Canon 70D no life, only blinks low battery on top LCD screen with dead battery

Started by jaydosige, July 22, 2016, 04:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaydosige

Hey guys, new to the forum but have used Magic Lantern extensively over the last few years.

I haven't had any problems with it up until the last week. My 70D now won't respond to pretty much anything I throw at it. The only time it will respond is if I put a battery that is depleted (confirmed by my working 60D) it will blink the low battery icon on the top LCD. If the battery is charged there is no response.

Here's what I've tried:
No SD in camera
No SD in camera after waiting 20 minutes with no battery
Full formatted SD with nothing on the card
Full formatted SD with EOSCard used to make bootable, nothing else on the card
Full formatted SD with EOSCard used to make bootableand both Firmware A and B
Full formatted SD with EOSCard used to make bootable with portable display test autoexec.bin
Full formatted SD without EOSCard used to make bootable with portable display test autoexec.bin
Full formatted SD with EOSCard used to make bootable with LED Blinker autoexec.bin
Full formatted SD without EOSCard used to make bootable with LED blinker autoexec.bin

I have also tried connecting to my computer as well as testing with an SDHC and SDXC card.

I cannot remember if my camera used firmware A or B seeing I had installed it such a long time ago.

I can't imagine the camera is physically damaged (bent pins etc.) seeing I hadn't used the camera much leading up to when it wouldn't turn on but I can't rule that out.

Also it had been wet by light rain probably over a year ago but the camera never stopped working up until this point.

Any help would be awesome!

a1ex

Ouch. I'm afraid I'm not able to diagnose it if you are not able to run the LED blinking test :(

Debugging it via JTAG might help. I have no experience with this, but nikfreak has some. I wonder whether the bootloader was erased, or it's just a fuse on the main CPU.

The secondary CPU (aka MPU), which controls the top display among other things, is powering on. Normally, it's waiting for some message from the main CPU before showing anything (at least on 60D), but the low battery indicator is probably an exception.

jaydosige

Okay thanks, I'll look into it.

I'm feeling like it more than likely is liquid damage so I might take it apart and see what I can find. I've also just noticed then that the top LCD backlight flicks on for the tiniest amount of time when the battery is inserted then the door is closed. Doesn't do the same if you leave the battery in and just open and close the door or the SD card door.

I'll report back with my findings!

Also, with attempting to get it to work, knowing it had ML installed before, should I be not having an SD card inserted, SD inserted but completely blank, SD with EOSCard making it bootable but no ML or SD with EOSCard making it bootable with ML?

nikfreak

I'm afraid there's nothing to do. You seem to have tried all possible combos. The only thing left seems to be to send it in for a check / repair.

I don't think your issue was caused by ML.
The 70D - even w/o ML ever installed -  has issues by "design". I've come up across dozens of foreign forum posts / reports about failing focus, electronic level, err70/80 and such. You just need to search google for it. My personal opinion even is that Canon changed internal components between the so called "A / B revisions" of the cam and we therefore won't even see a fw update at all for this camera. I might be wrong on this but have less hope atm.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]