bricked CF card?

Started by fauxtoejoe, July 08, 2016, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxtoejoe

I was on a shoot and had to hastily grab a camera that was shooting time lapse with ML, I didn't shut it down properly, just turned off the camera. Now when I am trying to retrieve those images the CF card isn't recognized when inserted into the computer. If I put the card back into the camera I get an error message that says "card not formatted format card with this camera" but none of the buttons or menus seem to work.
Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

GutterPump

Whats the brandname of your CF ? Do you use a good card reader UDMA 7 certified ? Anyway i think your CF card is now corrupted and you must format it..

If you use komputerbay cards be carefull with them, some cards get corrupted easy.

fauxtoejoe

Thanks GutterPump. This is a SanDisk Extreme III 30mb/s 16GB. If anyone knows something I can try to do to save the data, that would be awesome (it was work for a client). If not, I guess formatting is my only option, though I'm not even sure how to go about doing that since the computer wont recognize it (I've tried on multiple machines) and the camera freezes on the error message until I take the battery out.

Ottoga

@fauxtoejoe

I'd search the forum a little harder for corrupt CF cards etc. There are utilities available that may enable you to recover the images. Formatting the card first will make that process harder.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.