Doing anamorphic 2.35 with a 2x squeeeze anamorphic lens

Started by VincentAbert, June 25, 2016, 10:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentAbert

Hello ! I've done my research, and although it seems some people asked stuff close to this question, i didn't actually find an answer.

Here's the thing : as an introduction into anamorphic photography, I might buy some time soon a projector adapter that'll allow me to shoot anamorphics. Now I know it's not at all the easiest thing, and there are lots of drawbacks, but I'm really digging the look, and it would be a way for me to begin. The thing is, these old adapters are all 2x squeeze, which gives this 3.55:1 aspect ratio on a 16:9 sensor, that you can see on every anamorphic test ever and I just HATE that. Damn. Sorry. Anyways, I want to keep that 2.35 aspect ratio which is in my opinion quite incredible and full of possibilities composition-wise. So the way to go is to crop the left and right side of the image (I know it defeats the whole resolution boost anamorphics are supposed to give, but I'm really not here for that ; and what's more it'll cut out the softer parts of the image due to the adapter) sticking back to the aspect ratio I want. But in order to liveview this , the only solution I found is to make custom cropmarks, which makes the image in the center of the screen, with black bars all around it, and making it harder to see the shot.

So here's the final question : is there any way to actually liveview only the center 4/3 of the sensor (+ the anamorphic desqueeze), or maybe even to crop the recording, only at the 4/3 center part ? (maybe doing that would even enable magiclantern to get somehow a better resolution or at least bitrate ? (or this might be a completly stupid question, so just tell me in that case haha  ;) )

If not, will it be available anytime soon ? (It doesn't seem hard, anamorphic desqueeze (that already exists) + zoom in the image of about 1.4x, that stays this way during the recording). It would be great help, and you would definitely do something great for the world by helping all these people to NOT record some FREAKING 3.55:1 ASPECT RATIO, here I go again, sorry, sorry.

Thanks a lot !

Vincent

VincentAbert

Hey guys, sorry to come back at it, but I'd really like an answer... Right now, the live view looks like this, which is a little ridiculous

There is no way at all to zoom in on the recording ? (only on liveview)

a1ex

Not sure I understand the question, but the full-screen magic zoom (if available on your camera) might help a little. The zoom factor is fixed and varies by camera, though.

Getting custom zoom factors without slowing down the frame rate is not very easy, unless one manages to understand how to use Canon's image processing modules (here, for scaling some YUV buffer at arbitrary size).

If you don't mind the slower frame rate, modifying the anamorphic preview code shouldn't be very hard.

Hans_Punk

For shooting 2x it makes way more sense to shoot in the 4:3 aspect from the ML camera options...then de-squeeze the live view using the anamorphic display feature.
Don't know what camera you have - but if using 5DmkIII, 1600x1200 is a great 4:3 resolution when using 2x lenses as it will deliver 3200x1200 pixels at 2:1 aspect when de-squeezed in post. If you want a 2.35:1 delivery, simply crop the sides a little to around 2820x1200 to get that aspect. Whatever camera you have - if it can shoot 4:3 or as close to that aspect as possible - that is the correct process to get the most resolution you can from shooting 2x anamorphic.

monitoring wide aspects are much better suited on an external monitor that can de-squeeze the image for you, rather than add more strain on the camera doing it for you on it's inadequate sized LCD .
Having a larger external monitor massively helps with judging focus when shooting anamorphic.

I guess the only ML add-on that could be of use is to have a zoom control or 'auto scale' that takes the wide anamorphic de-squeeze preview - and scales it to fit the live view screen as much as possible, rather than retaining it into its scaled square letterbox frame. At the moment, an external monitor with desqueeze and variable display scale values is the better solution.