noise in video

Started by nonac3, June 25, 2016, 12:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonac3

Hi Guys and thank you in advance.

I am still in the process of learning ML and its features. The reason why i thought ill give ML a go is because i was not happy with H.264 codec

But I am having problems with noise in my video. I tried ISO100 all the way to 2500
Can you guys please point me into right direction or what settings i should check? Its so confusing. As far as i know the low the ISO the cleaner the image. What am I missing?

I shoot with 5Diii and sandisk extreme Pro 160mb/s

Thank you

keepersdungeon

I don't know how it is on the 5dIII but on a 6D I don't go higher than 1600 ISO (3200 if really needed but it's a bit risky and u might get lost of artifacts and noise). After that u need to post process ur videos, here u have lots of softs and lots of workflow, I convert the mlv to dng using mlrawviewer then process them in resolve or sometimes raw therapee and after that I do the editing in premier.
You can find lots of other workflow in the forum or even on google.
Hope this helps

Walter Schulz

Some unprocessed and processed footage showing your problem would be fine.
Because there is none (yet) I might consult my magic ball:
- H.264 in Canon flavour does some heavy image processing. Upscaling, line skipping (if not 5D3), smoothing, noise reduction, sharpening.
- RAW/MLV does have problems with line skipping (if not 5D3 or using crop mode) but does not have smoothing, upscaling, noise reduction.
- Underexposed recording with ISO 100 will result in noise after exposure correction.

extremelypoorfilmaker

if you are having problem with NOISE in your footage, I would suggest to light your scene more and use the histogram provided. try to get the istogram to be somewhere in the middle and not crushed on either side.

Using MLV, if you overexpose properly and then darken the footage in post iso 1600 will look like iso 320 with not a hint of noise.

Frankly, on my experience, if you shoot RAW and overexpose (not too much of course) you don't get much noise till iso 3200

BUT that it's only my experience :)

Walter Schulz crystal ball is always the better choice :D

Levas

Just to make sure, what mode are you in, do you use M mode or Av or Tv.
You are aware that iso is just one of the three settings to influence light hitting the sensor?
You need to adjust iso, aperture and shuttertime all three to get good video

ibrahim

Regarding noise.
In some posts I've read that increments of ISO 200, i.e. 200, 400, 600 is the best way to go forward, while others claim that increments of 70, i.e. 70, 140, ... is the best way to go forward.
Which is true?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Levas

Iso increments in full stops, is doubling the numbers, 100-200-400-800 etc.
But you can also make increases in 1/3 stops, 100-125-160-200-250-320-400 etc.
By most camera's the intermediate iso's between the full stops are derived from the most near by full stop iso.
So if you use iso 160, you're camera is probably using iso 200 and digitally altering the exposure down to iso 160, which results in less noise(because of lowering the exposure).
But if you use iso 125, then you're camera is using iso 100 and digitally pushing the exposure to 125, resulting in more noise.

So noise wise, there are a lot of people using the 160-320-640-1280 iso's. But I doubt if you can see that much of a difference...1/3 of a stop less noise isn't that much.

Kharak

Raw video only uses analog iso. So 160, 320, 640..etc are not digitally pulled in the raw video, only the analog ISO's are recorded. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400. On a mark iii. Possibly 12800 also. If you use digitally pulled iso's you will be using false information for your exposures. So for raw video stick to the analog iso's and RAW zebras.

once you go raw you never go back

ansius

Quote from: Levas on July 02, 2016, 11:35:36 AM
So noise wise, there are a lot of people using the 160-320-640-1280 iso's. But I doubt if you can see that much of a difference...1/3 of a stop less noise isn't that much.

it makes sense when you use h264, I do that for most work, it is better just have to be more careful with highlights. I also when have to go up the ISO scale ramp up h264 bitrate, so i would get less artifacts and it would be easier to clean up after.

In raw video - have not done much, but yes stick with whole step ISOs that has given the best results for me.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

nonac3

I just had a look at some of my day time footage and it seems to be noise free. Here is a sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TitghP2bRRg

So it looks like noise only present at not so lit places. Is there anything else i can do to improve my noise levels except choosing right exposure settings and lighting up the scene? ( mind you I am not professional as you guys and i only shoot my family so i don't have any lights)
Thank you

Here is another video but overexposed. https://youtu.be/298geicx320

dratif

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 30, 2016, 08:12:47 PM
Some unprocessed and processed footage showing your problem would be fine.
Because there is none (yet) I might consult my magic ball:
- H.264 in Canon flavour does some heavy image processing. Upscaling, line skipping (if not 5D3), smoothing, noise reduction, sharpening.
- RAW/MLV does have problems with line skipping (if not 5D3 or using crop mode) but does not have smoothing, upscaling, noise reduction.
- Underexposed recording with ISO 100 will result in noise after exposure correction.

So MLRawViewer or conversion through there to Mov files has nothing to do with generation drop? Is it just about underlighting? because I have sensed the grain or vignetting even outside in broad day light.

Please advise.
5D3 | SanDisk 64GB 160- KB 64GB 1066x | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 70-300mm IS USM | Rokinon 85mm 1.5 | Nikon 50mm 1.4 | Nikon 28mm 2.8 | Tascam DR-60 Mk2 | Audio Tech. AT 8024 | MS7701B Boom | Aputure H198C | Monitor FreeWorld FW-759 | Tripod Oben AC-1341 | Head PH-368 | Slider SLD-31 | MBP 2015 mid

nonac3

Moderator. 3 of my post are missing. Could i please get some explanation why?
Thank you

Audionut

One was a double post that I added to your post above.

Another was a complaint that is answered here.  ie:  Use search.

Not sure what the third post was, but given you seem to have trouble following the forum rules.............