Macro Focus Stacking for 70D

Started by jp37421, July 08, 2016, 04:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp37421

I would like to see the Canon 70D be able to set the beginning and ending focal point and then set the number of pictures to take in the series.  The process would enable the user to ensure that the entire focal range of the subject can be covered. 

Audionut

The developer of the 70D is busy trying to port ML to the 70D.  Once that's done, then features can be added.  Patience.

a1ex

The feature would work in the same way on all other cameras, so I'd say the request is valid.

It's not a very easy coding task, but there is indeed a lot of room for improvement in the current implementation.

Currently you can set the the number of steps between two pictures, and then the start and end focal point, so the resulting number of pictures is computed (pretty close to OP's request). Not sure how well this works on 70D though.

garry23

@jp37421

If I understand your need, you wish to focus on the front of an object, then then back and then grab the required images for the focus stack.

I believe you could easily do this in a Lua script. Although I wrote it for landscape focus bracketing, this script https://gist.github.com/pigeonhill/6620121ebe1548eb1bdaa6bea8598fac shows you what is possible.

In addition, the macro DoF equations are much simpler and near/far symmetric.

I would suggest you play around with a Lua script: I have found Lua very powerful and fun  ;)

Audionut

Quote from: a1ex on July 09, 2016, 05:17:57 PM
Currently you can set the the number of steps between two pictures, and then the start and end focal point, so the resulting number of pictures is computed (pretty close to OP's request). Not sure how well this works on 70D though.

I read the OP as being a porting request.  I think I tried playing with the focus stuff once back in about 2012.  :-[

frate

I've enjoyed using focus stacking on other Canon bodies with ML.  Wondering if there's any update on the 70D, or if I should add or bump a feature request.

a1ex

cc @nikfreak and @esas (this test suggests it might work out of the box with the lua_fix backend, also with crop_rec_4k builds).

The comment from 70D_merge_fw112 might no longer be valid, but somebody who owns the camera has to check it.

edit: enabled temporarily in latest lua_fix build (2018Feb17); please report back.

frate

I'll test on my 70D...with some instruction.

I have fw 1.1.2
ML 2018Feb0370D112

Any build and/or module I need to test and report?

a1ex

The current lua_fix build from the Experiments page has this feature enabled; the one from the main page does not.

frate

I look forward to trying this when I'm back in town.  Should be mid last week of Feb.  Meanwhile I'll read up.

ainu

Quote from: a1ex on February 17, 2018, 12:50:42 PM
The current lua_fix build from the Experiments page has ...

I test focus stacking - it work with standart settings (except count of pictures; I am add 1 after and 1 before focus point) without error.
Focus rack may be work too - at least I get no error, when start it. I am not shure that I know how it must work.
One note: I get menu blink (may be Canon menu) when use this features.

//Sorry for my English.
70D.112
Excuse for my English.