Painting TIMELAPSE Music Video - MLRAW + INTERVALOMETER

Started by calebdescognets, July 22, 2016, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calebdescognets

Hey friends,

I recently released another music video that I used ML for and wanted to share it with the community to see what you all had to say  8)

I used MLRaw for the final shot of the video at 48FPS and for the rest of the video I used ML's intervalometer to shoot raw CR2s at a semi-consistent rate while I moved the camera on a tripod every photo a few inches.  Sometimes, I'd take the camera off the tripod and use my 5D3's burst mode to get almost real-time shots of brush strokes and paint splatters.

This video seemed simple in concept but proved to be quite the challenge putting it into motion.  For post processing I just imported all (3,000) CR2 Raw Images into lightroom for basic grading and exported as .TIFFs and then imported all .TIFFs into aftereffects as an image sequence and exported as ProRes 422 HQ to make one long clip that I then cut up and edited down in FCPX.

For the Paint overlay/transitions that happen 3-4 times throughout the video I painted a piece of wood green to key out and then used a blue paint overtop to paint the effects, making a brush stroke and then shooting a photo and then repeat repeat repeat to animate the effect later in post.  For the titles I used the artist's font (POLARCODE) which they had custom made for them and traced it off the screen onto a piece of paper.  I then put another piece of paper overtop the traced title and traced again, repeating this a total of 5 times.  I took a photo of each tracing and imported them into illustrator, vectorized them, brought the vectors into aftereffects, aligned them overtop each other and then cycled through the layers to animate the title.  My human error in tracing makes it seem to wiggle.  I did this for all the intro titles and yes, it was exhausting but well worth it  ;)

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Cheers,
Caleb

wesley426