuff.. A I M

I will require a MLV file or Image Sequence as the NR is processed over several frames.

derus001

Thanks for all the tips guys! unfortunate my camera was stolen, and i just recovered the insurance money. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 7D though. Thoughts?

D_Odell

I actually never go over 1250 ISO. Instead choose your time for rec.
Also a F1.2 lens is a good help when stressful moments come with no extra lights. Last if material is screwed, try Neat video.

Quote from: derus001 on November 17, 2016, 10:18:12 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! unfortunate my camera was stolen, and i just recovered the insurance money. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 7D though. Thoughts?

Just go for a used 5D3. Sorry for ya loss.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

budafilms

DeafEyeJedi

A used 5D3 in the ballpark of $1000 to $1200 should be sufficient for your needs!

extremelypoorfilmaker

7D it's attractive But with magic lantern 5D3 all the way! :)

hyalinejim

Quote from: Kharak on August 29, 2016, 10:19:29 AM
ah yeah.. the wall I hit was the Mac ;)

I am on PC.

MLVProducer works really well with dark frame subtraction. Using one of its Log exports you can get very similar looking results to ACR or Resolve, although the colours are not quite the same as either of those two. But it's worth it for any low light footage. And it's quite straightforward to use, if a little idiosyncratic.

That, combined with a good Neat Video temporal noise reduction will give you clean-ish video with fairly accurate colours at 12800 on the 5D3.... especially if it is exposed to the right. It might be a little bit smeary here and there due to the noise reduction but it's more usable than you might expect.

Here's an ISO 12800 with plenty of shadow areas denoised using darkframe + Neat Video:

extremelypoorfilmaker

@hyalinejim

BIG UP!!
That frame looks delicious to me, but anyway, I learned to embrace the noise a long time ago :)