Journal from Indonesia // 5DIII ML RAW

Started by audunnw, July 24, 2016, 09:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audunnw

In Summer 2014 my girlfriend and I went exploring Indonesia. A long the way i made this video trying to capture our travel essence. Everything is shot in ML RAW with 5DIII.

I bought the gear a few months before I left, and didn't have too much money, so I couldn't afford to buy more then one new lens. For those of you interested, here is what I used.

5D markIII
Sigma Art f4.0 24-105mm and a tiffen ND filter.
Canon 1.8 50mm
Røde videomic Pro
4x komputerbay 1024x 64GB memory cards for the raw recording.

Post production workflow
I converted everything with the MLV to Dng converter. But I have later purchased the MLVMagic which is much more convenient for batch converting.
I imported the Dng-files into Da Vinci Resolve and applied Hunter's 5D ML Raw Lut (found here: vimeo.com/67970827/).
I exported everything to apple prores 422 proxy with the "assign reel name" option checked in the Da Vinci resolve settings.
I imported and cut the project in Adobe Premiere Pro.
Then I exported the xml to Da Vinci.
In Da Vinci I imported the xml and unchecked the box for "import new footage" so that Da Vinci would use the original DNG files and not the 422 proxy ones.
I graded the files and used the LUT, and exported the timeline as apple prores 4444 HQ with Xml as individual clips with 75 frame handles.
I imported the new Xml and graded footage back to premiere and added effects like warp stabilize.
From there I exported the project to the finished file.

For the music I bought a song from musicbed.com

Thank you for watching!

Audun

aschille84

Looks great! Lovely color and motifs.
Mind to share what lenses used and choice of post-processing route?

audunnw

Thank you! I updated the description with more information about what gear I used, and the post production process :)