Old lenses and aperture

Started by SDX, July 28, 2012, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

If we could understand and modify his behavior (like we do for the ARM cpu), yes.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

asettico

I've installed ML 2.3 last week.
When I using a manual len (samyang 14mm f/2.8) equipped with an AF Confirmation chip on my 5D mkII, I'm unable to set used aperture on my camera, I have to set it to max aperture.
If not I got a 01 Error (Communication between camera and len).

I'm using this chip:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/EMF-AF-Confirm-chip-for-Canon-lens-EOS-EF-Adapter-/220943097874?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item33713c2012

AF confirmation chips are usefull, because with it I'm able to set aperture before shooting and I can record in my exif data the used aperture.

How can I help to solve this problem ?

I have four of this chip because I'm also using them with old m42 lenses.

If this can help I can send a copy of chip (with an m42 adapter) to somebody that can use it for developing.

I'm also a programmer, so If I can do something more just ask me, in this moment I have a very limited knowledge of ML and I'm unable to do it by myself.

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

I have a chip that doesn't let you set aperture. No errors, several cameras/lenses. Are you sure chip is exactly over all contacts? Everything is configured? This isn't an ML specific thing. You can cache hack the error out but I don't think it will do much good.

What happens in movie mode?

Good to know you can mount one to the samyangs as *SOMETHING* is a must with manual lenses.

imme

There are standalone chip makers who provide standalone chips. Just attach it with any lens and these chips start acting as CPU for that lens. feature are

1. AF confirmation beep.
2. EXIF data

but chip i am using also provides

3. Trap focus (As when camera achieves autofocus it automatically fires shutter)

If anybody can help in software like linking ML and any of these chips, an external motorized focusing rig for all these manual focus lenses can be done. This rig will make all manual focus lenses autofocusing mechanically....aperture controls can also be done.

pato

It would be great if you could make this happen! :)
I've got a EOS 550D and an old/new Sigma 400mm F5,6 APO HSR Macro lens. Open aperture is good, but any other causes an error message.
Attached are some of the debug logs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nshz3ncdoh8qf6g/LOG000.rar

luckyluc

Un site en français pour une solution  à ce problème
Ca fonctionne parfaitement avec mon sigma 400mm f5.6
http://altomcat.blogsite.org/

SDX

Ah yea, the well known ATtiny hack. You'll find that everywhere on the internet, it is quite popular a solution.

Also: this forum is english. We speak english, we read english and no one understands French.

sleepinghouse

QuoteUn site en français pour une solution  à ce problème
Ca fonctionne parfaitement avec mon sigma 400mm f5.6
http://altomcat.blogsite.org/

Luckyluc says there is a site in french for this problem. And that it works perfectly for their sigma 400mm f/5.6

Chrome has built in google translation for websites, I took some french so I figured out almost all of it but putting it in google translate takes 5 seconds.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

eggy

Yesterday I used attiny mod to rechip one Sigma 300mm APO lends. It worked nicely on 5D calssic and 7D, on new 6D body I got the lens error when changing aperture...any ideas? On 5D and 7d I did not notice any hick-ups even on 7fps shooting. Anyone got any experience on 6D?

a1ex

I also have trouble with third party chips for manual lenses on 5D3 (a no-name one and a optix v6). All OK on older cameras. Probably the lens protocol was changed.

Andy600

Protocol was definitely changed. The guy who I buy my adapters from said customers had problems with them on the 700D, 6D, 5D3 etc but there are newer ones available now.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

a1ex

My "optix v6" was also advertised as working on 5D3. At first sight it's fine, but once you use it for thousands of pictures, you can start noticing all sorts of quirks, like entering program mode whenever it wants, or the reported focal length and aperture changes, so it's kinda annoying. I ended up removing the chips from my lenses and focusing with DIGIC peaking, high sharpness in picture style and 10x zoom on half-shutter.

1%

I have no errors setting aperture on the FF capable newer adapter. However setting the aperture doesn't behave like real aperture even if the lens and chip are set the same. Canon still darkens it digitally.

j.otisk

This is old thread but with still actual problem. If anybody have this type of error with old lenses, please see http://www.butterflybikers.cz/index.php/cz/elektronika/item/1-canon-eos-protocol-convertor-for-old-sigma-lens for ERROR 01 solution for old lenses which don't understand aperture command.

EDIT: link corrected, thanks to dreadylocks for notice.

conurus

I just tried a Sigma 28-105/3.8-5.6 UC-III of 1999 vintage. On 5D Mark II the aperture does not operate. I got an Err 01 after the exposure. With Metabones Mark IV adapter and Sony A6300, however, the aperture works fine. So one way to use those very old Sigmas is to use them on a Sony. Metabones issues the 0x13 command to move the aperture for Canon lenses but use 0x12 instead for the old Sigmas.